Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wierd virus (temp directory filling up by itself) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wierd virus (temp directory filling up by itself)
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have some sort of wierd virus. What's happening is that my hard drive fills up in a matter of minutes because junk keeps getting copied into my windows/temp directory.

As soon as I delete the contents of the temp directory, it starts filling up again! I did a virus scan, but it came up empty. I can't use my computer because the hard drive keeps thrashing (as it is copying files constantly).

Has anyone seen this before and what can be done?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use something like taskinfo to find the offending process. You can stop some stuff just by using task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and ending everything but explorer.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...I found that antivirus programs do not recognise it, but I have more characteristics:

It creates a folder in Windows/temp called 'sys32' and proceedes to fill it up with random junk it copies from other folders. It also wants to connect to the net, and when you do that it starts downloading random files and places these in there as well.

If you delete the sys32 folder, the process stops immediately...until you reboot, wherein the process starts all over again (and it wants to connect to the net, etc).

Everything seems to work fine - nothing is damaged.

No virus definitions I have found correspond to this.

I suspect I might be backing up my files and erasing my hard drive soon...

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 04:15 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erasing that hard drive may not be necessary!

Jerry's suggestion was great - taskinfo found the culprit. There's a file called explorer.scr that starts running whenever I boot the machine. I imagine .scr is some kind of script?

What else would I have to delete so that it doesn't execute this script upon booting?

Thanks, Jerry!

EDIT: Ah, got it! Everything in the system folder starts upon booting (makes sense I guess). You also cannot delete stuff from the system folder once you have booted since that file is in use...so I booted from a floppy and...it worked!

Now, the only question that remains is this: who would write such a horrible program and to what avail?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say who writes this , but Brad may throw me off for the language I may use. The people who write this crap are no better than people who are HIV+ and know it and still have unprotected sex, drug use whatever. These people need to be drawn and quartered...then shot. I have nothing to nice to say about them and if I did talk...I would make Andrew Dice Clay blush.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to remove the bad boy.

To attempt to answer some of your questions; .SCR extensions are supposedly Windows screensavers, which by my crotchity definition are close to viruses even when properly made. Windows will execute a program labelled with an .SCR extension, as you found. This can fool some people into downloading a file that they think is innocent, whereas they might not download and .EXE or .COM extension.

What is it doing? My guess is that it is looking to send the information it finds to some remote computer, as a hack or for some nefarious purpose. The code is probably written by some script-kiddie and that is why it crashes your computer rather than sending the files.

Virus definition files are a weak point in anti-viruses, as you just found. You may find that some virus databases like NAV will find a virus when another like MaCaffe will totally miss it. New viruses can be totally missed.

Look for virus and trojan problems to get much much worse in the coming years. DOS was built simply and viruses had few places to hide. Multitasking operating systems provide many places and obscure names where a virus can hide without being detected.

Now that you've dispatched the main program, I would suggest using the My_Computer/File/Find dialog box to find any files that contain the word "explorer.scr" Most script kiddies don't know how to parse out a name, and you will most likely find a mother file or program ready to reinstall this POS. I would be curious to know the name of that program. If you have the file, you might send a copy to Symantec or the other anti-virus companies.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 10:57 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, do you use any kind of firewall program? I use ZoneAlarm, which warns me anytime anything tries to access the net, as well if any other system tries to connect to mine without my consent. Does anyone else use it? Is it really effective in situations like this?

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 12:49 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i use zonealarm and find it works very well, but i have learnt through others mistakes, not to download files with strange codes.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 04:16 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I as well use ZoneAlarm Pro. It not only monitors all ports and limit access to programs that you give permission, it will block ads, block cookies, block pop-ups, filter addresses and so forth. It track all domains and IP adresses for you and you can go back and edit access to each address. I also use this in conjuction with Ad-Aware from Lavasoft. Ad-Aware keeps slimy advertisers out of your comuter by removing Spyware and scumware. Great stuff...

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-18-2002 08:28 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft Windows has (at least) one default setting that invites disater.
Open a "My Computer" window, select "View" "Folder Options" and "View"; uncheck "Hide File Extensions for Known File Types"!

If this is "checked", you won't see the file extensions for known file types... so if I send you a file like "greatpic.jpg.exe" you will only see the "greatpic.jpg" filename, and we all know a .jpg file is relatively safe to open... except it's really a program (and undoubtedly evil: there is no reason to hide a friendly program). This camouflage is used by many "social engineering" virus distributions.
There are dozens of known file extensions that are "executable" and can carry a virus payload. Any file with a double extension (like *.jpg.vbs) or any unknown (to you) extension should NEVER be opened. Doing a google search for the extension will usually tell you the function or parent program involved if you're curious.

And keep up to date via Windows Update. It doesn't make you invincible but once a vulnerability gets a "Critical Update" fix posted there, the whole black hat world knows about it and suddenly exploits appear in the wild... they try and take advantage of everyone who hasn't bothered with the updates.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't tried Zone Alarm, but if it helps with situations like this, then I'll probably give it a go. I thought that anti-virus programs would be fairly bulletproof, but apparently not...

I searched my hard drive for other files containing explorer.scr and there were a few instances of it (in outlook express, no less!) but no executables as such. I removed them all.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-18-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can download a basic copy of Zone Alarm for free. Zone Alarm Pro costs more money but blocks out pop up ads, e-mail scripts and other nonsense. You might visit the 2600.com website and see what the hackers themselves recommend for security. Many using software firewalls use Black Ice. If you want to invest extra, you can get a hardware firewall and set up even more robust security.

If someone is specifically trying to hack your machine, the little zit-laden moron using his script kiddie programs will give up quickly if he finds you are using a firewall. This kind of reminds of that statistic in how most cars that get stolen were unlocked. Many computers that get hacked are hacked partly as a fault of the user not "locking the doors".

Canning Win9x and going with WinNT/2000/XP Pro would be another good move. But when using those operating systems, you do need to do your homework and go through the effort of setting your permissions (which can be done down to specific folders and files, which Win9.x/ME cannot do at all).

John Moriarty
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for John Moriarty   Email John Moriarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using BlackIce since september and it comes stongly recomended. The feature set seems to grow with every update.

I get a list of all the potential threats it picks up, and it traces back to find out details of the source. It links to their website to explain what each type of attack is doing, and even tells you whether the OS (wink 2k in my case, also recomeded) or BlackIce blocked the attck. You can easily set up filters to block/allow certain types of connection. And it now prevents unauthorised software running and/or connecting to the network with minimal configuration required. It even noticed that I had upgraded windows explorer and asked me before letting it run again.

John

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 07:15 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zone Alarm went bonkers on me, and kept my blocking my DSL connection so I canned it and I'm using Tiny Software's Firewall. A+

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-20-2002 03:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Bobby about binning W9X and going for an NT-based version. In addition to setting permissions, it also allows you to store files on NTFS-formatted volumes in encrypted form. So even if a virus (e.g. Magistr, Badtrans) does cause your files to be emailed out to all and sundry, they will be unreadable on any other machine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: