Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A VERY critical audience

Author Topic: A VERY critical audience
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2002 11:08 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have often thought about the effect on your performance of having an I.A.T.S.E convention in your town. You know during the week or so it lasts that there are bound to be other projectionists in your audience, judging your work.

Now, imagine having THIS crowd (the members of this forum) in that auditorium.

What unusual pains would you take to avoid being written up here?

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2002 12:52 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than a fully stocked bar in the lobby, I can't think of a thing.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-20-2002 01:32 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unusual pains? I would like to think that most of us wouldn't have to take much in the way of unusual pains. It should be just another day of operating "film done right" with technical performance no different than any other day or audience. It should just be another chance to excel!

However, if I knew in advance of such a tough crowd about to invade my space I suppose I'd bump up the cleaning schedule a bit and try to make sure the booth area and equipment is really clean. Also, hopefully such a crowd won't be seeing the first screening of a freshly FilmGuard'ed print--I'd like it to have had at least one run beforehand.

Same with the houses--clean and maintained. No screen damage. No broken seats. No burnouts in the house lights. And Jerry reminds me about the need for Guiness and Maartinis to be brought to the appropriate audience members by attentive and attractive floor staff... That should do it!

Paul
Gimpy Film Putter Inner

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2002 06:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jerry, would this do? (Look on the right.)

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it has Bob Maar's seal of approval, it works for me!

I suspect that when this crew arrived, the one lonely lady in the pic would either find herself on the fast track to a degree in engineering and film appreciation or be pushed out of the bar...

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-21-2002 08:58 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd post a sign suggesting that anybody who thinks they can run my booth any better than me can come up and take a whack at it. Then, after the line formed, the auditorium would be empty.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-21-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look real close to the picture that Brad posted you will see she is talking to me. What you can't see are my two hands, one is holding a drink your guess is where my other hand is. Thanks Jerry.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 05:25 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A severe pain in the belly requireing a relief projectionst.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER. CARBON ARC, THE ONLY LIGHT FOR THE STARS!
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My God, looking even closer still, you can see that that lady actually IS Bob.

Wow Bob, well done.

Craig Hanham
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 10:41 PM      Profile for Craig Hanham   Email Craig Hanham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Bill and Stan those sound like my approaches.
However my approach would be like this.
Lay on the (not so) soft drinks the night before, con some poor reminiscent or over eager fool to run my booth (it's amazing how many projectionist eyes light up when you say you run changeover with Arcs), then sit in the house and bitch over all the things wrong with the gaff (because I am a right ).

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2002 12:07 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats another good idea Craig,then tell the sucker whats it all about just before showtime.
Then sit in the centre where he can see you, looking over your shoulder.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER. CARBON ARC, THE ONLY LIGHT FOR THE STARS!
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: