Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Outdoor screening in Livingstone Scotland. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Outdoor screening in Livingstone Scotland.
Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 08:05 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you near Edingbourgh want to experience a real Drive in movie, we are showing 'Harry Potter' at 9pm in the Asda/Walmart car park on a 20m Scope screen. Transmitting the SR sound over FM radio and a small P.A for a mini grandstand on site.

Darren

|  IP: Logged

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 11:45 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How have you set up your screen?

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have to get an RSL license for the FM or are there get outs for low-power evening events like that?

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 09:54 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Screen is a huge inflatable one, only two of its kind in europe, its screen sheet is about 15 meters wide in a 2:1 shape roughly.
It is dead easy to put up , just lay it out attach the screen sheet and pump the air in. hold the ropes to guide it and then it bobs up!
The radio frequency was set by the local radio athority and it was a 1watt stereo transmitter, which was heard at a distance of 5 miles away! a 3k lamp was used for the Scope film 'Harry Potter' and looked stuning, the print was the uk show print of it.
Il try get some pictures sent in
Darren

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is Livingstone?? I've only heard of Livingston!

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 03:21 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete mate ,
your right, sorry dumb english for you!
Sound's better with the 'e' on the end though!
Darren

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 06:40 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that too loudly round there if I were you, you're liable to get a free ticket for a whistle stop tour of St Johns Hospital A&E!
Did you do the screening in the Asda car park here in Dunfermline? I meant to try and get along there, (it's about a mile from my door), but you knoe the pressures of life.....

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 08:05 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of stuff happening round about the lothian region, if you want to venture a wee bit south into border reiver country, there is currently a film festival on the go. Tonight we had the scottish premier of 'Mrs Caldicots Cabbage Ware' with the producer and director in attendence. If you are into scottish shorts (short films rather than the appendage) check out this;

Borders-born Justin Molotnikov has a string of writing and directing credits in film and TV to his name while Dumfries's Adrian McDowall is one of the brightest emerging talents in Scottish film-making - his short film, Who's My Favourite Girl? was the first student film to win a BAFTA. The two film makers will attend this event to talk about their work and about their experience of getting into film making in Scotland in conjunction with screenings of four of their short films:

Poached (which won Best Foreign Film at the Belfort Film Festival) and Pan Fried were both made by Justin Molotnikov on location in the Borders and feature award-winning performances as well as some familiar scenery. Who's My Favourite Girl? and The Toon Fair take an affectionately humorous look at life in McDowall's native south west Scotland.

This is Tuesday night at the Pavilion Cinema, Galashiels @ 8pm.

If you are interested, phone the Pavilion on 01896752767, if you want to speak to me ask for Andy (Doc) and quote Film-Tech

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-13-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if I were feeling very unkind, all I'd have to do is sneak round the back of this screen with a large-ish needle...

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 07:56 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was one of these:
www.harknesshall.com/airscreen.htm

I had heard a price on one of these, and it was big (ie-you could build a steel one - alot less portable for less). It looks really cool, but what about wind?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-13-2002 09:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The web page says:

quote:
Constructed to withstand wind force to Beaufort Scale 5 (19-24 mph / 30-38 kph), AIRSCREEN is anchored with four water filled ballast weights weighing approx 1 tonne each and secured by guy ropes. Alternative anchorage may be by sand bags filled to the same weight or direct ground fixing.

One tonne weights, eh? Glad I don't have to haul those around. Darren - I hope Lynne's been feeding you lots of spinach!

So the needle would be quite good, but give me a few seconds in a force 5 gale with a Swiss Army Knife and those guy ropes...

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 05:03 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep its a Harkness Hall screen , we get the local fire dept to come and fill the four ballasts, it takes them 4 trips as the fire engine only carries enough water to fill one of them! they drain in about 5 mins. When we took it down we left the screen sheet attached as its being used in Trafalgar Square, London on the 18th of this month, so if in London go along and have a look!, this saves alot of time as it takes age's to un-hook all the ties (about 250-300 in total)
It will also be in use for a couple of days in July for the Cambridge Film Festival.

Pete, the other Asda screenin's last year and the year before were done by a firm from Stockport I belive, this is the first one for us and Asda. I guess the other firm are in Asda's bad books??

Dave,
A perforated screen might be an idea for the future as the smallest wind makes it look like a sail! But picture wise, you cant tell as its so Huge, this is the largest they do apparently.
As for a steel framed one, it is less practical for transport and speed in putting up and down, on friday night it took us an hour and a half to take the screen down and re-flightcase all the projection quipment, with a stele frame we'd be still there now! And it only takes 4 people to put up in less than 2 hours.

Leo, as for Lynne, only need the spinach for the bedroom gymnastics!! LOL
Security is a must for the guy ropes!

Darren

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 05:13 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A perforated screen might be an idea for the future as the smallest wind makes it look like a sail!

Err... Darren... an inflatable screen which is perforated?! This kind of reminds me about a joke involving an Irishman in a hot air balloon...

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 11:02 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep the screen frame is inflatable and the screen sheet is attached to the middle of it. Its like a huge infaltable rectangular donut with a solid or perforated sheet attached in the middle by ties.
Darren

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 04:46 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren:

Can you tell us what type of Projector they used?.

There was some two years ago a Outdoor Screening at a local Asda near where I live, and that was the former Stella mobile van equipment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: