Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Who wants to annoy a Star Wars Fan???

Author Topic: Who wants to annoy a Star Wars Fan???
Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody emailed this to me. I figure somebody in a theater somewhere can use a few of these little tricks to some of the die hard fans

When someone starts going on about the life-changing role the Star Wars movies have played in their developmental years, casually announce that you've never seen any of them, but hear they are "pretty good."

Get important terminology wrong -- this drives the true fanatic nuts! Confuse Wookies with "Winkies"; call Yoda "Yodel"; refer to Return of the Jedi as Revenge of the Jedi, Phantom Menace as Planet Menace, and Attack of the Clones as Send in the Clowns. Get very annoyed when corrected.

Get the names of the key characters wrong, or better still -- forget them. "You remember the guy from these movies, you know, the one with the plastic head and the respiratory problem?" or "Oh, yeah, Ben-Wa Kenubi, my favorite, played by that English bloke. Wassisname. Sounds like a beer or something." Insist that The Empire Strikes Back is the only worthwhile Star Wars movie because it is "sooo dark."
Deliberately confuse science-fiction universes and inhabitants. Double fun and satisfaction as this offends two sets of rabid Nerdocracies at the same time. For example, insist that Luke Gripewater is fighting for "The Federation" and that Chewbaccy is a Vulcan. Insist that "to boldly go where no man has gone before" is a Jedi commandment. Brush off any attempt at correction with a dismissive "whatever. As if anybody really cares."

Make vaguely unsettling insinuations about George Lucas. Try "isn't he involved in some sort of DNA-cloning controversy?" or "I hear he only talks to his mother via a TV monitor," or "I read this piece where he said Star Wars was written for people who hate sex." Insist that there is a "latent homo-erotic subtext" to the Han Solo/Luke Skystalker relationship and you are uncomfortable with Lucas' "non-critical, neo-Nazi aesthetic." When asked what you are talking about, roll your eyes and refer to the "blatant homage to Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will" at the end of the first movie, then add, "Don't tell me you didn't notice?"

When some sad sack describes the insane lengths he went to for Attack of the Clondes -- camping out on the street, taking time off work, neglecting loved ones, not bathing and so on, respond by saying someone "in the business" gave you a couple of free tickets to the official opening, but you lost them and add, "Funny, that's the first time I thought about it." When they just won't shut up about how it's the most spectacular movie event of all time and how you would have to be a moron not to dedicate every waking moment to it, simply say, "Yeah, my little sister and her little friends get a kick out of it all. You know how it is with these pop space movies."
The ultimate is to play stupid that the movie was even a big event. "Attack of the Clones? Yeah, I heard something about that in the local newspaper. Something about the guy that made the first four is going at it again or something? Dunno ... "

When someone is sitting there theorizing about how there's probably secret messages and things you can see if you look closely in the movie, just calmly sit there and say in a whisper, "Then I guess you haven't played it backwards in a VCR before?" Try not to laugh as the person (attempting to look calm and collected) slowly gets up, starts walking out of sight, then see him bolt down the street towards their house to try it. Depending on how avid of a fan the person is, look for the smoke trail.

To make the last suggestion even more fun, wait for them to call back after they have gone through the whole movie backwards and couldn't find anything in Phantom Menace. Tell them, "Oh, that's right, it was in one of the other three episodes." When they tell you the lengths they went through and the sleepless nights spent trying to get a pirated copy before everyone got to see it in the theater, tell them, "That's funny, I simply called the 1-800 number that was all over the Internet and got it mailed to me the same day, three weeks before the movie came out."

~ Author Unknown

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 06:10 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, like Leo Laporte did on Screensavers, call it Star TREK.

Fingernails on a chalkboard.

David Rowley
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for David Rowley   Email David Rowley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing bugs a Star Wars fan more than confusing Star Wars and Star Trek. Whenever you meet a Star Wars fan, say something like "Star Wars? Isn't that the one with Captain Kirk? Boy, those tribbles sure were cute."

On a related note, Conan O'Brien's insult dog visits the Attack of the Clones lineup: www.northeastsprinkler.com/solf/misc/sw-triumph.wmv

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 02:18 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that one of the best ways to achieve this is to compare the 'Star Wars' movies to '2001: A Space Odyssey', pointing out that the special effects in '2001' are far better than the fairly cheesy effects in any of the Star Wars movies. Point out that '2001' was photographed in 70MM, whereas 35MM/video was used for SW movies, so that they can never look as good.

If they disagree that '2001' is superior on a technical level, casually mention that a guy called George Lucas actually said this himself (the quote is on some re-release posters for '2001').

------------------
'How about a movie? They're showing them in theatres now! I hear it's like watching a video with a bunch of strangers and a sticky floor.' - Xander Harris, from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to really have some fun?

Play the SW theme music LOUD over non-sync... about 5-10 minutes before the posted start time of Episode II.

Watch the fan boys RUN down the hall to the auditorium!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 11:27 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can tick off some fans by pointing out the unoriginality of the movies. The tie fighter sequence in the original was a rip off of the fighter attack in Midway, which was a rip off of an earlier film, ad nauseum...

John William's themes are partly ripped off from Holst's "The Planets"

Sandpeople are ripped off from "Dune"

Chewie bears similarities to the Cowardly Lion, C3PO to the Tin Man, and R2-D2 to a shop vac.

The list goes on and on.

David Rowley
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for David Rowley   Email David Rowley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can tick off some fans by pointing out the unoriginality of the movies.

Is there anything truly original anymore? Everything seems to be a rip off of something else...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 01:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
change the marque to read "star what"

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 10:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ask them questions like:

What are light sabers' blades made out of? Light, correct?
Well, if light has nearly no mass, then howcum lightsabers seem to have physics? (Mass & intertia)
Wouldn't the act of using a light saber to, say, chop off somebody's arm be more like shining a flashlight on them?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2002 10:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty funny, but be forewarned it is 17 megs and in Windows Media format.
http://www.northeastsprinkler.com/solf/misc/sw-triumph.wmv

I have also put the file here if their server cannot connect.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-27-2002 10:48 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
finally, truth in broadcasting

Josh

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry said:
"John William's themes are partly ripped off from Holst's 'The Planets'"

...So I'm not the only person who has noticed that!

But take a good listen to the score to 'the Gladiator' - Hans Zimmer did a bit more of a rip-off...

*n.b.* I'm not truly complaining, I honestly enjoy listening to the scores from the Star Wars films & 'the Gladiator', and I am happy that I have Holst's 'the Planets' on disc also.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-27-2002 07:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always like how "grand Canyon suite and Ode to a common man" keep showing up

James Morton
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for James Morton   Email James Morton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote the forgotten scene from Episode V: The extra special edition...

Bespin Gantry: A furious lightsaber duel is underway.

Darth Vader is backing Luke Skywalker towards the end of the gantry. A quick move by Vader, chops off Luke's hand! It goes spinning off into the ventilation shaft. Luke backs away. He looks around, but realizes there's nowhere to go but straight down.

Vader: Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father.

Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!

Vader: No... I am your father!

Luke: No, it's not true! It's impossible.

Vader: Search your feelings... you know it to be true...

Luke: NO!

Vader: Yes, it is true... and you know what else? You know that brass droid of yours?

Luke: Threepio?

Vader: Yes... Threepio... I built him... when I was 7 years old...

Luke: No...

Vader: Seven years old! And what have you done? Look at yourself, no hand, no job, and couldn't even levitate your own ship out of the swamp...

Luke: I destroyed your precious Death Star!

Vader: When you were 20! When I was 10, I single-handedly destroyed a Trade Federation Droid Control ship!

Luke: Well, it's not my fault...

Vader: Oh, here we go... "Poor me... my father never gave me what I wanted for my birthday... boohoo, my daddy's the Dark Lord of the Sith...waahhh wahhh!"

Luke: Shut up...

Vader: You're a slacker! By the time I was you're age, I had exterminated the Jedi knights!

Luke: I used to race my T-16 through Beggar's Canyon

Vader: Oh, for the love of the Emperor... 10 years old, winner of the Boonta Eve Open... Only human to ever fly a Pod Racer... right here baby!

Luke looks down the shaft. Takes a step towards it.

Vader: I was wrong... You're not my kid... I don't know whose you are, but you sure ain't mine...

Luke takes a step off the platform, hesitates, then plunges down the shaft Darth Vader looks after him.

Vader: Get a haircut!

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...At least luke got a better mechanical hand than anakin. Jeeze, that gold monstrous thing must weigh a ton!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: