Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sad news - Dave Thomas dies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sad news - Dave Thomas dies
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Yahoo! News

Tuesday January 8 6:02 PM ET
Wendy's founder Dave Thomas dies
By Deborah Cohen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wendy's International Inc. founder Dave Thomas, the smiling, down-to-earth everyman who personified the No. 3 U.S. hamburger chain through more than 10 years of self-effacing television commercials, has died at age 69, the company said Tuesday.

Thomas died early Tuesday of liver cancer at his Florida home, the Dublin, Ohio-based company said. He had suffered from cancer for more than a decade, underwent heart bypass surgery in 1996 and had been on kidney dialysis treatment since last year.

Thomas retired as chairman of Wendy's in 1982. Though he no longer actively managed the company, he had appeared in commercials for Wendy's since 1989, when he became the official company spokesman. That began the string of well-known advertisements that featured him in humorous situations promoting the virtues of Wendy's hamburgers, french fries and other simple fare.

``Dave was our patriarch, a great, big lovable man,'' Wendy's Chairman and Chief Executive Jack Schuessler said in a statement. ``He had a passion for great-tasting hamburgers and devoted his life to serving customers great food and helping those less fortunate in his community.''

Thomas began his career in fast food in 1956 with a barbecue restaurant he opened with Phil Clauss, a former boss, in Knoxville, Tennessee. He moved into the fried chicken business after Clauss bought a Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise from fast-food giant Colonel Harland Sanders. Thomas opened the first Wendy's restaurant in 1969, naming it after his daughter.

Born in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in 1932, Thomas was adopted when he was six weeks old. Late in life he became an advocate for adoption, one of several causes he promoted to improve the lives of children, and in 1992 he created the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption.

``This fast-food icon was an everyday man's entrepreneur and that was part of his charisma,'' said Merrill Lynch restaurant analyst Peter Oakes. ``He was an ambassador for the brand, for the industry and for adoption, and that's what made him a great humanitarian.''

A HUMBLE START

Thomas got his first job at age 12 as a counterman at a Knoxville restaurant. At 15, he dropped out of school to work full-time, a decision he later said he regretted. Forty-five years later he received a high school equivalency diploma from Coconut Creek High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Thomas appeared in more than 800 Wendy's ads and holds the Guinness Book of Records achievement for the longest TV campaign by a company founder. Those commercials, where Thomas appeared wearing his signature white short-sleeved shirt and red tie, often featured celebrities, including blues great B.B. King, Olympic Gold Medalist Kristi Yamaguchi (news - web sites) and soap opera star Susan Lucci.

In 1979, Thomas' rags-to-riches story earned him the Horatio Alger Award from the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans.

Thomas often said he felt lucky to have been born in the United States. ``Only in America would a guy like me, from humble beginnings and without a high school diploma, become successful,'' he once said.

Wendy's, which operates about 6,000 Wendy's restaurants in the United States, Canada and international markets, began franchising in the early 1970s and went public in 1976.

Thomas' death marks the second major loss for the company in recent years. In 1999, Chief Executive and President Gordon Teter died, leaving current CEO Schuessler at the helm.

Reuters/Variety REUTERS

-------

I graduated from CCHS class of '99. He gave a presentation at my school one of the years I was there. I didn't get to go. I wish I could have met him. Let's all have a meal at Wendy's in honor of Dave. I had lunch their today.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes... tis very sad. wanna know a sorta freaky secret? good...

the orginal wendys is located on e. broad st in downtown columbus, ohio. so the wendys people called my theatre earlier today and asked if they could borrow some tensa barriers for the viewing on friday.

its all good cause our theatre is in tight with wendys, so its understandable that we do this favor for them... but its kinda odd. i open in the morning, so i get to be the one to distrubute them. go me.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 09:29 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Columbus Ohio. Not only the home of Wendy's, but also of the legendary White Castle.

Dave was always respected around town. He was involved with lots of charity work. He made sure that Wendy's was always a major contributor to community events. There is a primary care facillity in his name at the local Children's Hospital. He also helped to establish a private school that I can see from my front yard.

There is one interesting thing in his obituary that I have not seen before. It is now possible to e-mail condolences to the funeral home, which will give them to the family.

The address is http://www.schoedinger.com

And, yes, there really is a Wendy, his daughter, now married to Paul Morris.

I remember the little pamplets they had that showed all of the 256 ways you could get a Wendy's hamburger. This is the chain that really pioneered the custom hamburger in fast food.

I think I'll pick up a single combo today (chili instead of fries with that) and think about Dave.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-09-2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed Wendy's is a few steps up from McDonalds for sure. But I always thought that quadruple bypass was sort of freaky. Like he ate thousands of burgers over the years and just plugged those arterys right up. I have to admit that his face was one of the more friendly faces on TV. He will be sorely missed among the burger community!
Mark @ GTS

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 12:21 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said: "Indeed Wendy's is a few steps up from McDonalds for sure."

Abso-fraggin-loutly! The people at Wendy's are so much more professional, the atmosphere is so much nicer, the bathrooms are cleaner, and the burgers are a heck of a lot tastier!

And what other resaurant's founder is a well-know personality?

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am saddened to hear this too. Dave always came across as a "man of the people". Those who knew him said he was. I had a "biggie" drink and a couple burgers last night and couldn't help but think of that man who's face I've seen numerous times on tv and in print. The Wendy's near my house (it's in Morehead,KY...i'll reveal it's location cause they deserve the reconition) has the fastest drive-thru and the best service of any chain i've seen. Never screw your order up. Also the salad bar is always fresh, dining area clean, clean restrooms, and cheap refills. That's a far cry from some places I've stumbled into looking for supper.

--Chris

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 05:20 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can't believe the bathrooms at some fast fool places. Almost as bad as the women's rooms mentioned in another recent thread.

I do have to say, though, that there is one Wendy's in Bonita Springs, FL, that always screws up your order. My friend can't eat mayo. He always orders no mayo on sandwiches that have mayo. Every time the put mayo on! Grrr.... Other than that one place, I've always had great experiences at Wendy's.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2002 08:53 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy's is a whole damn staircase above McDonalds! They've always had the quickest and most courteous service I've ever seen! He will be sorely missed.

Melany Lowe
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Melany Lowe   Email Melany Lowe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree..I heard that (and it's probably not true) McDonalds soft serve ice-cream is made with pigs intestines.That is totally disgusting! And also that at the bottom of the patty packages there are like polystyrene paddies to soak up the oil+fat and things which ocassionally get slipped into the frier thing.But then again it's probably just Bad New Zealand hyjnx.All my sympathy!

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, old Dave did contribute millions to communities and different charities...

...but also millions to militant far-right anti-abortion groups...(the kind that like to blow shit up).

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2002 11:33 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really???

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2002 11:45 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend had a party once, and his father (who worked at the McDonalds Corp) brought home uncooked burgers. We cooked them ourselves, and they tasted much, much better. So, I have concluded that they kill the burger at the restaurant when cooking (probably to make sure any bacteria, etc. is dead.)

I do like Wendy's food better, but I feel no one keeps their restaurant cooking area cleaner than McDonalds.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 10:08 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wes: You confused Dave Thomas with Thomas Monaghan, founder of Domino's Pizza.

Monaghan has given big bucks to Christian fascist organizations like Operation Rescue (anti-abortion) and the American Family Association (pro-censorship). That is why I do not order Domino's.

While Monaghan was financing Christian fascists, Domino's drivers were getting killed because Domino's policy of "we deliver in 30 minutes or it's free" encouraged reckless driving. That policy ended after the drivers' families sued Domino's.

BTW, Dave Thomas was fond of Newt Gingrich and other right-wing thugs in the Republican Party.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-12-2002 11:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I used to maintain the security system at the packing plant outside Chicago in the early 70's. The meat packing place was called Otto And Sons, thay also have a plant in Salt Lake City as well. All they did there, and here as far as I know, was make McDonalds burger patties. I used to be able to buy a case of 1/4 pounder patties for 30 bucks and they were great if grilled outside. If only McDonalds knew how good they could be........McDonalds IMHO has gotten way out of control and way to large to have any sort of quality anymore. A co-worker once went through a drive through at a McDonalds near here and when he had pulled out and opened his cheesburger, all that was on it was the cheese, ketsup, and mustard. He immediately went back through, handed them the burger nad said "Where's the Beef"(he really did!)....He was then accused of steeling the beef off the burger and trying to pull on over on them. Of course he pointed out that the cheese was not melted and that there was no meat residue on it. They then gave him a new cheesburger.
I ate at a Wendy's yesterday as I was on the road. Next to the front counter was the giant wall poster of Dave listing all the reasons why you should eat at Wendy's. The interesting thing is how many people going in and out of the place stopped to read it. Seems like since he passed awway more people have been reading that poster..,....
Mark @ GTS

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always noticed the poster, but I never read it until Tuesday. From where I was sitting I had a perfect view, and I read it as I was enjoying my jr. cheesburger deluxe and chili.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: