Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Questions you get asked socially (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Questions you get asked socially
Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2001 06:38 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you hate those questions you get asked when people find out you work in a cinema, as a projy etc..? For instance, my pet hate is-

Q. Oh, you must get to see all the films then?
A. Actually, i'm too busy to watch the films

(and the answer i'd like to give, and occasionally do)..

A. Eh, well actually i'm so busy working my ass off that if i want to see a whole film properly i have to come in on my day off, and i really don't want to do that, i prefer to have a life, plus if i do i'll either spend the entire picture running up to the booth to get the picture just perfect for me, or i'll end up getting called to some disaster in another screen.

That's an example, but i'm sure you all have more
What questions do you get asked, and what do you answer (but, more importantly!, what would you LIKE to answer!)

Not relevant to this post, but something i just remembered-
My old Chief was onced asked if he watched films at home, his reply was-

"Well, sometimes, but after about 20mins i get up to see how the rest of the house is getting on!"

Classic, i love that one!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2001 08:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's how it goes with me:

Q: I bet you get to see all the films, huh?

A: You bet your ass I do. I watch em all twice.. 'cept for Freddy Got Fingered... or any movie with that goatee guy in it. Every once in awhile I'll get up off my ass and do some work, but usually I am too lazy. And yes, I can get you and all of your friends and family into the movies for free without prior notice, with free popcorn and drinks.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2001 11:01 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 comments that annoy me the most.

(People thinking its a big ol' VCR)

"Why would someone pay you to push a start button?"
&
"You must have a real easy job, sit upstairs and watch movies all day long."

These are 2 comments that have been made by my friends and I wasn't only a projectionist but a GM also. YEAH, REAL EASY!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-10-2001 12:06 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My stock answer is, "It's my JOB so I see so many damn movies I'm totally SICK of them!"

If you REALLY want to mess with somebody's head you make something up about a movie... "Did you see that scene in <some movie> where you can see that girl's bare butt in the background?"
The more obscure, if not totally made up, details you can toss in the more fun you can have.... "Right after the opening credits, this car drives by in the background and there's a girls butt sticking out of the car window! The story is that the movie was shot on location but these people slipped by security. The director didn't cut it out because nobody noticed it until after the film was sent to the duplication lab."

Really play it up and mess with them!

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 03:42 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the one I get all the time..."Can I have a pass or two?" Like I fricken carry passes everywhere I go when I am not working. It is amazing how passes become gold and everybody starts to cozy up to you get something out of you. I am going to stop here now because I feel a seizure coming on if I still ttttttttyyyppyppoueegjeyddg.....aaahh crap.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-10-2001 08:30 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My response is to the "You must get to see a lot of movies!" is usually something along the lines of:

When I was a GM:
"Yeah, I do, but I see so damn many of them I don't really care what they are anymore. The only way I enjoy movies anymore is if they make a lot of money so they keep my theatre busy so my staff doesn't have time to complain about it being too slow."

or:
"I see so damn many movies that I don't care what I'm watching anymore. As long as I can sit down, and have the movie exceed my expectations, I'm happy. Because when you're watching some horrible family film, you just have to hope that it's better than you thought when you walked into the theatre. As long as it's better than I thought it was."

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 10:49 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

The one I always get is..."What movies are showing" and even worse! "What time do they start!"

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good thread - long overdue!

When people ask what I do and tell them I'm a projectionist, I've had people ask me what that means. Often, they don't seem to have any concept of what it means, let alone what's involved. When I tell them what a projectionist is, they say, 'Oh...', and immediately lose all interest in the conversation.

Either that, or they become excited and ask you that ubiquitous question about getting to see all the movies and of course, asking if they can come in for free. (If she's attractive, I usually tell her that I can take someone else in for free anytime!)

It would have to be one of the most misunderstood vocations out there! Generally, I have found that people do not seem to look at projection as a serious job (even though they may have never heard of it before). Perhaps that's because they don't understand what it is, or don't think it's important enough, or because it has been 'deprofessionalised' (I love that term!). You get the feeling that they would be more impressed and take you seriously if you said that you...did almost anything else. It can't be a money thing, because they wouldn't know how much I get paid. But there's that unmistakable sinking feeling that accompanies the reply of 'Oh...'.

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 03:05 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q: What do you do for your day-job?
A: Clean up after people like you, book movies, try to get adverstizing materials, work on the projectors, order supplies, pay bills, and orgainize protests and letter writing campaigns for "Exhibitionists Against Stupid Patrons."

Q: Could you show me how to run a movie?
A: This ain't like poppin' in a tape of "Little Mermaid" for your baby sister. This is actually a technical skill -- you know, like where you have to know something before you do it. Not like what you do for a living . . . .

Q: Why do you charge so much for snacks?
A: Greed. Unrestained Greed. It's really just that simple.

Q: Do people sneak in a lot?
A: Yes, but they never leave. If you ck the revised stautes for our fair state, theater owners are granted immunity to prosocution in the event they kill non-paying trespassers. Bounties are offered for that species too cheap to even pay for a matinee.

Q: Do you ever get tired of seeing all those movies?
A: No. I'm legally blind.

Q: What's your favorite movie?
A: Milk Maids from Mars or Amazon Women from the Avacado Jungle.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-10-2001 04:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one...

When you ask someone out on a first date don't say what your job is. Just give some vague description. Say you are a "technician" or a "machine operator".

Of course the usual first date outing is to go to the movies. Take your date to the theatre and when you get to the head of the line say, "Hi!", to the box office person, get your tickets and sign-in on the pass log. Hand your ticket to your date and make for the lobby.
Don't say anything about it unless your date brings it up first.

It's a great way to "score points" on a date!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-10-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, that works much better if you call the manager ahead of time and arrange for them to pamper you when you arrive and to use phrases like "yes Sir, Mr.Stankey, right away". I've done this for friends and even brought in a couple of good humored employees in on the joke. The would see him enter and rush up ahead of him to the auditorium door to hold it open, then rush around and dust off his chair and take the concession order, which would of course be brought to his seat with no mention of money. (They would give us $20 ahead of time and would pick up the change later that night or the next day.) Further phrases such as "will you be requiring anything else Mr.Stankey?" also work wonderfully. The look on the date's face is hilarious. Just make sure you only do it on a very slow weekday and they arrive early for their show so no other patrons see anything.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only bad thing about that is it gives the impression that you are too cheap to pay for a real date. I think movies are a lame first date. There is next to no interaction at all.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-11-2001 12:07 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OR.. if you REALLY want to mess with somebody's head...

Call ahead and let them know you're comming but THIS time tell them to completely IGNORE you. Then you take your date on a short drive which just "happens" to be right by the theatre. You get a sly look on your face and say, "Hey! Wanna' sneak into the movies?"
You say, "Just act natural..." You casually walk in the front door and stroll right into the theatre.

If you REALLY want to F*** with them, when the movie is over you stand up, walk out of the auditorium and say, "Lets sneak into the projection booth!"

Gordon Hedges III
Jealous of everyone not me

- posted 09-11-2001 12:25 AM      Profile for Gordon Hedges III   Email Gordon Hedges III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually tell people that I am a "PRODUCER" and "DIRECTOR"...

I PRODUCE your tickets...
and I DIRECT you to your auditorium...

But people just look at me now and ask if they know me from somewhere... Then realize I am from the local movie theatre.

Or when I work at multiple theatres in a short period of time... "Didn't I see you at the other place?"

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2001 03:47 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remembered the daftest thing ever asked by someone in my local pub, when they found out that I was a projectionist.
" Can you see the screen from where you are? "
Absolutely true.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: