Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I wonder if there is going to be any backlash to the A-Bomb scene in Sum of All Fears

Author Topic: I wonder if there is going to be any backlash to the A-Bomb scene in Sum of All Fears
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beyond editorials in the Newspapers, I was wondering if any customers are coming out of the movie with a bad taste in their mouths? Anybody in these forums feel that it is too soon to show something like this? I personaly think that since it is basically written in the book as such, that it would be a bigger deal to change the story baised on current events.

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Backlash? The Sum of All Fears happens to have incredible timing!

Paramount decided before the WTC went down to release the movie this summer. Not only that, India and Pakistan have renewed hostilities to the point where there could be a nuclear war.

Because of the timely storyline, The Sum of All Fears is getting a saturation release and is projected to top the box office this weekend -- beating out Star Wars Episode 2.

As for the newspapers? I wouldn't worry about them. They're too busy running pictures from the WTC while the Bush Gang turns the FBI into a homegrown Gestapo.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 09:35 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, Charles, like the FBI was some squeaky clean organization until Bush came along. Try taking a history lesson. Why don't you not try to take every opportunity available to spew your liberal views. Start a new thread if you want to do that.

Back to the actual topic, we didn't open that movie, but everyone's going to have their own opinion as to when is too soon, and it's impossible to keep everyone happy, so I figure if they're following a book, fine. Although, books are frequently changed when made into movies to try and be more PC.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 11:40 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the a-bomb scene would have been shocking regardless of timing. I felt the same way watching those dream sequences in Terminator 2 that I felt last night watching Sum of All Fears. Its just realistic visuals.

What I found as bad timing though was the scene of the helicopter rolling down the hillside after the explosion and the pilot hanging out the door. This was the EXACT same image that I saw on CNN earlier that night of the BlackHawk helicopter that crashed on Mt. Hood in Oregon.

-Adam

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-01-2002 01:29 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on, don't you know that Charles doesn't have access to real news and or facts? It's not that he is trying to spew a so called liberal view, it's just that he has such a warped and skewered view of reality that I would really pay to see a movie based on what the hell is in his brain.

Dave

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 02:50 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didnt Jennifer Lopez already do that movie?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-01-2002 11:47 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[quote]I think the a-bomb scene would have been shocking regardless of timing. I felt the same way watching those dream sequences in Terminator 2 that I felt last night watching Sum of All Fears. Its just realistic visuals. [\quote]

I'd rather see that kind of reaction from the audience than the type we usually see when someone gets killed, injured or whatever.... usually people crack up laughing. (Younger people are the worst.)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-01-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>> I would really pay to see a movie based on what the hell is in his brain.<<

I'd like to get Charles E. and Richard W. Haines from 'that other 35mm website' together for a debate. THAT I would pay any price to see!!!! Who needs nuclear weapons with an explosive combination like this?

oh, yeah, btw: Richard would win, hands down...

-Aaron

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2002 11:02 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the timely storyline, The Sum of All Fears is getting a saturation release and is projected to top the box office this weekend -- beating out Star Wars Episode 2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/articles/news/?id=020602bor.htm

Wouldn't have guessed it but.........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: