Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Evils of Motorcycles

Author Topic: Evils of Motorcycles
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-20-2002 01:04 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday after a short afternoon cycle ride I stopped at a supermarket on the way home. Walking across the parking lot I noticed a woman near the door glaring at me. When I got close enough she pointed a finger at me and said "You are going to Hell", I said I didn't doubt it but asked on what she based her statement. She said that motorcycles are the work of Satan and that all who rode or associated with those who ride are damned and are going to Hell as a result and that staying away from these evil machines for long enough might gain one redemption from past association. She stormed to her car and left. Better sell 'em folks, the might be right!

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 04:06 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a similar reaction in the far North of Scotland, twice in fact. Once on a Triumph, and once when I had sat myself in the back garden of the house we had rented and strummed a few chords on me guitar. It was a Sunday morning, and in some parts of the far North, the Sabbath is held very sacred indeed. People don't cook, watch tv or listen to radio, they don't read anything excpet the bible, and as for playing a musical instrument, WOOAHH!!

Some people are so unbelievably small minded.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-20-2002 04:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would this be on Harris or Lewis, perhaps? I gather that on Sundays they even chain up the swings in the kiddies' playgrounds on those islands. A friend from my student days who is now a GP in the Western Isles recently sent me a photo of Stornoway which seemed pretty touristy and innocuous - until she explained that a poster containing the slogan 'Drink is the Urine of the Devil' outside a church had been discretely removed courtesy of Adobe Photoshop.

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 01:57 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been riding motorcycles for 25 years and have run into my share of that arrogant "I'm Better Than You Because I Sit in Church an Hour a Week," crap. When they predict my eturnal residence, I usually respond with, "See ya there." The fact is, gas ain't getting cheaper and parking isn't getting easier to find. The self-rightous don't seem to think that their "God-given right" to hog the road and natural resources with their SUV might be contibuting to the degradation of the quailty of their children's enviornment and might even be financing the terrorists(!). My big Harley gets 50 mpg if I set the cruise control and I can share parking spots with up to 6 other bikes. I'm not going to be surprised if we start seeing more motorcycles on our roads.

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 02:47 PM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before we start pidgeonholing all Christians again on this website please allow me to point out that the preacher I work for drives a large Kawasaki with a custom paint job and attends biker week every year. Thank you.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 04:55 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, you don't have to leave the mainland to encounter the 'wee frees'! Inverness-shire is like that in parts.

Harry, as far as I am concerned, each to their own, I just get upset when someone trys to shove their lifestyle down my throat. The minister at our local church, (which I don't attent and have no intentions of so doing) has been seen on a Norton Comando which I am told belonged to his father.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-24-2002 05:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this must be quite a problem for the tourist industry in these parts. After all, Scotland is heavily promoted as a tourist destination. It can't do that industry any good if people come along, pay good money to rent a self-catering cottage for a fortnight or so and then get lynched for sitting in the garden and playing a guitar!

I sometimes feel that an appointment with the wicker man would be the best solution for religous and/or political extremists of all kinds who feel they have the right to dictate how non-believers live their lives. Tolerance, after all, is a two-way street.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're pretty well on the mark Leo, although most of the areas where the wierdies reside aren't going to be high on any tourists list of places to see!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2002 12:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I live in Salt Lake City where relegion reigns but so do motorcycles. Never had that happen here when on my bike but I suppose I'd seize the momnent as much as possible.......
Mark @ GTS

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 12:53 AM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
considering how this topic is about the evils of motorcycles, and money is considered to be the "root of all evil"...

How much should one expect to pay for a decent motorcycle nowadays?

My Ford Exploder is great for supply runs, but I'm definately open to other forms of high speed transportation, especially those that consume significantly less fuel. (the bicycle doesn't count... not fast enough)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't buy a motorcycle just for the fuel mileage. Unless it's a 250 or less there are cars that can equal many bikes. If its fun you want with mid 30s to mid 50 mpg it's a different story. Why is it that a nearly 2000 pound car with a 2 liter engine and ac can get the same fuel mileage as a motorcycle weighing less than half as much with an engine half the size with both engines making similar power? Is it frontal area? Any ideas? Bike engines seem more efficient.(power produced for a given displacement)

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nice new Jap bike (Yamaha) will run you about 5000-7000 for a 650/750cc. A 600 R6 Sportbike will run in the 7500 range will do 0-60 faster than a Dodge Viper and runs about 170mph. A nice used bike can be had for about $2000-4000. I was a motorcycle mechanic for a Yamaha dealership for a few years.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is such judgmental behavior seems to be on the decline -- at least in my experience. I think this is due to the world of motorcycling becoming more and more mainstream. It used to be when I rode down the highway any cop that pulled in next to me was going to pull me over and ck my bike's numbers. Now, they usually pull up next to me and wave. Last time I was pulled over, the cop started with, “Are you in a hurry?”
“No. And I don’t think I was speeding.”
“No, you weren’t. But I have a ’74 FLH and I was wondering . . . .”
One day you wake-up, and you're trendy.

Most motorcycle events have representation from the Christian camp, Clean and Sober camp, and many other "non-threatening" associations. Used to be you could pick the Harley riders out of the crowd – they tended to be less “civilized.” Which, granted, tends to apply to myself. But last time I went to my dentist, a small Asian woman who’d you’d never expect to see on a bike, she told me all about riding to Vegas for “The Art of the Motorcycle” exhibit. Ya never know.

As Bill said, mileage should not be the only factor in buying a bike. But, any car that gets the same mileage as my FLHT will be awfully small for my 6’3” 250 pound frame. So, if I just have to transport my big ass around, the bike it is – and comfortable she is. I actually do most of my commuting on a Schwinn.

If I were to guess why a car with the same size engine as a bike can achieve the same mph, I’d guess it’s the efficiency of the engine. My Harley spends a lot of it’s fuel making vibration, heat and noise (a Harley exhaust must be very restricted to be as quiet as a car) – and the first time you hit a major side-wind, you’ll discover she ain’t all that aerodynamic. A car engine is balanced by the additional cylinders (making them more efficient) -- water cooling adds weight, but it kills a lot of engine noise (less exhaust restriction). Plus, when I drive my wife’s 35 mpg Subaru, I’m not running it through the gears just to hear that mighty four-cylinder roar: you have less of a reason to be running a car hard.

As far as what to pay: depends on what you want. Japanese motorcycles are cheap and lose their value quickly after the sale. But, they can be less finicky and not as likely to get stolen or messed with. A good used Japanese bike will run about $3k. American motorcycles hold their value very well, but cost a lot more to get into. European motorcycles seem to fall between.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: