Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Episode 2 Entireyly in Digital!

Author Topic: Episode 2 Entireyly in Digital!
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-14-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click Here

This is from a forum about people who are into DV video.

You don't need to register to read this, but you will if you want to reply. It's free and immediate. It is entertaining to see what the video people think, eh? I am such an ass for posting this link (poor video people) but I couldn't resist.

Oooops looks like I misspelled the subject. WTF the UBB won't let me edit the subject? Arg!

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I am halfway considering flying down to Orange County or San Diego for the sole purpose of taking in a DLP showing of EP2. How's that for nutty? The DLP curiosity-factor is starting to suppress the "That's not very practical" argument in my head. I just sold (ACK!) my minty-fresh Eight Ball Deluxe pinball machine which would more than cover the cost of the road trip.

[Joe, your photos are looking a little Opera-ized again today.]

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 03:45 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David:
I talked to the head projectionist at Seattle's Cinerama theatre last eve. Now they are going to play Star Wars in digital from the start. They were going top run a 35 print for a couple of weeks, but now that's changed. I guess all is up and running because they had the benefit showing Sunday and ran it on the Barco. He says the customers probably won't know the difference except for the dark scenes, which appeared to him to be grainy and murky looking.
There is also a corrected fiqure on the screen size. He says the picture is almost the same size as their normal scope screen, which I believe is about 65 feet, not the 45 mentioned earlier.
You might want to save a few bucks and travel to Seattle to see it. When you're here you can take the money you saved and buy us union boys some drinks and tell us what you thought of the whole thing!
Check out the Metro in the U-district!
PS: Are they going to note which theatres are playing the film in digital in their newspaper ads?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was another thread here somewhere that listed a bunch of theaters in San Diego playing EP2 in DLP. The Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 also has a DLP engagement. I would probably avoid LA-metro area due to, well, the hassles of LA.

Seattle, eh? That's a possiblity...

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 04:15 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK David you win.
We'll buy the drinks!

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 08:16 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Here are, to the best of my knowledge, the San Diego County theatres showing Star Wars Episode II in :

AMC Mission Valley 20, San Diego, one screen
UltraStar Chula Vista 10, two screens
UltraStar Del Mar Highlands 8, one screen
UltraStar La Costa 6, Carlsbad, one screen
UltraStar Poway Creekside Plaza 10, two screens.

According to the (blatantly pro-digital) hype on the TV news, the UltraStars got Boeing systems (Barco heads on Kinoton consoles, as far as I can tell from the news footage showing the non-operator side of the projector). I don't know the specs on the AMC system, but it is one of the older prototypes.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-15-2002 09:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I'm figuring out a plan as we speak...

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Happy 500th post. You have now become a Jedi Master Film Handler. Use the Force, Dave....

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2002 11:47 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Has anyone emailed you back on the bet?
In Business Law it was taught to us by our lawyer instructor that "wagering" contracts are not even considered by courts. But you dont have to tell them that.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2002 07:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
One guy did, but he severely misread my bet. I told him to email me back in 2 days once the "madness" of Episode II was over to discuss terms.

Thanks for the tip on betting. I am not much of a gambling man and if I was to lose the bet I would promptly pay up, but there is no way I will bother if it cannot somehow legally stand up in court, for even though I would pay, I would bet the other guy (when proven wrong, of course) would use it as an out.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 06:47 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of these people are a scream! They can't wait for film to be replaced by digital, yet there's all this discussion regarding how to make their video look like FILM! LOL!

And at least one congratulated himself for using digital just like Lucas. Can't argue with this kind of logic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: