Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Radio Spirits/When Radio Was

Author Topic: Radio Spirits/When Radio Was
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who enjoy the old radio shows of yesteryear, well, here's good news for you. Check out Carl Amari's "Radio Spirits/When Radio Was". This is a nationally syndicated show hosted by none other than Stan Freberg and all of the old shows are rebroadcast! All of these shows are also available for purchase, and there is a ton of neat stuff! Free catalogs available!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 04:41 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I buy tapes from them all the time. Outstanding service and the quality of the tapes is excellent. They have sales all the time. I have been a customer for years.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wisconsin has a really fantastic show on Sunday Nights. it's called Old Time Radio Night. The show starts at 8pm CST and runs three hours. They playa variety of old radio dramas and comedies. It's really great. I am not telling you to brag about it, but because you can listen online at www.wpr.org Check it out!

I really love some of the old SciFi and Suspense shows. X Minus One is probably my favorite.

I came across another great website recently: http://www.otrcat.com/index.html They sell CD-Roms with mp3 versions of many old shows. For example, you can get an entire run of X Minus One on a single CD for $5. That is 127 episodes!!! I haven't gotten anything from there yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but in this case, there is something to be said for the quantity.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken

Radio Spirits also has a lot on CD. They also have videos and DVDs of Radio Shows that made it to the small screen. This company also colloberates with the Smithonian on projects. I have also seen their boxed sets for sale in Price Club/Costco

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the whole Superman, Stan Freberg, and Mel Blanc collections on cassettes. Worth every penny!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-08-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe trip from my apartment in New York City to my office is Newtown Connecticut takes an average of one and a half hours. During this time I go back into the 1940's and listen to shows like William Boyd as Hoppalong Cassidy and Jack Webb as Joe Friday. Nothing like Box Thirteen with Alan Ladd.

I have to let you guy's know, you when I went to bed from 1941 (that's my earlist recollection in memory) of turning off the lights and enveloping myself into and be coming part of a Radio Show.) It was fantastic and extreemly real to me.

Driving to Newtown I relive these show thanks to Radio Spirits. Inc.

I have many of their tapes and my kid's know that they can not buy me a better gift.

I also have the complete Superman collection.

After all, When I look in the mirror....I am Clark Kent.

Thanks for the memories.......Maybe I was Bob Hope and didn't know it.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2002 09:36 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was still a tyke, Wolfman Jack was an idol to those my age. But my Mom would not let me listen to him, so I got to listen to him at my friends home in a sneaky way!

Other favorite radio shows of mine is Dr. Demento and Cousin Brucie...neither of whom are on the air in AZ

Bob...I collect vinyl and have a boxed Spike Jones collection that is mint! Also have Gertrude Berg in "How To Be A Jewish Mother!" on vinyl! Time Lifes Rock and Roll Era was origonally available on vinyl but now only on tape and cd. I have much of this collection...all virgin and still wrapped including the "Wild and Wacky" novelty album!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-10-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One nice thing about the internet is the ability to pick up these fine shows! There is such variety out there. Conventional radio seems to have about 5CDs in their stations and they just keep playing them over, and over and over and over and over.....

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: