Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Flying cars (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Flying cars
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-30-2001 02:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a news article on the car of the future - one that will fly.

OOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKK............

As far as the highway is concerned, there are so many dilrods that should not have a driver's license in the first place.

Flying cars? I can see it now - hundreds of thousands of cars flying through the air, with an equal number of mid-air collisions.

If highly trained aircraft pilots can't stay out of each other's way, I think we will be in a very interesting time of history when the average joe blow that doesn't know his backside from two bits is put in the cockpit of a flying car.

Then I wonder where they are going to land that damn thing. Parking spaces are almost impossible to find now.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 02:24 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great. I can increase the number of car we allow at our drive in. Lets see we hold 501, should be able to hover another 501 at least. Maybe we will only run half a week and make as much money. It will help out the energy shortage out here as well as the bottom line. When do these cars go on sale?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-30-2001 02:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they'll make that sound like George Jetson's car did in "The Jetsons?" I hope so! Childhood dreams come true! Oh wait, I own a theatre, I'll never be able to afford one of these.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-30-2001 02:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want a flying car. I don't want everyone else to have a flying car, though. I don't think that "just anybody" will be able to get them.

Where would we land them? We would land them on Paul G. Thompson's house and yard, of course! Seriously though, look to see this utilized as mass transit first (like a bus) that will be guided and not able to veer off any which way. Will they crash? We'll see.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-30-2001 03:26 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! (_!B!_), Joe!

I am in the middle of navy aircraft bounce pattern now as it is. All they do is make noise, including pissing hydraulic fluid and jet fuel all over the windshields of my cars.

I don't need a 1939 flying Buick adding to it. That's worse than a 500 pound seagull.

I wish I had a diarrhea machine that was capable through osmosis of causing the pilots to develop a screaming case of the shizeling drits and could not make it to the bathroom. Then, nobody would want to fly that aircraft again.

Maybe there would be some peace and quiet around here then...

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-30-2001 07:35 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A flying car in New York City...absolutely make mine a 58 Impala convertible, as long as I don't get into a perpendicular traffic jam it will be great.

Paul where did you see this?

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 08:10 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the article about some guy named Mosser (sp?). If so, he's been trying to promote flying cars for years. I remember seeing articles about him in the early 1970s. He apparently gets enough investors interested that he can continue his "research" and make a good living besides. He always is "just on the verge of going into production" and spinning off promotional material. After twenty years of hearing his hype, my personal opinion is that the guy is a huckster and snake-oil salesman.

FWIW, I've seen a couple of flying cars at the big transportation museum in Denver and elsewhere. The one with the trailer in back for the wings looked like it would be a pain in the butt. There was another made of plywood that looked like someone had taken a section of wing, chopped it off at 8' width and added a windshield and propeller. According to the display, it actually flew and the inventor used it for a while. I don't count the auto-gyros that were promoted during the early days of helicopters, but some of those could be considered flying cars.

The name of that museum was the Forney Museum, ( www.forneymuseum.com ). I highly recommend it for anyone interested in trasportation. There is one of the big challenger locomotives on display, tons of autos including steam cars, horse drawn wagons and carriages, and a bunch of other exhibits. The web page sucks, but when I saw the museum in 1992 at the old building the collection was friggin' amazing.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-30-2001 09:33 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We already have flying cars! Anybody with enough $$ can buy one!......

They call them HELICOPTERS!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 09:38 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My shop was on the Arlington airport for a number of years, and there was a business there that was trying to make money, I mean flying cars. They were always getting new investors. All I ever saw was some mockups which looked like the spinner in the first Star Wars film. They were always getting new backers and always almost ready to make it work (just a little more funding).
How would these kids lower a flying car?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 10:48 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the movie "Fifth Element" which had some awesome 3D driving shots with cars going all over the place through the air. Imaging what traffic control would be like in 3D.

Evans

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-30-2001 11:08 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how many people seem to be incapable of driving non-flying automobiles in a safe and courteous manner, I think that I would prefer not to ever let any of them near a flying car.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-31-2001 01:32 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I saw a tv show that spoke of the same thing. My first thought was, that'll never work because no one would observe traffic patterns. Heck, they blow past stop signs now! Anyway, there are too many morons on the road for this to ever come true.

That's all you'd need, is some idiot coming up from under and crashing into you. Or from above.

The show later concluded, as I did almost immediately, that it could never work for these reasons.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-31-2001 02:38 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, they are going to be computer controlled. Cool. Reboot in the middle of the flight! Oh, Gosh - My gyros tumbled.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2001 03:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the cars are controlled by Windows® then we are in trouble. Or anything controlled by MicroSoft®™© for that matter.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-31-2001 11:51 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Gives new meaning to the Blue Screen Of Death! A fatal exception has occurred ...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: