Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Opera 6 Kick's A$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Opera 6 Kick's A$$
Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2001 07:13 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For such a long time I have been looking for a completely independent browser that is standards compliant and will fool microsoft's passport/hotmail into thinking that you are running Internet Explorer - I am finally in heaven. The last version of opera (5.12) was pretty decent except having to turn java off to acces Film-Tech to get around the no bookmarking error, but the new Beta Release has been running extremely well now for the past couple of days, I am finally finally content to surf. For anyone who is running just about any platform go to www.Opera.com and download the latest version. The free version does have a banner ad, but I am telling you folks, Register and never look back to Netscape or IE again... And did I mention how fast and low resource it is? Did I mention that it is basically completely customizable? Did I mention the easy back foward commands just by using special mouse clicks? Did I mention to mention how much it kicks a$$?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-14-2001 03:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does it handle Flash and Quicktime plugins and the like? How much does it cost?

[ 04-11-2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-14-2001 09:02 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera is free if you can live with some banner adds and about 30 buck to buy it
It is the only 100% HTML compliant browser according to the developers web site
I am still waiting for the OS2 port of it they keep promising.
I use it on the lap top since it isn't a memory hog

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2001 10:01 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Opera 6 support USENET?
(My main complaint with MSN is that I can't read newsgroups.)

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 03:48 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It handels usenet well, and it reneders flash and quicktime just fine. Overall a very good browser. One of the only programs that will get a thumbs up from me.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-20-2001 09:45 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! I've been using 5.12 for a while but the hotlink lockout problem kept me using IE6 most of the time. I just came here with 6.0 successfully.
The tabbed window feature is great - soon to be copied by Netscape.
I haven't tried the windows-on-desktop style yet but it looks interesting. Where will the ads be?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-20-2001 10:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IE6???? No no no no no no no no no!!!!!

IE6 doesn't allow for "Netscape style" plug-ins, which are the format of most plug-ins in the known universe. Yes, even alien worlds use "Netscape style" plug-ins for their internet browsers! Because of this, IE6 cannot handle Quicktime (my main beef) and lots and lots of other things. You might as well use a text browser like Lynx if you are going to give up all the frills.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 04:18 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess to answer your question directly Opera handles plugins exactly like Netscape. I really dont like the windows on desktop option... good implemtation just not really useful to me.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2001 07:18 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and not to beat the Opera horse to death. Here is a page that honestly compares Mozilla and I.E. 5.whatever side by side click here . Converts!!! Where are my converts?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 03:50 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I tried Opera 6 at my computer yeterday and I was impressed. It is pretty good.

Now I am at the Gateway store killing time. I am trying out Windows XP and IE6. I don't know what their connection is but everything is moving very slowly compaired to Opera 6 and my DSL back at the office.

I am staring at an 18 inch LCD panel that looks pretty cool.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-26-2001 05:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have I mentioned yet that IE6 sucks because it uses proprietary plug-ins for some unknown reason? Well I'll mention it the next time someone brings up IE6 as well!

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 09:11 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded opera and uninstalled it about after a week, my problem is that I go to alot of sites that make me login. Film-Tech is one, and various studio sites plus wherever else you need to login, and I can never remember all my usernames and passwords. Yes I could have the same username and password everywhere but that would just pose a security risk. I tried to have opera remember all the usernames and passwords, but it wouldn't most of the time. IE is still the best at remembering them all thats why I use it. Pretty much the only reason I use it.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 06:16 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Passwords are the only problem Opera has. Not a problem here.
It took someone from Opera 3 days to reply to a complaint/question.
One of those was Christmas. They know I have not paid for the browser and still gave the right answer the first time.

Get that kind of service from MicroSloth lately?

Dennis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having your browser remember your username and password is a _huge_ security risk. As is MSIE in general. There's a newly (last week or so) reported bug that lets a web site author use a bit of malicious Javascript to read any file on an MSIE user's computer. As far as I know, MS hasn't even acknowledge this. (Check the Bugtraq list archives for the details.) This is in addition to the Content-Type: header vulnerability which came up recently and for which MS has released a halfway-effective patch (which is worse than useless, since people will install it and think that they are safe.)

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe more I use it, the more I like Opera.
Well worth the money!

Dennis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: