Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Weird lamp (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Weird lamp
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2002 12:18 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone identify what this lamp is? The only identification is the voltage of 6.3, and a "14". I tried to find something on it so I could order some, but for some reason I cannot get on Chicago Miniature's website. This is a meter panel light from an Audio Technica Mixing Console, and Audio Technica says the lamps are no longer available via their company. So, they sent me 4 new meters for 2 bucks each! Now that was a good deal. But there is nothing wrong with the old meters, other than the lamps are burned out.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like an automotive dome "fuse-lamp". I've seen these also used on dollar bill acceptors on vending machines.
Try the helpful folks at www.topbulb.com

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 06:46 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try www.bulbdirect.com. I have had great success getting oddball threading lamps, exciter lamps, etc., from them.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I don't think it's the exact same lamp, but it looks very much similar to the Kinoton framing lamps. Does it plug into a socket similar to the way a glass tube fuse does?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2002 09:23 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, yes it does. Here is the actual application:

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 09:45 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Looks just like the ceiling dome light on the older VW Beetles
that used a 6V storage battery. You might try an auto parts store or the J.C.Whitney (Chicago) CO., which has a Beetle catalog free.
The socket wasn't like that for clip-in tube fuses, but had two
cone-shaped brass spring clips that held the pointed ends.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2002 09:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard, I saw one of those.....but it didn't look like it would fit correctly. So I sent a pic to Brad to show how the socket holds the bulb.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 10:44 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly looks like a Kinoton framing lamp. If so, Bulbs Direct can supply them. I bought six last year.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-21-2002 03:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, the picture is posted about how the lamp mounts in the meter. Is this the same as Kinoton's method of mounting their framing lamp?

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 06:08 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Looks just like the ceiling dome light on the older VW Beetles
that used a 6V storage battery. You might try an auto parts store or the J.C.Whitney (Chicago) CO., which has a Beetle catalog free.
The socket wasn't like that for clip-in tube fuses, but had two
cone-shaped brass spring clips that held the pointed ends.

The PPM meters in my television working days used the same bulb fitting clips that Gerard described, so maybe they are multi-purpose!

Think I would be inclined to try and replace with a bright white LED mini type bulb.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 11:26 AM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, while the panel meter lamp looks a lot like a Kinoton framing lamp, the mounting is not the same. The framing lamp mounts to a "fuse holder" sort of device, a phenolic base with two spring clips into which the lamp is pressed like a glass fuse.

However, the lamps I got from Bulb Direct do have the "pointy" ends, though not as pronounced as those on the lamp you photographed. E-mail me your address and I'll mail you one to try.

I agree with the practicality of replacing the incandescent lamp with an LED device, but for the life of me I can't think of where to find an LED replacement lamp in that shape.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-22-2002 12:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple make it
get a peice of the PCB perf board from radioshack that is the length of the lamp with the busses running the length and solder severl mini led's to it remember to add a current limiting resitor in serries and solder it inot the meter

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-22-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to keep these meters as orginal as possible. I don't think Audio Technica has any more. The console I have is at least 20 years old.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-22-2002 01:55 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I remember those bulbs being used in the meters on Tascam (a.k.a. trashcan) 4-track reel-to-reel recorders--we had one in the rack at the Caesars Palace Omnimax. Also I think the older Yamaha mix consoles (PM-2000) used those meter bulbs (soldered in). Just a thought as salvage sources...

Paul

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-02-2002 06:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon B, I picked up the bulb you sent. Unfortunately, the US Post Office ran over it with a steam roller, and it smashed the bulb to smithereens. Although there was enough of it there, it didn't look like it would fit in the meter very well.

But I do want to thank you for your time and effort to help.

Much appreciated.
Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: