Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windy City theatres

Author Topic: Windy City theatres
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2001 10:37 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be attending the GSTA conference in Chicago in September and on those few odd hours when we won't be watching the latest IMAX movies and drinking beer at The Goose Island Brewery I'd like to take a look at any outstanding theatres.

Any suggestions? Advice on any other microbreweries also welcomed.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-06-2001 01:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dick hop on the Train and come to Toronto (we might even screen te new prints of North of Superior and A Place to Stand for you)
We have lots of excellent BrewPubs here

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-06-2001 02:09 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick, Since no one in the Windy City has answered I think you should go to Toronto and visit with Gordon. Then after you have been given the royal treatment by our Canadian cousins come to New York and see some magnificent auditoriums. Take in a Broadway show, dine at Daniels and you may never want to go home.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2001 02:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an ex chiocago area resident I keep pretty good track of whats going on there .... however, there are really no good movie theatres in chicago or the chicago area anymore. Just mainstream crap, imporperly restored supposed movie palaces or plexed and cut up palaces of years gone by.
The Chicago Theatre is no longer film equipped nor is the Palace or Oriental or any of the other downtown movie palaces that are still standing and restored. However, these theatres are well worth going into for a look around, especially the Chicago which is an absolute knockout. The Uptown with it's acre of seats(just on the main floor) is in the renovation stages now, having been closed for several decades.
There is one place wotth seeing on the near north side. Its called Copernicus Center. Its an old atmospheric theatre that has been totally restored and is now a polish residents center. This place is still film equipped and has Simplex XL's # !05 and 106 with a pair of Super Cinex's on the back. Super Cinex's used to be all over the city at one time.
Out in Dekalb there is the Egyptian Theatre which is also nice, but smallish. It was restored by Konrad Schmidt though and the detailing is impeccable. In Aurora is the Paramount Theatre(now Paramount Arts Center) which is another proper, impeccable restoration.
The rest of what lies in and around Chicago has either not been correctly restored or is simply not worth taking the time to see.

I highly reccommend the trip to see Gord in Toronto. He will show you areound(time permitting) and allow you to have the best seat in the house for viewing as many Imax films as you want to see. The Imax "vaults" in the Cinesphere are very interesting as is the fact that it is Imax projector #1! All in all I've had far more fun in Toronto than Chicago any day. If you make it to Toronto you need to continue up about 100 miles north to Kinmount to see Highlands Cinemas Museum and theatres. This is probably the most unique cinema and museum you will ever have the chance to go through. There are a few pictures of the place posted on the picture page.
Mark @ GTS

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 08:48 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The time will literally be hours rather than days so I don't think I'll have time to go visit Gord this time round but I would love to see which version of number 1 they're running at Cinesphere at the moment. An ex employee of Ontario Place and IMAX once suggested I take a scuba trip to the bottom of Lake Ontario to see parts of the first #1 I hopefully ,at some time in the near future , will get to Toronto anyway on a separate trip.

Mark thanks for the info on all those sites.

Bob ,the Big Apple as always sounds inviting but I 've been there twice in the last three years so that will have to wait.

If I do get a few extra days (please god) I will probably head west to LA to see Paul Rayton at The Egyptian and some Cinerama guys

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 02:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Theatre Historical Society of America has its museum and historical archives at 152 North York (the York Theatre Building) Elmhurst, Illinois 60126. You generally should make an appointment and/or verify when they are open. They have a website at www.historictheatres.org

John Schulien
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for John Schulien   Email John Schulien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Music Box Theatre is worth seeing. It's an 800 seat miniature movie palace, built in 1929, and is a real gem -- in nearly original condition, complete with star projectors on the ceiling, and a sort of Spanish/Moorish fantasy theme. The theatre was beautifully restored in 1983. Now it's billed as "Chicago's Year-round Film Festival", and their schedule is a nice eclectic mix of art films, independent films, and repertory. They don't show current Hollywood films though.

When they got into financial trouble, instead of multiplexing the main auditorium, they bought up an adjacant building, and added a 100 seat second theatre, and it isn't just a box -- they decorated the room in a "garden" theme to complement the main auditorium.

The Music Box is also one of the only theatres in Chicago where that gives a damn about presentation. The picture is always bright and in sharp focus. They go out of their way to book new 35mm prints of repertory films when they can, and they even mention it in their advertising.

The main thing to be aware of if you decide to visit is that there isn't quite enough legroom between rows of seats, but right in the middle of the auditorium is a horizontal aisle, and if you sit there, you'll have the best view, *and* plenty of room to stretch your legs.

In short, it's my favorite theatre in Chicago and an excellent example of a small, surviving vintage movie palace. There's a good history of the theatre, as well as a schedule, at their web site:
http://www.musicboxtheatre.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2001 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
Man, I almost forgot about The Box. Yes, absolutely go see it. Also the Patio Theatre on the near northwest side is another Atmospheric Palace worth seeing. Ask them to turn on all the effects machines if you go there. Its a wonderfully restored theatre that has an Altec A-2 for center channel.
Mark @ GTS

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2001 02:28 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well John, I think The Music Box it is. Thanks for the info

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-19-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Neff and I are flying into Midway at about 11am on Wednesday February 26 and going to be around until Sunday afternoon.

So if anyone wants to get together while we're in town, say something!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-19-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you must certainly stop by my screening room. It's nothing out of the ordinary in terms of equipment but I feel comfortable calling it The Most Important Screen Between the Coasts (TM) because of the nationally televised and syndicated reviewers who view a large percentage of the films they review in my facility. I mentioned a few Chicago area film attractions in another thread.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: