Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What do you like most about the mornings? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What do you like most about the mornings?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, folks. Counter thread. I'm a morning person. Guess it comes from the 31 years I taught High school. I just can't sleep past 6:00AM. Put in a long day when Star Wars opened (including midnight show) and was still up early.

Actually, I find this a benefit. I leave the late runs to the young turks, for the most part. I like to get in early while the place is quiet, and I get a ton of work done- mainly maintenance and recordkeeping. No phones ringing and no people to bother me. My least productive time starts around noon.

I'll generally work a busy Friday or Saturday night and let one of the operators close. Still love those mornings for productivity.

Anyone on this side of the fence?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-26-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I usually like best about the mornings is that I am asleep!

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 04:15 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Joe. The morning is sleepy time. My most productive hours are between eleven pm and three am. But thats learned from 4 years of architecture school and has carried over.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-26-2002 05:35 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going out for a run before the sun is up is pretty cool, I've done it a few times, but I dont think I would make a habbit out of it.

JJ

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COFFEE

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-26-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I love sitting outside on my deck at my hillside house at dawn and watching the sun rise over Hollywood. It always inspires me and reminds me of how lucky I am.

I feel the same way watching the sunsets.

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2002 09:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please share your tip John. For me the later in the day, the more productive I am. If I am working on something before noon, you can bet it will take me twice as long to get the task completed. If I start in the evening or even after midnight, I'll have it done with incredible speed. I just focus better after I've been awake to the world for awhile. So what's that tip you have?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that morning is the best time of day. Only problem is: I am usually too sleepy to enjoy it. I would bet most people who are projectionists are the same since staying up late is a requirement for the job.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-27-2002 12:29 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shower.....Stand in it until the water gets cold. Then Coffee and more coffee...

Mornings are totally useless to me. I don't even like doing anything until the clock strikes noon. But then again, it is my own fault. I don't get to sleep until sometimes 0200 in the morning because I am sitting in front of this damn computer.

I am a night person.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 01:14 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mornings start at 11:00 AM right?

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-27-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am another night person and am like Brad in that respect. Can't do anything productive before noon, but can stay up until 4:30 or so and just keep going. (Drives my wife nuts.)

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 04:38 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say nights are much much better. I do my best of anything between 3 p.m. and 3 a.m. I would believe most theatre people, the ones who really work at them, have a tendency to be night owls.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Not a morning person" only scratches the surface!

Sunrise = my bedtime!

Heh, and when I wake up, I tend to be in full "zombie-mode", and remain that way for up to 4 hours! And in general, I am more productive after sunset. I practically keep vampire hours.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

I don't really have a tip. You are either a morning person, or you're not. I think my biological clock set itself many years ago when the High School I was teaching at went to double sessions. Since I was a coach, I was always assigned to the morning session, which ment I had to be in at 6:30AM with my first class at 7:00. Even after double sessions ended, the school day started at 7:30AM, so I've always been an early riser. When I was younger, I worked several nights each week as a relief projectionist/manager as well.

Now that I'm retired from teaching and working at the theater full-time, the early riser habit just stayed with me. Since I do the operator schedules, I usually work the matinees and stay away from the late night work for the most part. However, I do occasionally pay a surprise late night visit, just to make sure everything is running okay.

I can appreciate night owls. I was one when I worked the summer houses (again, many years ago). I have a couple of night owls who work for me and they do a great job, especially on those godawful nights that we have late shows.

James Morton
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for James Morton   Email James Morton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sitting down in lectures (cold damp and exhausted... see 'what do you hate most about mornings?' thread for details) and having one person say that they enjoyed the film I projected the night before.

Makes it all seem worthwhile somehow...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: