Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » UA Theaters Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: UA Theaters Trailer
Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2001 11:21 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone Seen that UA Theaters Trailer
with the Magic Hat???
I Like it is Cool Computer Animation.
I wonder How i can get a Picture of that??

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-02-2001 11:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 

It is officially called the "UA Magician" (but many refer to it as "Magic Hat" and "Lips") and it dates back to when Hoffa debuted.

There have been close to a dozen policy trailers that UA has produced since, but most were just horrible. Anyone remember the "Dino" trailer with the happy dinosaur that eats a customer?

Chevy Chase did one for them to promote his new show on the Fox network. For that matter, so did a couple of other of comedians for other new Fox shows. The funny part about those was that it seemed if UA hosted a policy trailer to advertise the show that the show would fail almost immediately.

Since the Magician there have only been two others that UA runs regularly. The "Bladerunner" and the "Odyssey". Here is a shot from Bladerunner...

The Odyssey is the only UA trailer to date that has SRD and SDDS tracks on them (but the SR track's audio starts way into the countdown leader ). Both feature computer animation with the lady who stands in a tank top and says "welcome" and the black guy who lives in the popcorn bin. (Anyone else ever wonder just exactly what he is doing in there? That smirk of his seems to tell that he is up to no good in regards to the "golden flavored topping".)

I prefer the Magician out of everything UA has ever produced. It is short, simple and doesn't try to be overly impressive. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like it.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2001 07:11 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat
Thanks

------------------

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God! was Dino bad. I loved those Fox trailers that advertized shows that were already cancled.

First rule is that a cinema shouldn't advertise for television!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-02-2001 07:47 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now they tell me! - Chevy Chase (briefly using John's registration codes)

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's trying to find a comedy writer who can write something decent for a performer of my obvious ability and then finding a director who won't stuff it up and then finding a new agent and then...".
Chevy Chase

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 03-02-2001 08:49 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love having known people who worked at UA.

Looking at all those pics of the UA Trailer made me want to go get my reels together and watch all my trailers.

Speaking of which -- GENERAL CINEMA!! I need a GCC Dancing Candy trailer.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad. What web Site did you get those
Picturs from???

------------------

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-03-2001 04:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those pics are Film-Tech exclusive pictures, as most graphics/videos are that exist on this site.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2001 08:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I made those shots direct from a 35mm print. It's a little technique that Joe and I worked out last summer.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 06:17 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a UA trailer that looks to be from the early 70's, it has a cool bass line and drums.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 12:44 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to love both the Chevy Chase tag, and tthe one with Don Rickles and Richard Lewis, I was fortunate to get a few of those a year back.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2001 02:19 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOh, i love policy trailers!
I always liked the UA trailer from about 1990-91(?) where this little comet like streak flies through this golden corridor and keeps pausing on signs hung on the wall that say things like "please deposit trash" and then the sign flips horizontally to reveal a graphic depicting what was spelled out. Early computer animation that was cheesy, but the synth music was neat. There was also another one from 1986 (according to the edge code) that had a blue background and animated lettering that spelled out the various policies with a sparkling point of light that scrolled left to right printing out the lettering. - "If sound, projection or temperature are a problem.. please notify the management"
at which point the word "IMMEDIATLY" flies from the edge of the frame into the center. very fanfare-ish music (lots of trumpets and drums). Speaking of policy trailers, was anyone here familiar with *the* Century trailer of the 80's? The animated century domes with the searchlights that would sweep the screen and spell out the policies? It has that lovely fanfare music that many audiences (at least in california) would clap to the beat.

Andrew Poulain
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2001 11:24 AM      Profile for Andrew Poulain   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Poulain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a San Jose State football game in 91 and saw the marching band perform the music to the old Century Theater policy. A large percentage of the crowd clapped along.

I still have a copy of that policy trailer in my collection.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 03-08-2001 06:57 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any Century Policy trailers... except one that was attached to a print of Living Out Loud.

I always wanted one that explained the Quiet Zone... with the flying bucket of popcorn.

Methinks I should find me way into a projection booth sooner or later and claim one of the NEW Spotlight trailers for me collection.

------------------
Scott D. Neff
"Biding My Time"

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 03-09-2001 07:27 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the early Front Row Joe trailers from Cinemark - good fun - the later ones were lame parodies of the original. The old Loews "Thank you for coming to Loews...Enjoy the Show! trailers were amusing, especially when Sony briefly flirted with changing the name to Sony Theatres, which of course didn't rhyme (a word I clearly don't know how to spell!).

I always wondered how many people were turned off by the head coming out of the bin of popcorn in the UA trailer - yuk! popcorn with hair. I also got a big kick out of the tag line in the UA theatres trailer "The Future of Entertainment"

Is AMC still using "Clip" - even though I annouced his retirement as a gag on this site at one point?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: