Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » JPG, BMP, and GIF File help needed

Author Topic: JPG, BMP, and GIF File help needed
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-15-2002 11:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one has me stumped. The owner of the radio station received three files that were zipped. Inside the zip file was three pictures.

They came as logo.jpg, font.jpg, and wildcard.jpg. When the zip file was opened, clicking on anyone of those pictures resulted in "cannot open bla bla bla" error. If the files were extracted and placed in a folder, the only thing that will display the picture is Microsoft's "Image Viewer" program, providing I rename the file extension to BMP. When I do that, the thumbnail picture will come up. Figuring I had the problem solved, I sent the picture back to the owner in a BMP format, and it came as a JPG attachment through his ISP. The pictures will not open on his computer.

Then I find that Paintbrush will not open it in any format. Any computer we try it on does exactly the same thing. How the hell did that change formats while being sent?

Incidently, this zip file and its contents were scanned for viruses, and it was clean. I have Windows ME on my machine, he has Windows 98 on his. The other computers we tried it on had Windows 2000 Professional, and another had Windows 95. They all did the same thing. Basically, nothing! Just for the heck of it, I tried the *.pub, and the *.pdf. No progress made.

Is there a oddball picture format that I don't know about? Could it have been a Mac format of some sort? I never had this one happen before....

Thanks - Paul

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-16-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a file extention for adobe photo delux. It is .PDD. THere could be a problem with your Quicktime viewer or for some reason your computer is not associating the file with the viewer. Jpeg is the standard format for sending pictures over the internet using emails. Your email program probably changed this automaticaly

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-16-2002 01:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any ISP that changes the extensions of an attached file is CRAP!!!! If it opened when you called it a "BMP" then it was probably a real BMP file. The sender should say in his e-mail message what each file is supposed to be named since the filename will likely be changed as he sends it.

What I don't understand is how the filename could be changed while it is INSIDE of a ZIP file! Maybe the sender just doesn't know exactly what he is doing? No matter what, I sense that something very evil and deadly is going on!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-16-2002 06:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, forward the zip file to me and I'll see if I can convert it.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-16-2002 09:03 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that some people who work with printers forget to convert their files from CMYK to RGB when they go to send them out to non-printing people. It's still a .jpg, but many graphics programs can't do CMYK, so they just give up. Photoshop will open a CMYK and you can also use it to convert to RBG and re-save.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-16-2002 01:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad. It'll come to you as fonts.zip

Paul

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-16-2002 05:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One way to get around the file format problem, provided the image is small enough in terms of pixels to fit on your screen (I've got a nice 1600 X 1200 window) you can capture the image as contents of the active window by hitting "alt+print screen". You can crop the "chrome" elements of the window's user interface off of the image in a program like Photoshop.

Normally, a credible graphics program will sniff out the correct format of a file if it doesn't even have an extension. I've had Mac users send me Macromedia Freehand files that have come in with no "dot-three" DOS style extension. I drag the file into Freehand's open window and the file opens up fine (provided they used the Mac-equivalent in terms of fonts I have on my PC, or converted them to outlines).

I agree it really sucks when an ISP or some other piece of software changes your file suffix or the file(s) itself into some other kind of format. Any ISP worth a damn should allow multiple attachments without converting it into MIME format. They should basically let you send exactly what you want to send provided it doesn't go past their bandwidth limits or include any malicious code like viruses.

I really have to say I've seen some funny things users do at times. Some people out there think if they simply rename a file suffix to something else the computer will automatically convert the image to that format. I'm not kidding. I've had people send me JPEG images with the suffix renamed to "CDR", "EPS" or "AI" thinking that alone would turn their bitmap image into a vector object. It is almost as funny for someone to simply embed a JPEG into a Freehand, Illustrator or CorelDRAW document thinking the same magical conversion will happen. "But it is a CorelDRAW file," they whine. And I say, "it still isn't vector and the vector digitizing fee will still cost you $50 per hour."

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2002 10:45 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this person use a browser? For example, in Netscape, select File:Open Page (Ctrl+O) and click on the "Choose File" button to open a file on the local drive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: