Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Are you "out" at work? -> OT Weight Loss (Page 1)

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24 

Author Topic: Are you "out" at work? -> OT Weight Loss
Christopher Finn
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for Christopher Finn   Email Christopher Finn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question, and perhaps a private one at that, but I was just curious as to how many of us working in the film biz are gay and/or lesbian individuals. Are you out at your theatre? My story is that I am a gay male, have been out for almost ten years and yes, I am out at my theatre. I have never had a problem with anyone where I work, from a 16 year old Usher to my Region Leader. I do believe it has something to do with an individual's own comfort level in their own skin. I do not get offended easily, and I would like to believe that people can learn more about the gay life from me and come away with a heightened sense of awareness and sensitivity. Now don't get me wrong, that is not ALL I am, nor do I wear my gayness as a banner (have been told by some people they had NO idea until I told them), but I really feel that this is a great business to be an out and proud homosexual in. Or, am I mistaken.....?? Tell me your stories if you have them!

Thanks,
Chris

[ 06-16-2008, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-27-2002 07:11 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm out at work and in the community our theatre is in. Actually its kind of funny becuase I have a business partner, the ubiquitious Ian, and a partner partner. I'm always careful to refer to Ian as my business partner but that hasn't prevented half the county from assuming that we are a couple. When we took over the theatre I didn't make any big announcement, I just am who I am. As we now have a monthly gay men's film series, of which I'm the host, everybody knows and its never been a problem for any of my employees. In fact we joke about it. When Ian and I were invited to attend a community event by one of our assistant managers, Ian wasn't in town and my partner wasn't available, so I took one of the other assistants as my "date". Interestingly we have an almost entirely straight staff, save for one bisexual. We do occasionally here from one pair of customers who inquire if there are any homosexual elements in the film they are about to see. Seems The Closet, The Deep End, Hedwig and Big Eden all in one summer was a little too much for them. Oh well. By the way, I was also one of the very first out people on film-tech. I outed myself when someone made a crack about something seeming gay that I thought was inappropriate. Of course being out and opinionated did get me in a bit of trouble on the forums last year when someone objected to the kissing scene in Billy Elliot and I was like get over it! And so it goes...

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-27-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeeze Ky, I thought we said our sorry's and were over with this Billy Elliot thing. I posted it wrong and didn't mean it at all like it sounded. I am sorry, again. It was not a comment that was meant to sound like I was gay bashing, I would not do that. I did not like the movie, period. After realizing how it sounds I would have taken it down but I thought that all the other comments on the board would not have made sense. Because it seems to be bothering you so much I will take it off the post.

As for the topic, I am Bisexual. I'm not really "out" at work but I am not hiding it either. I am married to a man and the topic has never come up at my "newer" job.

At my old theater of employment I was out and so were about half of my staff, male and female.

------------------
Brad, you're pretty darn Chipper yourself!!!

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-27-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel,

Don't take it down...I'm amused by the whole thing...I was trying to say, and not doing a very good job of it apparently, that being gay has been more of an issue for me on film-tech than at my own theatre. I've managed to get people upset on film-tech. Look, you said your piece, I said mine, people got offended, we apologized to them and each other, alls well that ends well.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-28-2002 03:29 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been out of work for about ..... ooops! Wait a sec ....

>>> Phil

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do believe it has something to do with an individual's own comfort level in their own skin.
Exactly. People in general won't be comfortable with you until you're comfortable with yourself. As for me, when I did start telling people I was gay, it was always like "Oh, I knew. That's your own private business." That USED to piss me off, cause they would send out those STRAIGHT messages, through talk of their loved ones, etc. But then I learned that was something they needed to get used to as well. It's funny now, but I was always the targeted gay student in high school (the usual name-calling and beatings), even though I didnt TRY to give off any signals and wasn't "out" in a "look, Im gay" sort of way, at least consciuosly).

As far as work is concerned several people do know I am gay there. It usually is unspoken by them (there are several closeted ones) which is strange, since we have job protection as part of state law and district policy (I do video production work for a school district).

Its always amused me when people say "I cant be out, Id lose my job" when I know openly gay people who work for the same employer (local oil companies, for example. Bakersfied is one of the biggest producers in the United States) and they have experienced no problems with discrimination. So it does come down to personal discomfort.

But one thing I learned that after taking that step (and with me its so matter-of-fact that if it comes up in a conversation,i it comes out naturally)is that it really is no big deal, and as long as I dont get defensive about it, no one can make me feel like shit over it. And that attitude will eventually filter through society as well. In 10 years no one will even know what the big deal was about.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-19-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5'11"
130#
Brn/Grn

Sagittarius

Enjoys movies (of course), music of all sorts, writing, sex, outdoor restaurants, having tea, spending lazy days on beaches, sex, long drives, psychology, sex, anthropology.

Yeah, I'm basically out and about. I'm not bursting into flames or anything but even a busted gaydar will ping if I'm being myself.

Um...Rachel, honey....shouldn't there be like over 500 posts here? [Wink]

Now I think there's some validity to the question that was asked the other night -- "I wonder if Brad knows he's running a dating service!?"

Seriously, though, I wasn't interested in "going there" on Film-Tech but the "Shame on Kodak" thread changed my mind. So now I'm out here, too.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-19-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny! Hubba Hubba!

Those stats are HOT!

NOW! If you would ONLY get rid of that crap on your face! [evil]

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-19-2003 10:50 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By popular demand -- a new pic is forthcoming -- stay tuned [Wink]

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 01:01 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Easter everybody! (Hoping thatīs not a religious off-topic remark... [Smile] ).
Iīm bisexual, and though I donīt go around introducing myself as one, Iīm semi-active in our union, and in our association or what you would call it at campus.
Couldnīt do it any other way at "work" when thereīs just 7 of us working basically always, and when not working, showing movies, rigging concerts or renting stuff out (or going to school, too I guess) thereīs always people there for a beer or a chat or some music... A really tightly knit group... Interesting fact that our room is called Brum, an allegory to LoBs rum (LoBīs room) and is the same word that the humming of 50 Hz is through loudspeakers if youīve got different grounds... Not really relevant, but I donīt remember what my stats are in "american". We think itīs funny any way.
Wasnīt thinking about coming out on this forum, but saw the thread and thought, what the heck. And Iīm one of very few swedes...
//Gunnar

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 03:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been out at the various places I've worked. However in most instances I never really came out, but I was ususally asked by coworkers ( which led them to tell me about their "cute friend" and play matchmaker... oh geeez ) [Roll Eyes]

Never had any attitude problems from other coworkers because of it.

Danny

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 04:29 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a closet Heterosexual.

I know I'm straight, but none of the girls know or care. [Big Grin]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-20-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um...Rachel, honey....shouldn't there be like over 500 posts here?
Jeez Manny, it really bothers me when people take something I say out of context from a chat room. I know your just joking around but people keep bringing it up. If you want me to explain what I said--email me. BTW, love the new pic! [Smile]

It's been a while since I posted in this thread...at this point almost everyone at my workplace knows that I am bi-sexual. At first it made a lot of the women uncomfortable but as time passed I became very good friends with most of them. Other then that, I have never really had any problems with people accepting me for the way I am.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too [Smile]

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 09:13 PM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out and about well and truly!

when I First came out, the girls down stairs said "Oh, great, now we can check out cute guys together"

the "boys" upstairs were all fussy about it - til someone from downstairs said "Geez, its not like he is gunna wanna have sex with you or anything! - wake up, he is a great projectionist, you dont need to worry about what he does when he gets home"

And from then on, no-one cares [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: