Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » AKIRA KUROSAWA: A Life In Pictures

Author Topic: AKIRA KUROSAWA: A Life In Pictures
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 10:11 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

PBS is broadcasting a new hour-long documentary on the 85 year life
and career of Japan's greatest filmmaker, and one of world cinema's
most creative and productive geniuses. It will air on CH 13 in the
NJ/NJ/CT region on Thursday, March 21st at 9:00 PM.

This link to a Press Release gives much information on Kurosawa and the making of the Great Performances program , with downloadable images, a filmography, credits and program notes:
http://www.thirteen.org/pressroom/great_performances/kurosawa/press_release.html

The program, in addition to film excerpts from films such as Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Ran, will feature interviews and comments from Machiko Kyo, Toshiro Mifune, and many other actors, directors, critics and scholars.

This is a great opportunity to relive some of the greatest films
and to learn about many Kurosawa works that we never had the opportunity to experience before. It should be a natural for recording!

I hope we might also receive reactions from some Japanese Film-techers to this program and its subjects.

"I HAVE WAITED FOR THIS!" --Kabuki audience shout.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-18-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope I have a chance to see this. I havent seen anything on Kurosawa since I took my film classes back in college. He was THE master of the cinema.

Dave

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 06:56 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they play this in Australia soon! I love Kurosawa and have had the fortunate opportunity to show many of his films.

My parents first introduced my to his work when they took me along to see 'Dersu Urzala' at the age of 6. My parents initially feared that I would not be able to sit through it but on the contrary I found it fascinating and beautiful. I got to show the same movie years later, and it has lost none of its power or beauty.

I have the Criterion laserdisc of his movie 'Ikiru' (To Live/Living) which is also one of the finest movies I have ever seen.

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 09:59 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch TV. But, for this one, I think I'll poke the coat hanger into the antenae plug and see if I can pull it in. An AK film can reignite my faith in cinema after enduring (and running) some of the crap that passes as entertainment these days.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-20-2002 01:07 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how Kurosawa-sensei is highly regarded amongst film buffs outside of Japan, but largely dismissed in his own country. My own grandfather echoed that Japanese sentiment; he thought Kurosawa's films weren't Japanese enough, since they were often based on non-Japanese literary sources. Silly sods. Forgive them, for they know not what they do. Personally, I'm glad I don't have a problem with Shakespearean or other western stories told in a Japanese setting! Just for fun, imagine The Twelfth Night done Kurosawa style, with Mifune doing his take on Sir Toby Belch...

BTW Kurosawa once published a list of what he considered to be the 100 best films of all time. Perhaps fittingly, only a couple are Japanese, one of them being the animated My Neighbor Totoro (1988) by Hayao Miyazaki. Kurosawa loved the Catbus character in that film and lamented that talents like Miyazaki were going into animation instead of live-action. Today, Miyazaki is considered by many critics to be, not the Disney of Japan, but the Kurosawa of animation!

So who says Kurosawa's films weren't Japanese enough? (Jii-san gomen nasai!) Rashomon, Ikiru, The Hidden Fortress, Ran, Dreams... His films will always be amongst my personal live-action favorites, Japanese or otherwise. Long live Kurosawa!

Paul
Unemployed mercenary film/video projectionist/engineer
Roll 'em! Speed! Marker! Action! Cut! Print that! Next setup!
Repeat until dead.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 08:14 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read Kurosawa's list of the 100 best films. I'll search for it. As for his using Western sources, Rashomon is based on two Japanese short stories, one of the rape, and the other of the temple setting where the conflict between faith and cynicism is played out at the end, over the fate of the abandoned newborn baby.

That resolution shocked me as much as the report that in one of the Nazi extermination camp, a group of Jews held an all-night trial,
charging God with abandoning his people. After the sentence--GUILTY
--the judge announced "It is time to say the morning 'Shma'" [Hear,
O Israel, The Lord Our God, the Lord is One!] So after having the audience struggle emotionally through four versions of a terrible crime, trying to find the truth, the priest and the peasant, grabbing
for the baby in fine Zen fashion, again flip the audience's belief
with faith in the possibility of human goodness.

For his time, Kurosawa was an innovator in film technique. I loved the way he would pan in very long focus, Mifune running through a crowded battle scene, in closeup, blurring the other combatants, yet staying with the hero. Or when he would dolly in swiftly while zooming out simultaneously, an unsettling experience for the viewer.
I was reading Japanese history when his samurai films were first
shown in the U.S., and the wars of the Shoguns seemed to come alive from his films. I thought of him as quintesentially Japanese, and am surprised to learn of his critics in Japan. It reminds me of comments I heard of the films of Satyajit Ray in India: "Ray's films
are not Indian, they are realism, and we in India have too much reality. We want our films to be fantasy. His films are not popular in India." At the time I was using Patha Panchali in my film classes, and was floored by that attitude.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-21-2002 07:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Satyajit Ray comparison is interesting, picking up on Paul M's point, because he too, is known mainly outside India. I remember reading somewhere that he tended to raise the money for projects by winning prizes at international film festivals and pulling money in through cultural kudos rather than commercial sources, and that he was conscious of aiming a lot of his stuff at western audiences.

As for Kurosawa I love Throne of Blood - especially the 'human dartboard' scene - and there's some very stylish black-and-white 'scope in The Bad Sleep Well. Besides, setting Hamlet in the world of Japanese big business is a great idea.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-10-2015 12:34 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 4678 days since the last post.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-10-2015 12:34 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently, Akira Kurosawa's (1910 - 1998) daughter Kazuko published this list, which spans from the silents through 1997.

Akira Kurosawa’s 100 Favorite Movies

1. Broken Blossoms or The Yellow Man and the Girl (Griffith, 1919) USA
2. Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari [The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari] (Wiene, 1920) Germany
3. Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler – Ein Bild der Zeit [Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler] (Lang, 1922) Germany
4. The Gold Rush (Chaplin, 1925) USA
5. La Chute de la Maison Usher [The Fall of the House of Usher] (Jean Epstein, 1928) France
6. Un Chien Andalou [An Andalusian Dog] (Bunuel, 1928) France
7. Morocco (von Sternberg, 1930) USA
8. Der Kongress Tanzt (Charell, 1931) Germany
9. Die 3groschenoper [The Threepenny Opera] (Pabst, 1931) Germany
10. Leise Flehen Meine Lieder [Lover Divine] (Forst, 1933) Austria/Germany
11. The Thin Man (Dyke, 1934) USA
12. Tonari no Yae-chan [My Little Neighbour, Yae] (Shimazu, 1934) Japan
13. Tange Sazen yowa: Hyakuman ryo no tsubo [Sazen Tange and the Pot Worth a Million Ryo] (Yamanaka, 1935) Japan
14. Akanishi Kakita [Capricious Young Men] (Itami, 1936) Japan
15. La Grande Illusion [The Grand Illusion] (Renoir, 1937) France
16. Stella Dallas (Vidor, 1937) USA
17. Tsuzurikata Kyoshitsu [Lessons in Essay] (Yamamoto, 1938) Japan
18. Tsuchi [Earth] (Uchida, 1939) Japan
19. Ninotchka (Lubitsch, 1939) USA
20. Ivan Groznyy I, Ivan Groznyy II: Boyarsky Zagovor [Ivan the Terrible Parts I and II] (Eisenstein, 1944-46) Soviet Union
21. My Darling Clementine (Ford, 1946) USA
22. It’s a Wonderful Life (Capra, 1946) USA
23. The Big Sleep (Hawks, 1946) USA
24. Ladri di Biciclette [The Bicycle Thief] [Bicycle Thieves] (De Sica, 1948) Italy
25. Aoi sanmyaku [The Green Mountains] (Imai, 1949) Japan
26. The Third Man (Reed, 1949) UK
27. Banshun [Late Spring] (Ozu, 1949) Japan
28. Orpheus (Cocteau, 1949) France
29. Karumen kokyo ni kaeru [Carmen Comes Home] (Kinoshita, 1951) Japan
30. A Streetcar Named Desire (Kazan, 1951) USA
31. Thérèse Raquin [The Adultress] (Carne 1953) France
32. Saikaku ichidai onna [The Life of Oharu] (Mizoguchi, 1952) Japan
33. Viaggio in Italia [Journey to Italy] (Rossellini, 1953) Italy
34. Gojira [Godzilla] (Honda, 1954) Japan
35. La Strada (Fellini, 1954) Italy
36. Ukigumo [Floating Clouds] (Naruse, 1955) Japan
37. Pather Panchali [Song of the Road] (Ray, 1955) India
38. Daddy Long Legs (Negulesco, 1955) USA
39. The Proud Ones (Webb, 1956) USA
40. Bakumatsu taiyoden [Sun in the Last Days of the Shogunate] (Kawashima, 1957) Japan
41. The Young Lions (Dmytryk, 1957) USA
42. Les Cousins [The Cousins] (Chabrol, 1959) France
43. Les Quarte Cents Coups [The 400 Blows] (Truffaut, 1959) France
44. A bout de Souffle [Breathless] (Godard, 1959) France
45. Ben-Hur (Wyler, 1959) USA
46. Ototo [Her Brother] (Ichikawa, 1960) Japan
47. Une aussi longue absence [The Long Absence] (Colpi, 1960) France/Italy

48. Le Voyage en Ballon [Stowaway in the Sky] (Lamorisse, 1960) France
49. Plein Soleil [Purple Noon] (Clement, 1960) France/Italy
50. Zazie dans le métro [Zazie on the Subway](Malle, 1960) France/Italy
51. L’Annee derniere a Marienbad [Last Year in Marienbad] (Resnais, 1960) France/Italy
52. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Aldrich, 1962) USA
53. Lawrence of Arabia (Lean, 1962) UK
54. Melodie en sous-sol [Any Number Can Win] (Verneuil, 1963) France/Italy
55. The Birds (Hitchcock, 1963) USA
56. Il Deserto Rosso [The Red Desert](Antonioni, 1964) Italy/France
57. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Nichols, 1966) USA
58. Bonnie and Clyde (Penn, 1967) USA
59. In the Heat of the Night (Jewison, 1967) USA
60. The Charge of the Light Brigade (Richardson, 1968) UK
61. Midnight Cowboy (Schlesinger, 1969) USA
62. MASH (Altman, 1970) USA
63. Johnny Got His Gun (Trumbo, 1971) USA
64. The French Connection (Friedkin, 1971) USA
65. El espíritu de la colmena [Spirit of the Beehive] (Erice, 1973) Spain
66. Solyaris [Solaris] (Tarkovsky, 1972) Soviet Union
67. The Day of the Jackal (Zinneman, 1973) UK/France
68. Gruppo di famiglia in un interno [Conversation Piece] (Visconti, 1974) Italy/France
69. The Godfather Part II (Coppola, 1974) USA
70. Sandakan hachibanshokan bohkyo [Sandakan 8] (Kumai, 1974) Japan
71. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Forman, 1975) USA
72. O, Thiassos [The Travelling Players] (Angelopoulos, 1975) Greece
73. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975) UK
74. Daichi no komoriuta [Lullaby of the Earth] (Masumura, 1976) Japan
75. Annie Hall (Allen, 1977) USA

76. Neokonchennaya pyesa dlya mekhanicheskogo pianino [Unfinished Piece for Mechanical Piano] (Mikhalkov, 1977) Soviet Union
77. Padre Padrone [My Father My Master] (P. & V. Taviani, 1977) Italy
78. Gloria (Cassavetes, 1980) USA
79. Harukanaru yama no yobigoe [A Distant Cry From Spring] (Yamada, 1980) Japan
80. La Traviata (Zeffirelli, 1982) Italy
81. Fanny och Alexander [Fanny and Alexander] (Bergman, 1982) Sweden/France/West Germany
82. Fitzcarraldo (Herzog, 1982) Peru/West Germany
83. The King of Comedy (Scorsese, 1983) USA
84. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (Oshima, 1983) UK/Japan/New Zealand
85. The Killing Fields (Joffe 1984) UK
86. Stranger Than Paradise (Jarmusch, 1984) USA/ West Germany
87. Dongdong de Jiaqi [A Summer at Grandpa’s] (Hou, 1984) Taiwan
88. Paris, Texas (Wenders, 1984) France/ West Germany
89. Witness (Weir, 1985) USA
90. The Trip to Bountiful (Masterson, 1985) USA
91. Otac na sluzbenom putu [When Father was Away on Business] (Kusturica, 1985) Yugoslavia
92. The Dead (Huston, 1987) UK/Ireland/USA
93. Khane-ye doust kodjast? [Where is the Friend’s Home] (Kiarostami, 1987) Iran
94. Baghdad Cafe [Out of Rosenheim] (Adlon, 1987) West Germany/USA
95. The Whales of August (Anderson, 1987) USA
96. Running on Empty (Lumet, 1988) USA
97. Tonari no totoro [My Neighbour Totoro] (Miyazaki, 1988) Japan
98. A un [Buddies] (Furuhata, 1989) Japan
99. La Belle Noiseuse [The Beautiful Troublemaker] (Rivette, 1991) France/Switzerland
100. Hana-bi [Fireworks] (Kitano, 1997) Japan

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2015 02:04 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Paul for this wonderful iconic list. In chronological form,
it forms a fantasy of reliving cinema's artistic history. And I enjoyed re-reading the thread you resurrected from 13 years ago!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: