Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Eating On the Road (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Eating On the Road
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-26-2001 09:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I travel a lot for my job I have to eat "on the road" a lot. The standard choices of Applebee's, Golden Corral, Taco Bell and Mc Donalds, etc. get old pretty fast. One of the things I like to do is go looking for smaller "local" restaurants. I guess it's developing into a hobby of sorts. Sometimes you end up in some real dumps and other times you find a dingy, little out of the way place that doesn't look like much but ends up being pretty good.

Well, the place I just went to yesterday falls into the latter category. It's called "Billy's & Milly's Restaurant".

It's located on US route 29, about 40 miles south of Lynchburg, Virginia. It's in a town called Chatham, Virginia.

As you can see, the place doesn't look like much but it does have that "Small Town, USA" character that you just don't see anymore. That's what attracted my attention in the first place... That and the sign out front...

So I figured I'd roll the dice and see what it was like. You can tell it's definately no Maison Robert... More like Bob's Place!

Formica counters and wood paneling adorn the inside as you might expect. The food is served on blue Mel-Mac plates like the "Blue Plate Specials" of the old days. The menu is your basic "Meat-and-Two". (That's Southern lingo for a main dish with two vegetable/side dishes.) I had country fried steak with a sweet potato and corn pudding. It was pretty good. Again, not gourmet food but Good ol' Down Home Cookin' just like the sign says. Quite acceptable, if you take it at face value.

Now, leave your Visa card at home because their motto is, "In God we trust... Everyone else pays cash!" Don't worry, I got out of there with a tab of just under $6.00. $7.00 including the tip!

If you are looking for one of those out of the way places where the people are friendly, this is a place to put on your list. Next time I'm passing through, I'd definately consider stopping by to say, "Howdy!".

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-26-2001 11:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was their coffee?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-27-2001 01:50 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! Didn't have any! I'd been taking Vivarin so I didn't want to overdo it.

Two other guys came in right as I was finishing up and asked for coffee. The waitress who I bet was Milly, herself, said, "I'm jes makin' a freysh pot."

They didn't die when they drank it, if that means anything!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2001 08:21 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever get to Olympia, Wash, try Eagan's BIG TOM drivein restaurant. Best hamburgers and fries in the state! It's located in an old trailer (no indoor seating) and rather plain looking, but boy is the food good.

The nice part is it's about a block from my apartment!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2001 12:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In Dallas fast food places that stand out amidst the "crap" like McDonald's: Taco Cabana, Jake's Burgers, Taco Bueno, Mr. Jim's Pizza.

For sit down places in Dallas, Country Buffet is quite good and I think they have locations across the country...but not a lot of them. Enchilada's is a pretty darned good mexican sit down place too, with (I think) a couple of locations in Dallas. If you don't mind being the youngest person in the place by a good 20 years, Luby's cafeteria has lots of locations and they are the best cafeteria I've ever been to.

Sit down places in Denver include the Country Buffet and a place by the UA Greenwood theater in Englewood called Old Santa Fe. There are no fast food places that serve digestible food in Denver.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-27-2001 01:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm.... Mexican Food!
There's a good Mongolian Barbecue place called "Ghengis Kahn" at Military Circle in Norfolk, VA. There's also a good Indian joint right down the road from that.

Here's another place in Norfolk:

This one's for carnivores only! Vegetarians can pass this place up!

It's called "The Grate Steak". It's on Route 13 (North Military Highway) in Norfolk, VA. It's right near the Military Circle Mall. It's pretty easy to find.

Sort of a "Frontier Style" decor. You'll find lots of signs and knick-knacks on the inside. (Definately not like TGI Friday's, though!)

So what's on the menu? MEAT!!! If you want to cook a "Hunk O' Heiffer" this is one place you have to stop at. There are several different cuts to choose from, Delmonaco, T-Bone, NY Strip and more. You can get "Reataurant Cut" which is the normal size or "Owner's Cut" which is the larger size portion. Of course, there's an All-you-can-eat salad bar. No respectable restaurant like this would be complete without it.

This is a "cook it yourself" place. That's right! You get your meat RAW! You take it into the grill room and cook it over a giant charcoal pit!

If you want you can have one of the waiters, known as "Chef's assistants", help you cook your dinner. For an extra price you can have them cook it for you but where's the fun in that?
On the side are baked potatoes, bread and melted butter. You can use these to make your own garlic bread, etc over the fire while your meat is cooking.

Just for information... take a look at this next shot:

This is one day's worth of charcoal for this place. Something like 300 pounds! (That's 136 kilos to those of you across the pond!)

For those of you who don't want to cook your own meal there are other menu choices like "Crab Stuffed Flounder" but I've been here 3 or 4 times and have never tried it.

Prices are a bit on the steep side. Expect to pay $30 per person... More if you run up a bar tab. All major forms of plastic money are accepted, though.

To sum this place up in four words: MEAT!... BEER!... FIRE!... GOOD!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-27-2001 08:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Brad:

TACO CABANA RULES!!!!! Its the first place i hit after getting off the plane when I travel to San Antonio...

-Aaron

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2001 02:58 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I help my friend who is a cinema technician, each time we are finished with a job i.e. installing projector stuff, we would eat at the GERNERS GRILL HOUSE in our town. Gerner has the best hot-dogs in the town, including very tasty hamburgers and fries, beats McDonalds Big Mac! When ever your in the area you must visit! Also my friend Per who runs the lovely Malling bio (a pair of DP70! ) visits the place frequently!

------------------
Martin Frandsen
Film crazy!, Big 70mm fan!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-28-2001 04:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I've never been to Denmark, I have eaten at some of those raodside, "Frites" stands in Belgium.

It's probably just that we get used to the food we eat all the time but I'd say that some places in Europe (and elsewhere across the pond) have the best food I've ever eaten!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-29-2001 12:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right! Especially when my father-in-law cooks!

Did you know that Belgium actually invented the 'fry'? Those pesky French stole the idea and named it after themselves!

HOW RUDE!

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-29-2001 01:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes! When you get off the plane in Bruxells, that's practically the first thing they hand you! They check you at the terminal when you leave and you'll be sent back to go eat some before they'll let you out!

That and Belgian Waffles!\

I'm gaining weight just thinking about it!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2001 07:31 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy:

Next time you are thru Asheville, try stopping at exit 44 on I-40 and try the El Chapalla MEXICAN joint. I've eaten there several times and have not died, yet.

If I know about your arrival in advance, I'll do my best to meet you there.

Other than that, there's no other good places around here besides the TASTEE DINER on Haywood Road just a few miles off the interstate. They have good old greasy Southern cooking that can out-do any WAFFLE HOUSE anywhere!

I'm gettin hongry as I type...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2001 10:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always look for the nearest British styled pub and a Steak and Kidney Pie or a Bangers and Mash washed down with some good ale

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2001 05:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Is there still a place called the "Trail Dust Steak House" in the Denver area somewhere? I think it was in the Westminster Mall. This goes back a few years....man, they had good steaks there. Had a big wood-fired grill in the middle of the place where the steaks were cooked in front of everybody.

The coolest thing about the place was, no neck-ties were allowed there. (I remember a sign in the lobby, "Attention City Slickers: This ain't no country club...") If you walked in wearing a tie, a gal with a big pair of shears would ring a loud bell, and then cut the tie right off of you and allow you to staple it to the wall along with your business card. Needless to say the place was lined with ties.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-30-2001 07:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Denver, but there is one in Dallas. I've never been there, but have been tempted to go (with multiple ties stashed in my pockets) to see how long I could sit there with reappearing ties.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: