Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » R.I.P. Common Sense

Author Topic: R.I.P. Common Sense
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-02-2002 07:37 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life in Canada and the United States but died from heart failure on the beginning of the new millennium.

No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense.

He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language, and "new math." But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person- it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned, but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers.

His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parents when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals receive better treatment than their victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when a woman, failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a huge Settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic, but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations, such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone

-Author Unknown

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen brother

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, Knew I'd seen this someplace, these are the common by laws that were adapted by the large chains years ago.
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-02-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I kissed my first girl when I was 6 years old (so was she) and the S.W.A.T. team didn't come after me. You know what? I turned out OK, even though most of you could argue otherwise If I had been born 20 years later I guess I would be in jail for the rest of my life.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this had been posted a few months ago, I could've posted it in the booth of my last theater before I left for that very reason

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I do it Jesse. These "new age" people will find that when common sense goes out the window, I'll politely wrap up my dealings with them, and then strike them off the list, never to deal with them again. Remember folks, there's still way more of us than them, ignore them.......

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-04-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that AMEN, Greg.

I just read an article that kids are now fooling with a new drug called GHB. Two teen-agers landed in the hospital. The drug is made from drain cleaner and floor stripper or engine degreaser. One of the kids claimed that someone spiked his water bottle. Oh? Seems to me the water would smell kind of funky, and taste the same. But he drank it anyway. Common sense? HAH! I doubt if both of those kids had any.

If someond did spike his drinking water, where was the common sense of the spiker? The spikee almost died. Nice friends.....the kind you don't need.

People who use drugs are dumb. People who don't use drugs are smart!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-04-2002 09:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends where the water came from I know of some city water systems that reek pretty bad

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 10:36 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drugs are bad, m'kay....

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-04-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happened in the City of Federal Way, right off Interstate 5 between Seattle and Tacoma. The water quality in that area is very good.

True, in some areas the water tastes like something you might expect in a cow shit trough in some damn barn in the mid-west.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-04-2002 07:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GHB is classified as a sedative-hypnotic, and was originally
developed as a sleep-aid.
GHB (Gamma hydroxybutyrate) usually comes as an odorless
liquid, slightly salty to the taste, and sold in small bottles. It
has also been found in powder and capsule form.
It is not made from engine degreaser or drain cleaner, but caustic soda is used in "bathtub" synthesis of the stuff - this may explain that theory. Even if one used engine degreaser as a source for the soda, it would be washed out during the synthesis. The actual precursor chemical used is gamma-butyrolactone which is sold as a dietary supplement. Synthesis of GHB is very simple once one has the gamma-butyrolactone. This stuff is now hard to get, the DEA and FDA are getting it recalled for obvious reasons.
If you see the movie Salton Sea you'll get an idea of what a "home" drug synthesis lab looks like (had to tie this to films somehow) and see one blow up real good! (They're supposedly making speed in the movie, which uses much more explosive chemistry than GHB, and a speed lab can blow up rather well)

Whatever, the stuff is dangerous, has been deadly, is used as a date-rape drug at near-lethal dosage and as an alcohol-like intoxicant at lower doses.
It can be added to any drink or food but would be noticeable in water, not so with many flavoured drinks.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-04-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dave. I got the information of what it was made of from the Seattle PI newspaper. According to the article, it is becoming a very popular drug for home brewers in both Washington State and California.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 01:39 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul -

I'll have you know the water from the trough in our theatre tastes pretty good most of the time. And the cow shit just helps the popcorn we all love grow nice and tall.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-05-2002 02:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, that's gotta be a classic! Do you folks have the "Common Crappers" there in Iowa? (Those are when there are 2 or more holes with a constant stream of water for a continous flush.) What you might want to do for giggles is saturate a roll of toilet paper with lighter fluid, and when all holes are in use, light it, throw it in the stream of water (on the high side) and send it on its way. Then run as fast as you can!

My uncle did that a couple of times on board ship when he was in the navy during World War II.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 01:44 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul -
That must've been common on ships, or urban legend. My dad told me the same thing happened when he was in the Navy. We don't have common flush toilets at my theatre, but for the opening weekend of Spider-Man, I did install some brand new, two-story out houses for the customers to use. For some reason they didn't go over very well.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: