Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Academy Award Nominees (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Academy Award Nominees
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 08:07 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Complete list of 74th annual Oscar nominations announced Tuesday in Beverly Hills, Calif., by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:

1. Best Picture: "A Beautiful Mind," "Gosford Park," "In the Bedroom," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Moulin Rouge."

2. Actor: Russell Crowe, "A Beautiful Mind"; Sean Penn, "I Am Sam"; Will Smith, "Ali"; Denzel Washington, "Training Day"; Tom Wilkinson, "In the Bedroom."

3. Actress: Halle Berry, "Monster's Ball"; Judi Dench, "Iris"; Nicole Kidman, "Moulin Rouge"; Sissy Spacek, "In the Bedroom"; Renee Zellweger, "Bridget Jones's Diary."

4. Supporting Actor: Jim Broadbent, "Iris"; Ethan Hawke, "Training Day"; Ben Kingsley, "Sexy Beast"; Ian McKellen, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"; Jon Voight, "Ali."

5. Supporting Actress: Jennifer Connelly, "A Beautiful Mind"; Helen Mirren, "Gosford Park"; Maggie Smith, "Gosford Park"; Marisa Tomei, "In the Bedroom"; Kate Winslet, "Iris."

6. Director: Ron Howard, "A Beautiful Mind"; Ridley Scott, "Black Hawk Down"; Robert Altman, "Gosford Park"; Peter Jackson, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"; David Lynch, "Mulholland Drive."

7. Animated Film: "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius"; "Monsters, Inc."; "Shrek."

8. Foreign Film: "Amelie," France; "Elling," Norway; "Lagaan," India; "No Man's Land," Bosnia and Herzegovina; "Son of the Bride," Argentina.

9. Screenplay (written based on material previously produced or published): Akiva Goldsman, "A Beautiful Mind"; Daniel Clowes and Terry Zwigoff, "Ghost World"; Rob Festinger and Todd Field, "In the Bedroom"; Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"; Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Joe Stillman and Roger S.H. Schulman, "Shrek."

10. Screenplay (written directly for the screen): Guillaume Laurant and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, "Amelie"; Julian Fellowes, "Gosford Park"; Christopher Nolan and Jonathan Nolan, "Memento"; Milo Addica and Will Rokos, "Monster's Ball"; Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson, "The Royal Tenenbaums."

11. Art Direction: "Amelie," "Gosford Park," "Harry Potter (news - web sites) and the Sorcerer's Stone," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Moulin Rouge."

12. Cinematography: "Amelie," "Black Hawk Down," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "The Man Who Wasn't There," "Moulin Rouge."

13. Sound: "Amelie," "Black Hawk Down," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Moulin Rouge," "Pearl Harbor."

14. Sound Editing: "Monsters, Inc.," "Pearl Harbor."

15. Original Score: "A.I. Artificial Intelligence," John Williams; "A Beautiful Mind," James Horner; "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," John Williams; "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," Howard Shore; "Monsters, Inc.," Randy Newman.

16. Original Song: "If I Didn't Have You" from "Monsters, Inc.," Randy Newman; "May It Be" from "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," Enya, Nicky Ryan and Roma Ryan; "There You'll Be" from "Pearl Harbor," Diane Warren; "Until" from "Kate & Leopold," Sting; "Vanilla Sky" from "Vanilla Sky," Paul McCartney.

17. Costume: "The Affair of the Necklace," "Gosford Park," "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Moulin Rouge."

18. Documentary Feature: "Children Underground," "LaLee's Kin: The Legacy of Cotton," "Murder on a Sunday Morning," "Promises," "War Photographer."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Artists and Orphans: A True Drama," "Sing!," "Thoth."

20. Film Editing: "A Beautiful Mind," "Black Hawk Down," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Memento," "Moulin Rouge."

21. Makeup: "A Beautiful Mind," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Moulin Rouge."

22. Animated Short Film: "Fifty Percent Grey," "For the Birds," "Give Up Yer Aul Sins," "Strange Invaders," "Stubble Trouble."

23. Live Action Short Film: "the accountant," "Copy Shop," "Gregor's Greatest Invention," "A Man Thing (Meska Sprawa)," "Speed for Thespians."

24. Visual Effects: "A.I. Artificial Intelligence," "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Pearl Harbor."

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2002 12:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh! I think I've lost all respect for the Academy (or at least the group who decides these things).

Pearl Harbor for Best Sound??? Enough said.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just know what's gonna happen. It's reflected in the nominations. LOTR is going to sweep, because everyone liked the book.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have:

Gosford Park with 7 Oscar nominations
In The Bedroom with 5 Oscar nominations
Amelie with 5 OScar nominations
Mulholland Drive with one nominations
and we are bringing back Training Day with two Oscar nominations.

We have shown two of the five Best Animated Short Films. We showed, as you all have, For The Birds and just last week we showed Fify Percent Grey.

We are "Bringing the Best Films in the World to Sonoma County."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-12-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you are bringing the most nominated films in the world to Sonoma County! Just 'cause they get nominated or even get the Oscar doesn't make any movie good by any stretch.

I really hope Monsters Inc beats out Shrek. It was 10 times better. Well maybe 8 times better. But Shrek will win because it made more money. Just watch.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2002 04:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So Ian, does that mean Lord of the Rings was crap?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-12-2002 04:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian--I assume that you will also be bringing back such hits of 2001 as "Glitter" and "On the Line," correct? I expect to see them advertised on your web site...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So from my count...Moulin Rouge has received 8 nominations including...Best Picture, Best Actress and...(wait for it Peter) Best editing!

Of course, it won't win Best Picture or Best Actress, but perhaps editing...

A disappointment to see Come What May wasn't nominated in the song catagory (What the hell???Pearl Harbor's song???)

And what on earth is Ridley Scott doing being nominated for Best Director? IMHO, the Best Director and Best Picture nominations are inseparable.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 09:20 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did Ridley Scott get nominated for Best Director? Because only directors nominate directors, while the whole Academy nominates films. Since directors consider themselves the "author" of a film (and are contractually billed as such with their added possessive credit), my guess is that most, if not all, directors would vote for the same films as the people who directed them. Maybe the Academy needs to revise its rules and have the director pick up the main award along with the producer. Of course, htey sometimes do both.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 09:36 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying these other directors haven't even seen Black Hawk Down??? (Why else would they nominate him?)

Lucky them!!!

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-12-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I really hope Monsters Inc beats out Shrek. It was 10 times better. Well maybe 8 times better."

Couldn't agree more. I hated Shrek.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Best Song, did no one notice of "The Origin of Love" from HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH?

Both the song and that animation that went with it were great.

How many slots for the best Animated category are there?
Are there only three or were there only three nominated?
Although I didnt care much for WAKING LIFE, it would have been nice to see it get recognized with a nomination.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2002 04:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What a surprise. Not one single song from "Glitter" made the best song category!

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 05:34 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I can't understand why Robert Altman is so popular. I haven't found his films all that enthralling (Mash was ok). Stacking your film with cameos from lots of major actors is no substitute for good directing.

cheers Peter

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Wilson wrote:

So you're saying these other directors haven't even seen Black Hawk Down??? (Why else would they nominate him?)

I may not have been clear. I would assume that all (or most)directors who nominated Ridley Scott would also nominate Black Hawk Down for the Best Picture category. But while only votes from directors could hand a nomination to Scott, the directors votes for Best Picture are diluted by all the other branches of the Academy (and I believe the biggest group by far is the actor's branch).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: