Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Musical Tastes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Musical Tastes
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering what kind of music everyone on the forum enjoys listening to. I prefer to listen to punk rock, and hardcore (hardcore=like punk but harder) My favorites bands are Blood For Blood, and Reach The Sky. I was just curious what you all listen to

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-26-2001 11:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't listen to much "radio music" or bands. Like Dwayne, I like soundtracks. Movie and videogame soundtracks. But I do have one stipulation: The music has to be good before I will like it. Usually people overlook the fact that music should be good before they like it

I do think bands like "The Offspring" suck and incredible amount of ass, though. And I am growing weary of techno. It sounds all the same (super fast fake drums with a few samples thrown in). Good techno is awesome, but it is really hard to do and it is very rare.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2001 11:27 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I forgot to say, O despise bands like Limp Bizcut and any commercial teenie bopper type of stuff. Soundtracks are cool. My favorite soundtrack is Waking Ned Devine (I'm Irish I love bagpipes )

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-27-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
let's see now.

Metallica anything from black album back som newer stuff is ok
Megadeath
Korn
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
Dio
Kiss seen em Five times
Ted Nugent
Aerosmith
Alice In Chains
Rush
Pink Floyd
Rage Against The Machine
Rob Zombie
Scorpions 80's stuff
Iron Maiden
and the list goes on

Do like other kinds of music besides the heavy stuff Just depends on the mood.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 12:44 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my music collection is predominately soundtracks. The music to most of those video games out there is also really cool, even better than some material from some of the movie score composers out there now. I have a few classical albums and some 80's rock and roll music. I love 80's stuff. Techno is cool, like Joe says, if it's done right. Otherwise it can be annoying. Heavy metal can be good for the circulation but I can't listen to some of the heavy metal out there or else I'll want to beat the hell out of everything I see. Some New Age is cool on occasion. I also like a good Celtic tune myself every now and then. And of course you just can't beat a good polka. That's why I own a lot of "Weird Al" Yankovic stuff too! "Weird Al" always puts a smile on my face if I'm not laughing my ass off.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2001 01:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird Al is fun. 80's stuff is cool as well. Forgot about that.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 01:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to just about everything, except New Age.
I'm not knocking New Age, it obviously is making a significant connection to many people. But not me!

Today's music appreciation classic: "Big Legged Women" by Jerry Lee Lewis, excerpted at the CD Now web site (listen before you buy!)

CLICK HERE

(William-please edit your URLs per the FAQ-Brad)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-27-2001 01:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, this old buzzard likes Pink Floyd. Also, Vangelis, and Synthesizer Greatest, along with soft rock, and oldies, and some Country as long it isn't snot slinging beer drinkin songs where you lost your dog, your house, your 4X4, your old flea-bag, (wife) and the rest of that crap.

Rap and Jazz - well, you can jam that stuff where the Good Lord intended for such things to be jammed.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 05:40 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to be a fan of Industrial, Gothic, Techno, Electronic music, or anything with big beats.

Ministry
NIN
Meat Beat Manifesto
Nitzer Ebb
Front 242
Chemlab
Skinny Puppy
Orbital
Fluke
Blue Man Group
Lords Of Acid
Eon
La Tour
KLF
Chemical Brothers
Consolidated
KMFDM
Sister Machine Gun
Beastie Boys
...and so forth. I also enjoy orchestrated scores such as Vangelis, John williams, Danny Elfman (especially Elfman), Horner (except Titanic). Lastly, I just New Wave 80's music. that is where I started to get my tastes now such as The Cure, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Love and Rockets, The Clash, Angent Orange, Devo...I can go forever so I will stop now.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas Colonnade14
Las Vegas, NV

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-27-2001 07:47 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess to many of you out there in film-tech land I am about to show my true colors.

I grew up in the 40's and 50's and I still play most of the songs from that era. Early rock and roll, country music, Broadway show tunes. Irish and German Music,Classical Music from the Masters.

Elvis
Hank Williams
Hank Williams Jr.
Woody Guthrie
Kris Kristoferson
Vaugn Monroe
Johnny Ray
John Denver
Dean Martin
Perry Com
Frank Sinatra
Teresa Brewer
Doris Day
Rosemary Clooney
The Platters
The Del Vikings
The Cool Tones

Now everyone wants to know who the "Cool Tones" were. Well I was one of them and we existed from 1956 to 1959. We sang wherever we could and were similar to a barbershop quartet. This is how I made money while going to College.

Favorite Performer You can check her out at: http://www.saucysylvia.com

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 08:09 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Music i Listen to are

Smooth Jazz
Film Score Music
and Japanese Anime Music

------------------

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2001 09:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie Tunes! I listen to it all the time--at home and in my car. I think it's the greatest thing ever. I like to play it loudly in my car with the windows rolled down at the beach and watch beautiful scantily-clad women come rushing towards me, screaming "Ooooohhh! I love a guy who likes Movie Tunes!"

Actually, I don't.

I like pretty much everything. Classical. Rock. Alternative. Electronic. Punk. Jazz. Soundtracks. Etc. Rap and country don't do much for me, although I do have an album by "MC Solaar" who is a French rapper...it has amusement value, anyway. Most of the current "radio friendly" songs aren't very appealing to me. I used to be a really big Beatles fan until I had a roommate who was a bigger Beatles fan and insisted on listening exclusively to Beatles songs all day long....

Currently in CD player: Digger -- "Trainwreck." Currently on turntable: Potatomen -- "Now." Currently in tape player in car: "Lawrence of Arabia" soundtrack. Currently on floor of car: lots of stuff.

BTW, Sean, I'm actually familiar with Reach the Sky; I took these pictures at one of their shows this spring.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 10:02 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid in the early '60's, I lived next door to a juke-box company owner. They gave me everything that came off the boxes around town. I still have about 5000 45's in decent shape, and not for sale.

My parents got me hooked on their music early-on. So, I LOVE Big Band recordings (Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Desi Arnaz, etc.)

Also have a major love for any theatre PIPE ORGAN recordings. I recently found both recordings that were made at the FOX Theatre in Atlanta.

I also love:

Rock and Roll (I have 4,500 LP's)
some Country (250)
Classical (1500)
Easy listening (120)
Polka (and that includes Lawrence Welk in his prime!) (25)
Soundtracks (130)
TV theme music (20)

The one I dislike is RAP or Hip-Hop. These guys playing this in their cars make my entire house rattle as they go by in the street. Why would I enjoy music that has an irritating voice bitching about any and everything??

Sorry if I ruffle any RAP feathers, but I just dont like it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-27-2001 01:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in a hurry when I added my 2 cents worth, I was not really specific. So, I'll add three cents.

Enigma, Enya, Vangelis, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, movie sound tracks, Harmonicats, Duane Eddie, Roy Orbison, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkle, Abba, Neil Diamond, Heart, BTO, Chris Issac, Byron Adams, Michael Bolton, Pink Floyd, George Strait, Mantovani, Gordon Lightfoot, some classical music, a touch of Disco, Iggy Pop, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Fleetwood Mac, plus lot of the Rock and Roll stuff from the '50's. and some others, dating back to the '40's. (where does it stop?)

Unfortunately, some of the CD's I have of the above have only one good song, and the rest are worthless, with the exception of Enigma, Enya, and Vangelis.

Usually, the entire movie sound tracks are excellent.

Once in a while, I like to listen to low-key spiritual music, as it does help bring down the high blood pressure.

For some reason, I have to hold firm on Rap music. Probably because of the obnoxious language. Jazz music I never did like - maybe because some of the musical instruments look like restroom and bathroom fixtures.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2001 01:28 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott thats awesome. Ive seen RTS too. Dropkick is definately another great band I should have mentioned before.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: