Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Spiderman (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Spiderman
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else agree with me when I say that the markets are being deluged with Spiderman prints becuase it's gonna bomb out?

I mean, three prints (at my location), come on.... This is more of a niche film than it is a crossover based film, IMHO. Then again, I've been known to be wrong before!

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny most bookers feel it will outdo StarWars

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly doubt it will outdo Starwars but we will see.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 10:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been hearing some posative things about it. But who knows till the thing opens. People have been calling asking when tickets go onsale. Could be huge or another Godzilla.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 11:10 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This, and M.I.B. 2 are Sony's big movies for the year.
They are putting a lot of faith in them, hence the wide releases.

In N.Z. they are also going quite wide.

However Godzilla did rather well in my wee town.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 01:41 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The running time is 121. If it was going to bomb, like say Time Machine, they would have cut it down to 5 reels, say 96 or 98 minutes, so they could squeeze in 5 shows a day. A 2 hour running time (without trailers mind you) indicates that the studio has faith in the picture.

However, all that doesn't change the fact that Star Wars, a movie that will draw from exactly the same demographic as Spiderman, opens 13 days after Spiderman. The saturation release (our location gets 3 prints also) could probably be compared more to Monsters, Inc. That movie was great, but Disney had to contend with Harry Porrter just two weeks down the road.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I'll be building up two prints of Spiderman this week. *mock enthusiasm* whee.

As far as I know, most of the people I work with just aren't too psyched up for it either.

Comic book superheroes just never did it for me. Oh well.

It's not like I'd actually be able to watch the screening anyway, as lately our bookers seem to have a fascination with changing enough stuff to make me a busy little bee! Recently it's been a bunch of weeks with 3 in, 4 out; or vice versa, and we've been playing 12+ different titles for quite some time, on 10 screens.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you just love it when the distributors force your bookers to hold over a print of "x movie" when it only grossed $500 for the week?

"Distributor" 'Well, we want you to hold over "x movie" for anotehr week. Go to one show if needed, we just want it there one more week so it makes another $100. Plus, we like causing your operators as much trouble as we can'.

"Booker" Well, we'd rather final, but we'll hold this one for you"

"Manager" 'This makes NO sense whatsoever.. 16 screens with 3 Spiderman prints and double ups on 4 screens.... WTF?'

"Operator" 'If they only had to do this double billing shit once, they'd understand'

"Customer" 'Why is 'x movie' only playing at 9:50? I'd like to see it at 2....

It never ends...

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-30-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spider-Man won't outgross Star Wars 2, but I don't think it'll be another Godzilla either. I'm thinking more like "The Grinch" ... a well-known character that spans the generations. As long as it doesn't suck, it will be a huge hit.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 02:55 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly hope it's nothing like The Grinch. We got hit bad by the Grinch, and I mean BAD. We had two or three prints playing 5 times a day, and every single show sold out every single day for about 2 weeks straight. 'Twas a nightmare, for I was still downstairs at the time.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 04:07 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jacob,
I dont see that as a bad thing, I hope we fill up for every showing of Spiderman, that is what keeps us in business.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a bad thing per se, but just a pain in the arse considering I was getting paid only $5.75/hour to deal with thousands of people a day and much of our staff was new, leading to long lines everywhere.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2002 08:40 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David F: Sony has a big lineup this summer -- Spider-Man, Enough (with J.Lo ), Mr. Deeds (with Adam Sandler), MIIB (Men in Black II), Stuart Little 2, xXx (with Vin Diesel ). The weekly print edition of Variety had a story about the Sony slate a few weeks back.

Most chains' websites have been pushing advance tickets for Spider-Man. Few people are buying advance tickets, though. I did that for Star Wars Episode 1 and have vowed "Never Again!"

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2002 10:00 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why all the complaining about the bookers intentionally trying to make you do more work? There is a lot more to booking than meets the eye. If you piss a film company off, you risk losing their product. That's why you have to play junk like "Freddy Got Fingered" from Fox. Doubling up prints isn't really that big of a headache anyways. I remember a couple of weeks last fall when I had 15 prints here in my 10-screen. I can count on one hand the number of weeks in the last year when I only had 10 movies showing. It's just part of the job. And for those that still want to complain about their booker, why don't you try doing their job for a week, and then tell me how you like it? Plus most bookers used to be in your shoes. "If they only had to do this double billing shit once, they'd understand." HOW FREAKING DIFFICULT IS IT? I assume you have a 3-deck platter system. All you do is thread a different show! The only way I could possibly see it being a pain is if you don't have automated masking and turret changes. In which case disregard the previous statement.

Rant over.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-01-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw it a pain a couple of times and that is when they booked us with three prints in the same house. If possable I could connect two of them but when not possable we had to move the prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: