Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinematour gone?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cinematour gone??
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2001 09:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to Cinematour.com ? All I can get is a message from Keytech Internet Services.
I need my Cinematour!

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-31-2001 09:36 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Adam will have it back up and running in no time. I think I got something like this when he took it down for the major re-vamping last year.

Hopefully he's just getting ready to put in a major update -- and then we can have many many more theatre tours to look at.

I for one, as soon as my new CPU shows up from Gateway (annny day now) am going to scan in about 25 rolls of film and send a LOT of California pics... as if California needs any more information to make it load slow.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-01-2001 12:44 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The site is back up now. Stupid ISP.

I do have a huge amount of new stuff for the site in my Inbox, but I must get my new theater opened first. Events started on Monday, and the public opening is on the 16th, just in time for Harry Potter. Yes, for those counting, that is three weeks of pre-insanity insanity!

And I'm about halfway through the stack of pix Ken sent me.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 11-01-2001 04:59 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're lucky my house is a mess -- I can't even begin to FIND my scanner under all this stuff -- so you can rest easier without my oodles of pics in your in-box.

But let me tell you -- when my couches show up in two weeks -- and I can begin finding a point to cleaning up this house -- I'll get some good stuff sent over to you.

-Scott

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-01-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been able to reliably connect to cinematour for several days. Tried from work & home. Whassup Adam?? I WANT MY CINEMATOUR! (especially now that I have broadband!)

Adam Martin

- posted 11-01-2002 10:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The site is doing about 25 gig in bandwidth every month. And I think the server went down for part of a day the other day. I couldn't get my email or anything.

Anybody know PHP and MySQL? I really need to get this thing on a live database to ease up the bandwidth.

Adam Martin

- posted 11-14-2002 05:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Growing pains. I have arranged for another subdomain to be opened up, and I should have the site rearranged with this weekend's update.

A request: If anyone is using one of the monstrous state listing pages as a home page in your browser, please help me out with the bandwidth problem by using the main page (here) as your home page instead. Thanks!

If I ever get caught up on my inbox, I promise to get the database online. Hopefully, sometime this winter. Unless, of course, someone wants help me set it up for free.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to access Cinematour several times already and it's down.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-14-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I know you know this already, but those monstrous state listings (like California) are killing you. Just clicking on "California" results in a humongous download due to all the preview pics. There must be a better way...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-14-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anybody know PHP and MySQL? I really need to get this thing on a live database to ease up the bandwidth.

How will this ease up your bandwidth usage?

quote:
I have arranged for another subdomain to be opened up, and I should have the site rearranged with this weekend's update.

If you have used (or would change to) relative links or links starting from the domain base (links starting with a forward slash) you could just mirror the entire site (instead of trying to do a 'balanced re-organization') on both domains and then use a cgi script to do a quasi load balance by sending every other user to the sub-domain. This would work really good if you put the whole site in a single full page frame, but is not absolutely necessary.

You might also want to look into hosting at tera-byte dot com ( here ) they've been around for 'a long time'. I've used them for some stuff for the past few years and only have experienced 6 minutes of total downtime (at about 3:00am) for a backup power generation upgrade. Their website says $55/US for 50GB monthly.

Adam Martin

- posted 11-14-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How will this ease up your bandwidth usage?

I shall use the state of California as an example. Currently, when a user loads the California page, it displays all 1876 theaters and 678 photos. If I use a live database, I can set it up to break the page into easy-to-chew 100 theater groups to display, with links to "jump to page x" or "jump to city x". The California page is about 1.5MB of html plus photos as it is now. That's where the bandwidth is to be saved.

It will also allow "staff" to sign in and see things not available to the general public without me having to produce (and upload) two different pages like I'm doing now.

As far as using relative links, I'm using DOS-type links now ( ../../whatever/blah. htm ) so that I can easily do all of my work on my PC without having to run Apache to view the pages while I'm working. I also work off of my laptop (very important on the road!) and the PC at work (don't tell my boss -- he thinks its corporate email! ), and occasionally produce a CD-ROM version of the entire site for "staff" that can be run on any PC.

When the site goes database, I can still use my current DOS-based crappy old database to do my work on, but export through a text file to the MySQL database online for the once-a-week update. I like the crappy old database because I am fluent in its odd scripting language and everything I use is a custom script. I don't have time to learn how to use a new database.

As you can see, my needs are kind of weird.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 12:04 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here is gone

Adam Martin

- posted 11-17-2002 02:59 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having problems with drive-ins. com off and on for about a year now. It comes and goes.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-17-2002 03:04 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are having problems with DNS, you might want to consider adding some DNS servers to your domain. www,everydns,net (here) offers a very reliable (hasn't gone down since they started) DNS service. Currently they have four servers (one over seas, two in San Diego, one somewhere else).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-17-2002 08:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam -- I'd be happy to run DNS for you; let me know what you need.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: