Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Strangest Thing You've Seen In Your Theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Strangest Thing You've Seen In Your Theatre
Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 11:21 PM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Among many of the nappy and disgusting things I am sure we have all found in our theatre (Used Condoms and dirty diapers to name a few) what are some of the WEIRDEST things you've seen in or around your theatre?

There is a man who frequents our theatre about once a month. Every single time he pulls up and parks, he gets out and buffs his ENTIRE car with a rag. Ooooooooook...

I once saw a younger kid laying on the ground with his head underneath the front of the curtain. I was trying to figure out what in the hell he was doing. It was during the credits of "The Matrix". He had stuck his head next to the woofers to feel the air they were pushing. =)

I've seen some other pretty weird things, but I don't feel I should mention them at this time. Curious to see what else happens out there...?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-05-2001 11:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran (as a union relief operator) at a sleeze theater in Oakland, California. I would like to think "I have seen it all", but I probably have not. However, I certainly will not go into details...

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-05-2001 11:56 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of our employees screwing in the back of the balcony, a man who curled up on the floor between the rows and went to sleep and wasn't discovered till the next day around 10am by the cleaning people, he said the movie was boring and he need some sleep, back in the
30s a man died sometime between his arrival during the last matinee and closing , he was discovered when he didn't wake up. A group of
about 10 people came in one night about 12 years ago and asked if they could sit in the balcony even though it was closed, they were allowed up. About an hour later the projectionist started to the lobby to get a Coke and discovered that they were nudists, they were allowed to stay as they were but were asked that if they wanted to do it again to please tell us so we would allow nobody else in the balcony.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-05-2001 11:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about these two guys come walking into the lobby carrying this ratty, old sofa. They give their tickets to the usher at the podium. (AND he lets them go through, sofa and all!)

Problem was that they couldn't get the thing through the door of the auditorium. The manager on duty stops them and asks them what the F*** they are doing. They said they wanted to go in and watch a movie "just like home". He sent them away but they dumped the ratty, old thing in the back parking lot. So... a couple hours later the thing found its way up to the booth. (I WONDER how that happened? )

A couple days later the boss came in and said the sofa had to go. To my knowledge the thing is still lying in the weeds at the bottom of the ravine out back of the theatre.

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 12:08 AM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh let's see. There could be lots of things I can put in the category as strange. I've had a homeless guy take a bath in the sink. Or, I had someone drop a lit cigarette in the trash can and set it on fire. Caught plenty of people screwing in the theatres. Had surround speakers stolen off the walls. And my city manager told me I didn't work in a bad part of town.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-06-2001 01:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working in a movie theater you really do "see it all". For instance waaaaay back when I was working in concession a couple came up and started ordering from the other concessionist on duty. The other concessionists' name was Adam. Anyway as Adam was ringing up their order the guy pulls his girlfriends' boob out of her blouse and shows it to him, asking Adam if he thought she had nice boobs. She didn't seem to mind. Adam just smiled and said "Yeah that's a nice one!" and continued with his duty.

I've had customers have heart attacks when I was managing. I really didn't think my management style was THAT bad. There's probably other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head right now.

As for employees having sex in the theater... been there done that

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 02:45 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

------------------

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-06-2001 08:04 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading in the papers that someone was found dead in their seat in a London muliplex a couple of years ago. He'd had a massive heart attack sometime during the matinee of 'Plunkett and Macleane'. I know this film is S**t but that was surely an over-reaction!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 02:00 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangest thing? The most puzzling was a set of dripping wet underpants. Everyone came in dry, and no one left without their pants on...?

The Rocky Horror crews have to be in a category by themselves.

Sleep-over, check.
Dead man, check.
Dead employee, not me but a friend found one, check.
Assorted form fitting rubber products, check.
A fish, check. (small sunfish some kid musta caught)
Wallet with over $1,000 in it, check.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 03:10 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 97, i was changing trailers on some movies. This particular theatre had 6 small booths for 10 theatres. We were never in the habit of sending back old trailers, so I usually threw the trailer away in a lobby trash can just outside the booth door.

A couple minutes later, I was in the lobby talking to my manager when we looked over and saw this man going through the garbage runnung the film through his hands. I found this a little odd, but it didn't bother me, nor did it bother my manager. He just wanted me to go over and make sure he was going to leave it in the trash can whenever he was done doing whatever it was he was doing and not make a mess with it.

So I go over and ask this man what he was doing.

"Do you know who Lucas is?" he asked.

"Yes." I responded.

"Do you know who Speilberg is?" he asked.

"Yes." I responded once again.

He then proceded to tell me that he had seen them both in separate interviews say that they liked the feel of film in their hands and he was trying to figure out "just what the fuck they get out of this."

He then asked me if I'd like to touch it, and I told him not really because I touch it all the time. Then he asked me if I'd like to touch anything else, to which I responded with "No, that's ok."

He asked me if either my manager or I had a problem with him messing with the film, and I said that there was no problem, but we just wanted to make sure he wasnt going to make a mess out of it. He jokingly said that he had planned on stringing it all over the theatre and asked if we would have a problem with that, and I told him that yes, we would. He said "Then I guess I'll leave it right here>" He threw the film back into the trash and went to his movie.
=============================================
There were other things that I didn't see,but was told about at another theatre I worked at.

The air conditioning in one of the theatres that was playing THE MUMMY was out and this employee went in and told the people that since the movie was shot in the desert, we wanted them to have the full effect of the film.

Near the end of the first run of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, some employees went in during the opening battle scene with brooms and water balloons and acted out in front of the audience what was happening on screen.

During the summer of 1999, some of these same employees were fired fo participating in "theatre beatings."
What they would do, is have an employee (sometimes male, sometimes female) go in out of uniform and sit down in the movie. Then another employee (usually out of uniform) would go in and and sit down next to this person and start sexually harrassing them. Ushers in uniform would go in a few seconds later as if to do a presentation check, see this happening and act as if they were beating this person senseless right in front of the audience. They were finally caught when a customer went out to complain and saw the guilty party coming out of the break room and pointed them out to the management.
=============================================
The theatre I left in October has had a few problems the last couple of months. One friday night after closing, mall security found a hatchback with a body in it that had been shot in the head. I haven't heard the whole story, but from what I've heard, this was an "accidental suicide."
You may be asking how you accidentally shoot youself in the head in the back of your car in the parking lot of a movie theatre.
Well, as it turns out, these guys were playing a little game called "Russian Roullette" and this lucky bastard won (or lost) the game. His friends panicked and drove off.
The very next day, they got to deal with two fights in the lobby and three more that almost happened.
A couple weeks ago, the concession stand was shut down for seven hours because of mice.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 03:36 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than the standard unusual things...

I heard of an employee acutally living behind on of the screens. This employee was AWOL from the Navy, had roomied with one of the other employees there, and got kicked out, and had been living behind the screen for about a month, unknown by the managers. This screen is also in the haunted auditorium. Funny thing is, is that once the managers went home for the night. The alarm was set, couldn't open any doors, or leave the auditorium because of motion sensors.

Same theatre, before I got there. A woman was DWI, drove THROUGH the box office, lobby, conession stand and into an auditorium. Fortunatly this was after hours and only person in the building was the janitor, and she was in annother part of the building. I saw the pictures and it was trashed. On the plus side of it. The chain was forced to remodel the box office and lobby.

Annother instance at the same theatre... Someone broke into the theatre at night, used a tensabarrier pole to smash the glass on the candy display. while they were reaching in to get the goods, a piece of the plate glass fell down cutting thier hand. No missing candy, but a trail of blood leaving the theatre.

Once had a child get stuck UNDER a seat. Had to unbolt the seat from the floor to get him out.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 04:00 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once a handicapped customer arrived in one of those motorized wheelchair/scooter contraptions. He asked the usher to look after his scooter while he watched the movie. The usher was more than pleased to do this and began joyriding the thing all over the lobby and down the sidewalk. At one point, he was in the back of the lobby when a customer walked in. He pushed the joystick and zoomed right up to the stanchion with a giant grin on his face.

On a real slow night, a different usher was standing at the door extremely still and quiet, lost is his thoughts. This old guy came in and thought he was a mannequin.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2001 09:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul, Was that Bob Dominicks sleeze theater you worked at?
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-06-2001 11:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I don't know who owned it, but it was the Pussy Cat Theater. The other was the Esquire.

Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2001 11:56 PM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Episode 1 was released, we had a few super-extra-excited employees. Opening night they began to take the aluminium handles off of the floor hokeys, and coreographed an entire duel. Three employees in all. It took them several days to get it down pat, but once they did, they had been through seven hokey handles, and one of them had bruises because they went all out. They were actually trying to beat the hell out of each other! Their hands were all messed up and three of the handles snapped entirely... Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: