Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Foxtrot Comic

Author Topic: Foxtrot Comic
Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 12:55 AM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Foxtrot Comic. Read all the Days starting since May 13th.
The kid in the strip is camping out at his computer for Star Wars tickets. I found it rather amusing.
http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/viewft.htm

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 01:32 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox trot is still around?! I have all of the "Jurassic Park" series in a scrap book somewhere. How sad is that? (hey, I was only 14... okay, thats still sad) I remember the kid getting his head stuck inside a paper mache t-rex mask. Sigh... memories.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 02:22 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every since Calvin and Hobbes was discontinued, Foxtrot has become my absolute favroite (I own all the collections). At the risk of starting a debate, I don't think that there is a better strip out there (at least in a constantly funny way).

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boondocks is much more cutting. The really good comics often have a short lifespan. The writers just wear themselves out.

Single panel comics are the most difficult to pull off. Larsen did well, but he didn't do what I consider to be the zen master of all single panels. IMO Berkeley Breathed did this with one Bloom County panel. When you contemplate it long enough, this one panel gives insight into most human interactions, the problems with education, psychology, and predicting behavior. In addition it gives a simple health message. I can't post it, due to copyright, but if you send me an email, I'll email it to you in return if you promise not to publicly post it or describe it.

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not see how anyone could support the "Boondocks" comic strip, after it poked fun of America after the September 11 attacks. Many people petitioned the comic, and it was removed from the newspaper in my area.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 05:16 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I support Boondocks stance during that period, because IMO it was exactly the type of satire needed at the time to keep us from falling into a dangerous jingoistic frenzy. Boondocks walked right at the edge of the fine line between satire and flagrant disrespect for the government (never for the people who lost their lives, which I would not have tolerated). It is the recognized job of political cartoonists to stretch the envelope and hold those in public office accountable, which is why most of those cartoonists are loved or loathed.

I can understand how many people would find the strip offensive in contrast to the outburst of patriotism and flag waving at the time. I found some of it uncomfortable myself, even though I felt much of it was more or less accurate.

Since the days of those strips, 99% of the flags on cars are torn, faded, or gone, the immediacy of the horror is lessened, and some people are just now taking a harder look at the events leading up to 911, and the way the government reacted. I suggest that McGruder had a better knowledge of human behavior than it appeared at the time.

In any event, McGruder is an equal opportunity satirist, ripping both Republicans and far left liberals with equal glee. His send up of the mixed marriage couple in his strip was hilarious. Good satire is never tame, and McGruder's satire, at times, is as good as it gets.

The sad thing to me is that many comic strips are now sanitized into non-offensive, politically correct baby food. Whenever I see two or more strips tackling the same subject (ie: Mother's Day) with cutsie jokes, I cringe, knowing that they have totally sold out to pressure from the newspapers and syndicates.

Cartoons are a "Your Milage May Vary" commodity. Tastes are different. I nominate "Nancy" for the worst comic of all time.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 07:55 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom refuses to even look at "The Family Circus" because of how unrealistic and sappy it is, and she's usually not against that sort of thing! I loved the part in the movie "Go" where the guy says "I open the comics page, and right down there is the Family Fucking Circus just waiting to suck!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: