Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Thanks Bill, hope to see ya somewhere soon

Author Topic: Thanks Bill, hope to see ya somewhere soon
Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if any of you other night owls watched 'Politically Incorrect' regularly, or irregularly, but this is the last week for the show. If you didn't watch, you missed out on a one-of-a-kind program. I am personally very disappointed to see it go, as it was the only show of its kind featuring a casual opinion format with people from a variety of fame. In one sense, I understand ABC's decision to cancel, if it was due to lack of sponsorship. However, I believe it was due more to the comments made about the terrorists, which flies in the face of the freedom of speech our media is supposed to promote.

I can only hope that another station will pick up the 'Politically Incorrect' show soon, and allow its variety of people and topics to continue. Agree or disagree, you can learn a lot from a show like that.

p.s. If you are unfamiliar with the comments I refer to, they came following Sept. 11th. Bill Maar was discussing the word 'coward' being used by many to describe the terrorists. He responded by saying something like, "Flying planes into buildings is not cowardly. Cowardly is shooting missles at people from 100 miles off shore like we do". As a side note, Bill has always been a very large supporter of our military, and apologized several times for how the comment was taken.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2002 07:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a show I don't mind seeing go. A bunch of airtime-hogging celebs spouting off about topics they often knew nothing about, just so they could attempt to look intelligent. Good riddance.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should have never left Comedy Central. ABC ruins every potentially good show they get their hands on. Politically Incorrect, Clerks: The Cartoon, Heat Vision and Jack....

I never heard/saw the comments Bill Maar made, but I was thinking the same thing. And if people got offended by it, the title of the program should have been warning enough!

=TMP=

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2002 11:41 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I did not agree qith many of the opinions he stated on his show, I did enjoy watching it. He often had two intelligent people, along with the celebreties, that had differing opinions. It helped me keep up with some of the hot topics in the news and different people's opinions on them.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 12:13 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The host's comments following September 11 were only evidence of how full of himself he really is. When I first saw this program (about six years ago) I was impressed to see celebrities in "real" conversations rather than simply promoting their newest work. But the novelty wears off quickly. Millions of Americans realized (before September 11) that it's a show which generates "more heat than light." It would have been canceled even if September 11 hadn't happened and the host hadn't said something stupid about it.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the "coward" thing?

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 09:35 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, just for the record, the guy's name is Bill Maher, no relation to our martini drinking pal, Bob Maar.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 10:17 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg said, "It would have been canceled even if September 11 hadn't happened and the host hadn't said something stupid about it."

The show was always played late at night where you don't need much for advertising dollars to do well. The show was doing fine before the 11th.

Thanks for the correction Joe. I knew that too, and then I looked at Bob's name and it just came out wrong...

Thomas - How exactly did ABC ruin the show? It seems to me as if the format was quite similar, but the guest list was much, much, much larger. I think ABC made it better by drawing a larger audience and making a wider variety of celebs want to appear.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 08:35 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad - I never watched the show much after it left Comedy Central (around the time when my TV-watching became drastically reduced by other responsibilities) but ABC in general seems often be inconsistent with their schedule and program lineup. I lost track of when Millionare came on (four days a week or three? Which ones? Different times on different days?) and just stopped watching.

They also don't know a good show when they see one. They should have at least given Clerks: The Cartoon and Heat Vision & Jack a chance. Maybe the "controversial" tone of these shows prompted the Disney-owned network to pull the plug?

The worst, by far, is FOX. I don't know how many diferent time slots Family Guy had before they finally axed it. Futurama was much better than King Of The Hill but the dumber of the two shows remains. Even in the early seasons of The Simpsons, they moved from Sunday to Thursday and back a couple times.

That's why I love that TiVo commercial where they chuck the network executive out the window

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: