Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sydney itself is not burning...

Author Topic: Sydney itself is not burning...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-29-2001 05:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...but there are some pretty bad bushfires just West and South of the city and have been burnig since Christmas Eve. There are over 80 separate fires burning throughout New South Wales. About 150 homes have been lost so far and more are threatened today as we are set to reach 39c in the West (about 102f) and the winds are set to come up making things worse for our firefighters. Already there are firefighters from four states fighting the fires.

The smoke over the city is thick and making many ill, especially those with resperitory problems.

This is the view out my Dining Room window. Ordinarily there is a beautiful view of Sydney Harbour...

...and this is a shot of The Sydney Harbour Bridge on my way to work. Usually there is a city full of skyscrapers right behind the bridge.

It's definately not pleasant here right now.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2001 07:34 PM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John (and other Techers in the Sydney area)

My family and I have been following the bushfire situation in the Sydney area and have been horrified to learn that some of the fires have been deliberately lit. I have a sister and her husband living in the Fairfield area and this makes one sit up and take notice.

Our sympathies are with the many people who have lost houses and to the animals that have been affected, both domestic and wildlife. Our prayers go out to the Firefighters, both men and women, who put their own lives in danger to do their job, and to the Firefighters from other States that re-arrange their lives to drive a thousand plus kilometers to provide help to the NSW crews.

I am particularly disgusted that the Law does not allow for the full punishment of the people that start the fires, the people that rob the unattended houses and the cowardly idiots that stole equipment from the fire engine while its crew were desperately doing their job to save peoples houses. (Quite possibly their house/s was one of the houses saved)

I believe that the public stocks should be returned as a punishment so that the public can have a good look at the scum that is making other peoples lives a living hell while the Court system is simply saying to these type of people that they are simply naughty. I belive that they should be made totally responsible for their actions. Likewise for children underage, the parents should be make responsible, once it is really affecting their wallets it would make parents sit up and take notice.

I also realise, of course, that some of the fires are started naturally due to the intense heat. I grew up in the Central Western Queensland town of Blackall and saw quite a fair share of fires in the region.

With a little bit of natural luck the weather will change and it will rain.

Michael.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2001 08:01 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to export some of this rain over there as it has been a shocker of a Summer here , just bucketing down and only fine on Christmas day & boxing Day , the rest of the time 4 seasons in 1 day, but the rain has been Heavy,Hope it's fine for the tennis as Anna Born-to-Roll-Over is playing (Kornacovar?) All the Best for the weather to change in NSW , us Kiwi's Love NZs biggest City (Sydney)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-29-2001 10:20 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's unbelievable someone would start additional fires after lighting started some. Sadly, there will always be people who will take advantage of a situation, like robbing a fire truck while the firemen are trying to put out the fire. Both are so despicable, I can't even think of which is worse.

Some low-lifes (acting as if they were helping) looted stores near the World Trade Center after the planes hit. NYC cops grabbed them pretty quick, and I read somewhere they are really going to get the book throw at them. Hopefully, the Sydney police will get the fire-starters and theifs.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-01-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our tenth day of fires now...All states and territories have fighters here trying to contain and fight the blazees. I have just heard there are now fighters from New Zealand on their way...things are still hot, dry and windy.

Not good...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: