Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is an Engineering Degree worth it? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is an Engineering Degree worth it?
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 12:03 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently going for an A.S. in Electronic Engineering Technology, so that I can be a booth tech. The way the program works is I have the option, if I choose, to continue on after I get my A.S. to get a B.S. in Electronic Engineering. Will a B.S.E.E. help in the cinema industry? I really want to be a booth tech, but are there jobs available at equipment manufacturers that would pay significantly better if I had the B.S.?? (Or are there companies that pay their booth techs better if they have the B.S.?)

I really am tired of school, and originally had no desire to get the B.S. I would, however, consider it if the pay were much greater. Like I said, I want to stay in the cinema industry.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-23-2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the future, and where the money is to be made. That should give you a clue as what the answer is.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 03:33 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

I am in the same boat that you are in.

I just completed my A.A.S. in Machine Tool Technology (C.N.C. Machinists Option) and am having difficulty finding work because of our current economy--and there are many skilled machinists with my predictiment...(thanks to Reagan sending our jobs overseas many years ago!)

I am currently working on my B.S. in Manufacturing Engineering Technology.

While jobs are currently scarce for machinists, I have noticed that experienced engineers are in high demand w/excellent salaries!

Always pursue your education, especially in todays high competition job market.

I have personally seen some of the most experienced Tool and Die/Mold Makers laid off of excellent jobs simply because they did not have a college degree!

A degree is definately worth it...even if it is in "Underwater Basket Weaving"! It just shows an employeer that you have the ability to "self-improve"...if nothing else!

To be a cinema-tech, I have found out that electronics background is VERY IMPORTANT!

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I don't know how similar these are to the US degree programs but I'm currently doing an MEng in electronic engineering, and even though not always completely relevent (although of high value to many expanding industries) interests in the film industry, I have found that prospective employers do give such qualifications quite a high level of regard when making considerations of applicants, so I'd say stick with it - in the end you could certainly be doing something a lot worse!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is an Engineering Degree worth it?
Yes by all means.
I believe that beyond teaching you what to think it also teaches you how to think. Or, along what lines to think. Tuning your mind to think along abstract lines can be incredibly important. Higher mathmatics psychology, philosophy, art...even though you might think they are things you will never use, infecting your brain with these concepts, will pay off. Really
Stay with it. Go for it.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a "Communications Degree"?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-23-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general, having a degree -- ANY legit degree -- is going to work in your favor for employment. HOWEVER, I don't have a degree, not even a 2-year one, and I've never had trouble getting good jobs or making good money. Attitude and a good work ethic can help overcome the lack of a degree. I just started working for the University of Oregon, and I don't got no stinkin' degree! (Of course there are cerain occupations where a degree is mandatory)

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-23-2002 08:03 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, The degree is worth it's weight in "Gold". Not only, is it worth it but you will become better for it. In today's world, with the human resource mentality the degree will get you in the door. What you do with it is completely up to you. However let me extend to you this advise:

"Learn as though you will live forever.
Live as though you will die tomorrow."

I heard this when I was a freshmen in high school and I have alway's used this statement as a guide.

You only have one life - Do with it what you will..just remember "to thine own self be true". Shakespeare.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To be a cinema-tech, I have found out that electronics background is VERY IMPORTANT!

I agree, and the A.S.E.E.T. will satisfy that. Remember, I want to work in the cinema industry. For me, being a projectionists isn't just a part-time job until I finish school. It is the beginning of a career. So what can the B.S. do for me in this field? I'm grateful for your input.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

David Koegel
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 09:04 PM      Profile for David Koegel   Email David Koegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken -- As I often tell my friends when they are thinking of changing career paths, you can either have a job you like and not make a lot of money or you can have a job that pays well but one you may not like. I know few people that get the best of both worlds.

I've got a BS in Chemical Engineering (hated getting that degree) and a MS in Materials Science Engineering (with a focus on semiconducting materials -- loved getting that degree!). What am I doing now? I push papers, not designing refineries nor working a semiconductor processing line. I don't hate my job, but I don't love it either. However, I do get paid pretty well, and that's what pays for the many joys in my life.

Your earning potential with a BS EE is multiples of what you will be making without it. And it's a tough degree, which is why EE majors are at the top of the engineering pay scale. Even if you don't use that degree, you'll have it in your back pocket ... just in case. If you can do it, I suggest that you don't let this opportunity pass you by. The chance that you'll want to or will be able to pick up that degree later on in life is pretty darn small.

And if you end up hating electrical engineering once you get your degree, as others said it is proof of your capabilities ... beyond the subject of the degree.

I admire anyone that can get an EE degree -- it's a tough one.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 10:30 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken....

If you are young enough, here is a suggestion for you....and it comes from personal experience...

Try out for ROTC, active duty or the Reserves! The USAF has the best living conditions of all the branches of the US Armed Forces....been there, done that....but the USAF is HIGHLY political!!!!!

You can go in for 4 years and get your G.I. Bill. While on active duty, they also pay for 75% of your tuition over and above the G.I. Bill...

If you don't like active duty, then transfer to the Reserves....EXCELLENT FRINGE BENEFITS, and retirement to boot!!!!

If you have any questions about USAF life, then e-mail me and ask and I will answer...

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 12:22 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

To be honest, I don't know what I would be doing now if I wasn't in school. Also, I don't know what I'll be doing once I get out (less than two years). I want to stay with the cinema industry, like you, and am self-assured that an EE and a CE degree from the University of Florida will help me do that. With almost full-time work and full-time school it is sometimes a pain to get through it all. I know that it is necessary though, and that is what keeps me going. I'm 19 now and look forward to moving on with my life but I think there will come a time when even an undergrad degree won't be enough--which is why I'd like to stay in school until I complete my Master's in Electrical Engineering. Industry seems to like engineers from UF--you're in Florida now, and should definitely consider the UF Engingeering College (its a top notch school) if you want a BS. We've got a theatre (Regal) here and it would be great to have another film-techer on staff. Let me know what you decided because I'm interested in knowing.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-24-2002 01:34 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two good friends who are engineers, one electrical the other mechanical have found no problem getting good well paying jobs. The difficulty is that many companies hire engineers to design and follow thru projects and then lay them off. Project seem to last between 8 mo. and 3 years. The firms don't want to pay the salaries between design contracts. Talented people mean nothing to employers today.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-24-2002 02:44 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Gonzalez asks (sarcastically, I get the impression) - 'What about a communications degree?'

Newer degree programmes in humanities - communications studies, media studies, film studies - tend to get draw a lot of flak from traditionalists who think they're academically lightweight (i.e. you get a degree by watching TV for three years), and by professionals in related industries finding themselves dealing with graduates coming off these courses who believe they have a vocational qualification but in fact have not been given a chance to develop the skills and experiences they need.

There is some truth to this. For the last 10 decades it has been government policy to increase the number of school leavers going into higher education as much as possible. This has lead to a huge increase in the capacity of the system, some of it in mickey mouse degree programmes that you can get into with very weak school qualifications and which have woeful umemployment figures for their graduates. One politician on the radio last night said that 'even a degree in media studies from the University of Neasden' [Neasden is a poorer suburb of north London, and has no university] is better than no higher education at all.

However, I don't agree that the academic study of media and communication is wrong per se just because many of these degrees are not a direct preparation for employment in a specific industry. One telling statistic I saw recently was that in the UK, 8% of graduates in media studies (and related subjects) ended up making their living in the broadcast, print journalism, film and Internet industries, compared to 0.002% of graduates in English literature who ended up making a living by writing published fiction. So by that criterion we should get rid of literature degrees first, and there aren't many people calling for that.

The bottom line is that higher education in science and engineering consists of specific programmes of training for specific jobs; the kind of job where the training is most effectively delivered through a structured programme of education. Humanities subjects teach you more generic skills - forming an argument, structuring a piece of writing, research techniques, time management, organising yourself, working under pressure (e.g. through written exams and the process of preparing for them). All of these are transferable skills which can be and are used in workplace situations which contribute directly to the economy. It's just a different way of organising the education and training process.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 03:25 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post, Leo.

Take it from someone who has completed an arts degree. While it is difficult to find employment in an area where I can 'use' what I studied, the degree itself shows - at the very least - that I have persistence and that I can complete something over several years.

At the same time, I now find myself interested in areas of employment for which it will prove invaluable, and without which I would be even more limited in my options than what I am now (and I am somewhat limited, although not in too many areas that would really entice me anyway (he says begrudgingly!)).

So my advice is: do it, and choose a course which leads into an area that is most likely to *genuinely* interest you. The worst thing that you can get out of a degree is that you learn something you won't use in daily life (there are worse tragedies).

As an aside, I have many friends that are in a similar position to me now (graduates of arts degrees or soon to be) and are now finding themselves working in theatres/cafes/department stores/whatever but, like myself, cannot see themselves becoming engineers/doctors/lawyers/IT people. These things are not for everyone. To these types of people I would still recommend an arts/comm degree. Why? Because it makes a contribution to your life in a cultural way. Not everything can be measured with money (although the degree itself must be paid for!).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: