Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pro-Film Poster (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pro-Film Poster
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby Henderson sent this one in. Those of you with a high quality printer can make nice signs for the box office with this.
Click here to download

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 07:18 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, That looks awesome. Thanks!

For the absolute best results, I'd probably take it to a local print shop or service bureau. For only a couple of bucks, they could print it out better than any home ink-jet, and printing from .pdf files usually doesn't have any associated "pre-flight" charges. Plus, the image looks to be a standard C sheet size (17" x 22") but I may be wrong. Thanks again!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's nice, but is there a version for theaters that DON'T do film right?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 08:23 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a great way to fight back the digital dogs of video. Maybe if more theaters began pointing out the advantages of film, to the public, the masses would rally to film's defense. Good idea Bobby

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 08:48 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to let you guys know, digital cinema (DLP) is NOT video. Technicolor could explain it a lot better than I could, but there is a difference. So if by saying "digital video projection" you are referring to DLP, that is incorrect.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 08:51 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you said the movies for DLP come on DVDs.
What does the V in DVD stand for if DLP is not video?
I do not understand how it cold not be video.
Its not an overhead projector showing a flip book or a super colorized shadow puppet machine is it?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-14-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all it is is a bunch of JPG files being shown one after another at 24 per second right....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2002 09:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DLP shows come on DVD-ROM disks that carry data. You can't play them in a normal DVD player, just as you can't play DTS disks in a CD player.

I'm not sure I get the comment about DLP not being video projection. If they mean to say that it is not NTSC television, then that makes sense, but that doesn't mean that it isn't video projection. (And if it isn't video and isn't film, then what is it?)

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD - Digital Versatile Disc

Josh, I don't know if they are exactly JPEGs, but you have the right idea. Video uses scaning technology. The pixels are illuminated one at a time starting from the left of the first line, going across the line, and then on to the next line. DLP images are not scanned. The entire image appears at one time. Technically speaking, that is what makes it different from video. The Techicolor guy mistakenly referred to it as video, then slapped himself, said it's not video, and explained to me why.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-14-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD = Digital Versatile Disc

Since Ken and I (and now Aaron!) posted at the same time, I'll just add that DLP would be multimedia projection, just like an LCD projector for a computer. I guess if you look at it like "scanning", then anything other than a CRT would not be video?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-14-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>What does the V in DVD stand for if DLP is not video?<<

'Versatile' as in video or ROM.

and yes DLP is video, just in a new 'digital' format.

-Aaron

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 09:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the issue of "painting" the image on the screen (scanning), vs. projecting an entire frame at one time, is an important distinction. The Technicolor guys are saying that "video" implies CRT-based or at least a raster-scanning type technology.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an English major, but shouldn't the first sentence more correctly read "This movie theater uses only high-resolution film in its presentations."

I'm kicking around the idea of getting this printed out at Kinko's.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Video" to me means "electronic moving images".

I say Technicolor is blowing smoke by claiming it's not video. DLP presentation systems fit the definition of the term exactly. They just don't want to be associated with that word.

They'd rather people associate them with the word "digital", which in many people's minds is like "abracadabra". They know this, and are trying to exploit it. It's just marketing BS.

EDIT: By the way, if you look around TI's official DLP website, you'll see the term "video" used quite a bit.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2002 12:36 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's video. I think they just don't want you confusing it with interlaced television. But it absolutely positively is video. What else could it be? A hologram? It doesn't matter if it is sequenced JPEGs or TIFFs or whatever. It doesn't matter if it's shown one line at a time or the entire frame at once. It's video. Don't believe everything the digital guys tell you, although they probably believe it themselves.

Remember, Digital = The best anything can possibly ever be.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: