Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A bit of film news

Author Topic: A bit of film news
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 04:37 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

First a bit of background

I recently came across a film magazine called 'Filmink' which is distributed free in many cinemas here in Australia. I wento to their website and discovered that they have a film club called Clubink which is quite good value. You pay $A55 ($US28) and get 12 double passes to a variety of films during the year, an annual home subscription to Filmink and various other goodies. Cool.

Yesterday my package arrived in the mail including double passes to 'No Mans Land' and 'Van Wilder' and a couple of copies of Filmink. Today I started browsing through the latest issue and found some information that will be of interest to those who enjoyed 'Moulin Rouge'. It's not on the Internet so I have reproduced tha article as follows

Cloudland

Following on from the international success of Moulin Rouge, comes the announcement of a new Australian musical film called Cloudland. Executive produced by Dean Elijah, the film centres on the legendary Cloudland Ballroom, which opened in Brisbane's Bowen Hills in 1939 and closed its doors in 1982, after hosting the likes of Buddy Holly and Johnny O'Keefe. Cloudland follows three usherettes who begin working at the ballroom in the early 50s and follows their lives over the next three decades. Elijah's company Rising Son Productions is currently courting Baz Luhrmann to direct, and Twentieth Century Fox, Warner Brothers, Dreamworks and Village Roadshow Pictures to get behind the screenplay, which is currently in third draft."

The idea of a ballroom based musical had some appeal to me until that name Luhrmann (Get thee behind me Luhrmann!) came up. The idea of another overblown musical with fast editing, actors pretending to be real singers, confused direction and rehashed Gold 104 music made my heart sink. Here's hoping he is too busy.

By the way there was also another article in the same publication (Filmlink April 2002) and I feel compelled to reproduce it.

From the Dumb Ideas Department

The name is Luhrmann... Baz Luhrmann

After reinventing the musical with Moulin Rouge, and devising a new method of torture in the process, Australian dirctor Baz Luhrmann has stated that he might like to direct the next James Bond movie. Will Bond be a dancing man? Will Richard Roxburgh star as a dentally challenged villain. Will Nickers Kidman be the unsexiest Bond girl ever? "I have to think not really what I want to do, but rather what I need to do to continue making life so rich so that I can grow in the journey" says the down-to-earth Baz-man. "Now it might be that I need to make a James Bond film. That could happen. Anything could happen"

Maybe he WILL be too busy.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 05:12 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let the rip-offs begin!

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2002 07:12 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cloudland Ballroom was situated on a hill and provided a panoramic view of Brisbane. There was a restaurant on the same site that was named the Panarama Room(?)
The Ballroom was highly popular when the American troops were in Brisbane during the Second World War. General Douglas McArthur had his headquarters in Brisbane while he was planning his return to the Phillipines (I shall return).
The Cloudland Ballroom had a fully sprung dance floor which did not respond too well when the Stomp craze was popular. The Premier of Queensland, Joh Bjelke Petersen had the Ballroom demolished by the Dean Brothers in the mid Eighties which was not a particularly popular move at the time. The site was still undeveloped in 1991 when I departed from Brisbane.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2002 03:15 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again

Here's a link explaining what became of the Cloudland Ballroom.

This link edited by moderator, but still functional. Please read the FAQ on posting lengthy link addresses.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: