Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Neat thing to do during MIB 2 Credits

Author Topic: Neat thing to do during MIB 2 Credits
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 12:47 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was clicking through the channels during the credits of MIB 2 on the monitor and noticed that if you click it to the center channel while Will Smith is singing, you can hear just his voice with no background. He actually sounds pretty crappy without the added tracks. (Not that rap is any good in the first place). Is this typical for movies to have a voice only track on the center channel during vocal songs in the credits? This is the first time I tried it.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

|  IP: Logged

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 12:56 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that if you pull a Walkman headphone plug out just far enough, you can get the L-R signal sent through the headphones, which cancels out the lead vocal in the center of the stereo image.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 01:38 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "song" at the end of the first Men In Black was like that too. There's been several others too; I always kept the booth monitors on center-channel only so I always noticed that stuff.
The Britney Spears Pepsi trailer only had her reverbed vocals in the center, no musical accompaniment. I bought the "Britney: The Videos" DVD JUST to get that trailer and sadly they used a phony 5.1 mix that has almost no channel separation!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-18-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vocals in a center track? NO REALLY???

Try cutting the center track off, and then you don't have to listen to him at all.

To say he sounds crappy without all the added tracks, is only slightly silly. I am betting most everything sounds crappy if you only listen to the center channel. But to compare him to britney spears? Please, she sounds like crap even WITH all the added tracks.

That's what the center channel is for, the vocal tracks. This is nothing new. Yes you will hear many things other than vocals during the movie, but you will hear very few vocals in the other channels during the film. The center is your main station baybee... but it needs the other channels to move to the groove.

You want to hear some bad singers, try watching american idol.

Dave

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-18-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Twister" had only Eddie Van Halen's guitar in the center channel. Sounded pretty good by itself. Actually it was mroe enjoyable then it was with the rest of the mediocre instruments included with the very good sounding guitar.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dodge/Aerosmith trailer has just Steven Tyler's warped lyrics in the center channel. It's a shame his lips are so old that they have to use that kind of effect

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The voice of the girl who sing the Final Fantasy theme at the credits is wonderful, I did put the center channel at the end of every show just to hear that beautiful voice even I got the song in mp3 but is not like the original in the print.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-19-2002 02:24 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone heard it, but I certainly didn't have a problem hearing it...

...There was once a United Artists policy trailer (the one with the guy's head popping up in the popcorn bin) where the female "computer voice" says:

"No Talking" in the centre channel

and

"Blow me" in the surrounds.

I didn't believe it until a friend at the UA (across the street from our AMC) let me go in just to check it out one day. I couldn't believe it.

This trailer came out back in the mid-1990s.

I wonder how much more distinct this would be if heard on a booth monitor switched to surrounds.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-19-2002 02:31 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rap sucks.

During the credits, I turn down the damned booth monitor. I don't want to listen to that crap.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
That is what I think about rap too, was just doing a routine check of all the channels in the booth monitor and came across this.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: