Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Mens Room" etiquette (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Mens Room" etiquette
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-06-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...before you read on, this is a little odd topic that you may wish to pass on...

Okay now this is a nagging question I've had for some time now. In a mens room you have urinals and stalls. What is it with the guys that just HAVE to use the stalls for urination? Is it because that is how they learned at home?

I'm not talking about when there is a rush on the facilities like at a concert intermission and you take what you can get. But the room can be almost completely empty and some guys just simply will not use the urinals.

Now, through an informal analysis over many decades, I have found that those that use the kamodes for doing #1 also have horrible aim! Guys, urinals were made just for people like you...it is a "can't miss" situation!

Now I have thought about the privacy issue but with a row of urinals, it is easy enough not to have a "neighbor." It's bad enough you have to mess up the apparatus but you deny others the required tools to properly execute a #2!

Anyone out there with some insite?

Steve

|  IP: Logged

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 01:24 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paruresis (sp?) aka "shy bladder" is actually a pretty big deal that affects a lot of people, including me.

In a bathroom with ANYONE in it, I just can't go. When it's empty, it's easier to go if I use a stall. It's stupid, I know, but there is just no way that I can go in a crowded restroom. That's why I avoid theme parks and concerts whenever possible.

I used to think it was just me but in doing some research I found that there are a LOT of people who share the same plight. I don't know where it came from or why it exists, but if somebody was holding a gun to my head I couldn't stand next to somebody and pee to save my life.

I don't see any reason why they shower the toilet seat, but cut them some slack!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-06-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm laughing because a friend and I just had a similar conversation. While doing jello shots, this is what we thought of:

Some people just like the privacy. We get very little of it nowadays; the bathroom (or stall) is about the last place you can avoid being bothered. Also, some people (especially older guys) have "delay" problems, and don't want to hold up the line. At busy places like airports, you can hang you belongings on a hook or something to prevent theft.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 01:30 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the guys are just jerks, but...

You never know if the redneck using the stall is wearing his wife's panties... or has a Prince Albert or just knows he has bad aim.

Medical conditions that might make one want to use a stall include
prostatitis, BHP (swelling of the prostate without any evident cause), bashful kidney, and split stream. I'm sure a urologist could add to the list.

Aren't you glad you asked? Now here is one for you: Ever seen a women's urinal? Yes they do have them, they were popular before women got to wear pants regularly.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-06-2002 02:01 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself cannot fathom the horrible aim of some. ITS JUST GROSS.

However I can empathize with those that want the privacy. I prefer it too. As for my staff, they use the private bathroom for security reasons. When a staff member needs the restroom, and go into a crowded one, many of our customers are very crude and rude, and I don't want to put my staff into a potentially dangerous situation where a customer wants to show how funny he is by attacking a staff member.

And yes it has happened just last week, my projectionist was attacked from behind by some rowdy teens in the restroom. They wanted to show how funny they were by trying to shove his head in the toilet. We heard the ruckus and swarmed.

Stupid teenagers, probably the same ones going around the country and peeing on toilet seats.

dave

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2002 02:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at airports at least it seems like some kill time by taking the newspaper into the stall to read. Bums used to live in RR station stalls too, at least in D.C. they did. Dads seem to make their little kids use the stalls, and believe me little kids don't even understand the word aim....
Mark @ GTS

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 03:17 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to use the stalls in restrooms if the urinals have no partitions between them. Just the urinals, closely spaced on the wall without any partitioning at all makes me uncomfortable. The Regal River Oaks Cinema 8, Carmike 10, Regal Hollywood 18, and the Regal Madison Square 12 have urinals with no partitions and they're close together. Only the old Carmike 8 in Decatur has partitions between urinals, so I use them there. All theatre managers -- check your restrooms, and if there aren't any kind of partitions between urinals, try to get some put in and I think you'll find that this annoyance will go away. Just something that sticks out from the wall 18 or 24 inches will suffice. It's not rocket science, and the only reason they would no be there is if the chain were too cheap to put them in.

Also, all restrooms should have paper towel dispensers. Otherwise, most people will not wash their hands.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-06-2002 03:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can sympathize with the "shy bladder" problem. I rarely ever use public restrooms. And no, it isn't because I am not "secure enough in my manhood" to feel confident enough. I just prefer my privacy. Foreign countries have troths instead of separate urinals. What's next, just a big drain in the center of the floor?

As for bad aim, it is only a problem for people who don't know quite how to handle their "tool". Unless of course you have 3 or four separate streams going in every which direction. This is an awesome thread.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-06-2002 04:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was a little video above the hand driers that each time you pressed the "on" button, you could see a stream of smoke coming out of a coal based power plant or another spent rod from a nuclear plant. The idea that electric hand blowers are more enviro-friendly is absurd. Towels should be a legal requirement.

Steve

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-06-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finding a wet toilet seat is bad enough when you gotta' use the commode. It's annoying but it's easy enough to either find another stall, or if necessary, get a paper towel soaked in hot water and clean it.
As gritty as that sounds, there's really nothing in a public rest room that won't wash off with soap and water. (Well, ALMOST nothing.)

What REALLY annoys me is people who have to take a dump but "hover" over the seat and leave the "collateral damage" for somebody else to deal with. That just peaves me off to no end!

If you are ever in a public restroom and hear some guy enter a stall and start cussing, it's probably me right when I found a soiled seat.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 10:47 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.paruresis.org/ One of the links is to a "buddy list!" Err, ummm, ahhh, no thanks.

I don't have too much of a problem with this, but when a doctor or nurse wants me to pee in a cup, I have to restrain the urge to ask "Would you like to supersize that for only 25 cents more?"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-06-2002 10:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of us have witnessed the following, although we may not care to admit it.

CHILDISH..Lays stream up and down wall, tries to hit the fly on the side of the urinal, likes to watch it bubble when hitting the holes in the bottom of the urinal.

CLEVER..No hands, shows off by fixing necktie, pisses on shoes.

CONCEITED..Struts in, nose up in air, misses urinal, pisses on floor.

DISGRUNTLED..Tries to piss, gives up, farts instead, walks away.

EFFICIENT..Waits until he has to take a dump, then does both.

EMBARRASSED..Split stream, pisses on everything except urinal.

DESPERATE..Teeth floating, shorts twisted, can't find hole, pisses in pants.

FAT PERSON..Stands back, aims, pisses, hits edge of urinal, ricochets, and comes back in his face.

HURRIED..All stalls in use, pisses in sink.

NERVOUS..Not sure what he has been into lately, makes a quick check.

NOSEY..Peeks at the guy next to him to see how he is hung.

SLY..Pisses all over toilet seat and flush valve, dribbles on floor, farts, then cracks an evil smile.

SMALL..Can't locate it in time, pisses in pants.

SNEAKY..Farts while pissing, realizes he should be sitting.

TIMID..Waits until rest room is unoccupied before pissing.

ROUGHNECK..Bangs it on side of urinal to dry it off after pissing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-07-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate people who don't flush. What's the deal with that? I want an answer! Do those same people not flush at home as well?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2002 01:25 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably have small dicks and are affaid someone will comment...

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-07-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people will not flush because they think that all the plumbing is hooked up to the concession stand.

Actually this whole thread should be in the joke section.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: