Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Movie Glitches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Movie Glitches
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The oter day, I was watching a program about a "watchdog" group that moniters films for glitches. Some of these glitches are quite funny, and there are several internet sites devoted to this topic...so I guess I will start it off !

1933 King Kong w/Ray Wray. In the jungle scene when Kong comes for Fay Wray. The "natives" are scampering for cover! One "native" jumps off of an elevated portion of the set and lands in a prop. His "Afro" wig gets tangled in the prop and comes off revealing an actor in black-face!

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-23-2002 04:44 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best glitch I ever saw and laughed at to death...

Menace II Society...

SETUP: Poker game, four men playing. One calls the other a cheat, he claimes innocent. The accuser gets up and pulls out a six barrel revolver.... and shoots...... BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG..... eight times, without reloading, and then turns to the other two and says.... "anyone else want a piece of this"... they both respond... "no way man... .youre cool" both with fear in thier eyes.....

I don't know if I would be afraid of a gun that already owed me two bullits.

Dave

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the gunman had a 9mm with a full clip and one in the chamber.

That's the one scene of Menace II Society that I recall: The man says "Kiss my motherf&$)!*' ass" and gets blown away, still in his seat.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 10:29 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One "glitch" I thought should have been fixed was in Goodfellas. There's a scene where Conway (De Niro) is in a phone booth, and just learns that DeVito (Joe Pesci) has been "wacked." He steps just outside of the booth to tell Hill (Liotta.) Conway is so upset, that he pounds his hands on the booth.

You can just see the phone booth tip over, but it does go out of frame. Ray Liotta even glances at it as it goes over, and you can hear the sound of it crashing to the ground.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray Liotta is one swole gangsta, dawg.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-23-2002 10:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High Plains Drifter -- The scene where Clint is teaching the townspeople how to ambush the "bad guys". Clint is standing on the boardwalk, drinking a beer, while the other men are shooting at a wagon full off dummies from the rooftops...

1) Shot of Clint drinking a beer. The glass is half full.
2) Cut away to a shot of the guys shooting at the wagon.
3) Cut back to Clint. Glass is full.
4) Cut away to shooting, then back to Clint. Glass is almost empty.
5) Another cut. Glass is full again.

So, does Clint have a magic beer glass?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2002 07:07 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stormtroopers bumbing his head in Episode IV. Frickin awesome, It is even better now because GL had a line dubbed in for the Special Edition having another Stormtrooper saying like "look after him"...
Here is a site just devoted to Star Wars bloopers http://www.egosystem.com/starwars/anh/anh09.htm
That particular page has the picture of the Stormtrooper hitting his head...
Funny Stuff

BTW, John, that version of Goodfellas that you were watching, was it Pan&scan? I just popped it in the DVD player and I could see the phone booth topple over. It appears that it was supposed to happen in the film. A pan&scan version may have that cropped out.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 11:06 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "Last Action Hero" there's a shot of a car blowing up and of course becoming airborn in the process. As the car goes airborn, you can very plainly see the hydraulic cannon-lift device that propels it in the air.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-24-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst glitch "King of King's" Roadshow...As they are being led across the desert in the distance you see a plane flying over the mountains.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 07:36 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris: How could a guy just push a phone booth over!

Another one I liked was in Close Encounters. The cops chase spaceships through a toll plaza where a guy is yelling at them to stop and pay. The clock behind him is backwards showing that the image was reversed. But you couldn't see it for many years on the VHS version because they were all pan n' scaned. Speiberg was interviewed by Tom Snider about 6 months after the film came out and asked him about it. Speiberg replied that time doesn't have any meaning to people who can travel faster than light, so.... !

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 08:36 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On an extremely low budget film I worked on in 1973 ( I was the sound mixer,did the pressbook + poster stills, edited the trailer, did the radio ads, and mounted the 35 release prints that debut in the "better" drive-ins ) had a scene where a white van blows up....well it was a Chevrolet ( mine ) and a split second later turned into a Ford for the blast....the Ford had no engine and someone forgot to bring a cable to pull it into the shot...so Chevrolet to the rescue.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 12:25 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have to reply to David. Last Action Hero.

The blown up car takes place in the movie characters world, not the world of the boy and the real Arnold. Hence, OF COURSE you can see the hydraulic lift, he also never loads, gets shot, or curses like normal man getting shot at would. Anyway, just thought I'd let loose there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-25-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
One of last year's most enjoyable films...JoyRide, the CB radio antenna keeps changing sides of the trunk. Also, the CB channel keeps changing, sometimes in mid conversation.

Regarding reversed shots, check out Terminator 2 when the 18 wheeler runs over the bridge into the canal (for you "film" guys, that would be in reel 2). The shot where the truck busts through the wall of the bridge there is a street sign that is in the background and very prominent. However, if you look closer, the word "Freightliner" on the hood of the truck is backwards. Apparently no one felt it would be noticed and they only reversed the street sign. (Joe, is that visible in your DVD for a screen shot?)

Christopher, if you get an original "Episode 4" tape you will notice there is the sound of static as the Stormtrooper hits his head. Pretty funny, as obviously the sound guys noticed it!

Here is what Joe came up with from the DVD.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 03:40 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a comprehensive list, visit www.movie-mistakes.com.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Howard's End the reflection of a Volkswagen Beetle can be seen in a window during one of the street scenes (the film is set in 1911).

There's also a 1980s Schwarzenegger film (can't remember which one) in which Arnie is driving a sports car being pursued by the police. As the car approaches the apex of a bend, heading towards the camera, it hits a rock and is knocked onto its side. The car then negotiates the bend (and passes the camera) on its side and then falls back onto four wheels. As it drives away, you can clearly see that the side of the car which had scraped along the tarmac at 70mph plus was spotlessly painted, without a scratch on it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: