Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movieboss

Author Topic: Movieboss
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 08:21 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone on here play Movieboss? It is an online game (www.movieboss.com)in which you run your own theatre chain,
book your films, etc. etc. It is a lot like fantasy baseball or
fantasy football in that the game is based on real-time movie
grosses. If you play it - what is your chain's name? Mine is "Benjamin Theatres". If you don't playit - maybe you should try it out.

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-18-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will give this a shot, see how many gigoplexes I can overbuild and see if I can take the whole industry down.

Dave

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movieboss is fun! I've just opened my second location last week. Although, it isn't entirely realistic, Movieboss allows you to get a behind the scenes look into how the industry actually operates. Your bookings are weighed against actual box office figures to determine your profit and you are able to advance book various films to earn even greater profit. As your profits increase you then have the option to upgrade your theatre to stadium seating, digital sound, "digital film" or add addition screens to your complex as you prefer.

~ Jeff

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played MOVIE BOSS for about 6 months. It was a lot of fun, but it started taking up WAY too much time to do all of the proper bookings. Also, it was very difficult to move up against those who had been playing the game for a long time. For awhile, the game went offline, so I stopped then and decided not to go back.

I think they made some changes to make it easier to do the larger bookings. Some if it was very cumbersome, but the people that ran it seemed to try hard to get things right.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played regularly until at one point, they shut down because they didn't have any more money to keep it going or something. They were off-line for a few weeks, then got going again. After that, I lost interest because I figured they'd just shut down again. All you have to do to get big buck, I thought, was to book all the little indie films. They go by on-screen average (at least they used to) and when a little movie was just in NY and LA it would have a great per screen avg.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played with MOVIEBOSS for about 6 months or so but I found, like Mark did, that it takes up far too much time. By the time they went off line I had lost interest as no matter how I seemed to book film, do the upgrades and finally be in a position to buy another theatre I was still not rising in the ranks. The people at the top must have been sitting on the site nearly all day to be able to take advantage off every subtle change. I was only able to devote a small fraction of my time as life cannot come to a standstill just for one game. I found that I was always sitting at the high 300's or in the low 400's in the rankings. Off memory I had cinemas in Alabama and Hawaii.

I recently registered again and tried to play the game but I found once again that time was the total enemy.

If you have the time to devote to it is not a bad game.

Michael.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I do all day long anyway

I really can't see the point in acquiring e-cinemas when I'm busy running real ones.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 12:43 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I play it on a regular basis.

It's a pretty interesting game.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 02:55 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just created "Cinema Spaeth"

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm friends with the creators of the game and played MovieBoss since the original Beta-Test of Act I. (Currently on Act II, Act III is comming this fall or so)

Its a great game and actually doesn't take that much time for bookings (once you get 3 locations and can afford a film booker which simplifies the booking process greatly!) and pretty much I log in daily to click ad banners and purchase upgrades that I can afford.
The biggest thing you need to do is research your limited releases to find the best PSA's.

Probably about the best thing the game does is that it gives you a good feel for the business of upcomming movies, and like HSX (www.hsx.com) helps you estimate weekend grosses and per screen averages much easier.

I'm listed as "Marcus Cinemas Selat", currently #20 on the lifetime board if anyone is interested. Or if anyone has any questions feel free to email me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: