Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone bored of showing EPII yet! I am

Author Topic: Anyone bored of showing EPII yet! I am
Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2002 02:50 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just st at work today and was thinking, i'm going to be showing this film 4/5 times a day for the next month, how many times can you watch the same bit without getting real pissed off with it! I run a 3 screen cinema and Screen 1 doubles as my office/chill out area, and as its the big THX one it's staying in here for the duration until Spiderman comes out. Can't take much more of the walls shaking around me whislt trying to do other work!!
come back Gosford park! lol
EPII good effects but after the first show you notice how grainy the live action is.
Darren

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do a presentation check at the chase scene through the city, then again at the part where yoda goes beserk. But only then because I like to hear the crowd laugh in shocked disbelief. No, I'm not bored with it.

I will say this though: There is something spectacular about hearing the intro fanfare from down the hall and knowing that there are a TON of people really enjoying themselves because of all of my hard work. Digital, film, like it, don't like it: It doesn't really matter in the end. When most movies let out, people squint at the sunlight and go about their day. When starwars lets out, people cheer or jeer, laugh, and jump around in mock light saber duels. Its these kinds of movies that i enjoy showing the most, though they may not be the deepest, most thought provoking, best scripted, acted, or choreographed. They're the movies that my community comes out in droves to witness. They put people in high spirits, and thats contagious.

-Adam

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 05:37 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren
4-5 times a day for a month that s nothing!
when we opened the IMAX theatre here in Bradford we ran the same film ( To Fly) up to 7 times a day for 18 months!!!!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-19-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Adam. It doesn't make a bit of difference whether this movie is "any good" by normal standards. It's fun and people are having a good time with it. And sold-out shows help keep theater staff on their toes to do "film done right". All of this is a good thing for movies in general.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2002 05:22 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about if feels good to show such a huge film and see the audience go away happy and to see they enjoyed it. I give every film the same respect in presentation quality, meaning nothing short of 100% will make me happy.
Dick,
To Fly is a classic Imax film , i remember seeing it at your spot just after you opened and the opening shot of the ballon going to full screen is amazing and sticks in my memory of what imax is all about.
I think Im a bit more of a Nazi about the presntation of EPII as my staff will probably agree, just worried that someone will make a cock up on lacing and scratch it!
Im probably been harsh about EPII but and do agree with Adam about the something spectacular about the fanfare's etc, i'd rather be Dick in the Imax watching To FLy at times though.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-22-2002 12:59 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't give a flying frogleap what the title of the film is. It's all strips of transparent plastic to me. It's not my job to review the darned thing. I'm only getting paid to run it.

It's only natural to be interested in the newest and hottest movies. It's only natural that you' ll spend some time watching it out the booth window. Not that you're getting bored running the film, maybe that's a good thing. The fun is over for you, now, and it's time to put your mind where you know it belongs... on the projector.

My moment of clarity came a few years ago when all the other guys in the booth were down at the other end of the hall, "working" on the movie The Nutty Professor while I was stuck all by myself building up Moll Flanders. I was pissed off, to say the least!
I took my consolation in the fact that their movie was full of bad splices and scratches while mine was PER-freakin'-FECT!

It was that day that I started to put the movie watching aside until my shift was over and I would go get a ticket.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: