Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Using Surround Speakers at Home (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Using Surround Speakers at Home
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-21-2002 04:06 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may decide to purchase some JBL-8330's or some EV surround speakers from a cinema that I'm upgrading to 8340's.

Any thoughts on whether I will run into trouble using the same model speaker in a home theatre for the main channels and also the surrounds?

In other words, are these speakers ill-suited for use as main channels? Are they unsuitable for home theatre application?

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 04:17 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking the same thing...For Surround speakers they shouldn't be a problem. I believe they are 8 Ohms so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-21-2002 04:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I know people who are using 8340s as left, center, right, left surround and right surround. It makes a perfect match between stage and surround channels for small "living room sized" home theaters. Just add sub and make sure you turn off the cinema rolloff. The systems sound pretty damn good too.

I am currently using 8340s on my computer.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 08:46 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the Widescreen Review actually recommend using identical speakers for all channels if possible?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 10:18 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea on where to pick up some 8330's or 8340's at a decent price?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 03:42 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is recommended that the LCR speakers are at least made by the same manufacturer. This is to assure that they are timbre matched.

Or at least that's what all the magazines are saying

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2002 05:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
...and yet people STILL buy those crappy mini little center speakers! The most important speaker in the entire system, and it's a little piece of junk!!! What were they thinking???

(and yes I know of the "magnetically shielded" argument, but if you're going to do it, you mine as well do it right and get 3 matching speakers for the screen.)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2002 08:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twas what I did. I bought a 6-pack of JBL Control 1s. Mag shielded and sound decent enough. There is also that JBL B460 18" sub to ensure the bottom end is fine too.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 01:03 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I Absolutely agree with you!!! Center channel is the MOST important, why should be the smaller one...

Bye
Antonio

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2002 03:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Steve, Steve, Steve.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-22-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly the Control I has that "Altec" timber that he loves
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Agree with Steve,
JBL Control 1 speakers sound damn fine, we use them in the cinema bar and I bought a pair for home studio use and are great when used with a Sub.

Darren

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry Richard...I have a pair of Altec 604s as well. I also have a pair of JBL L-250s.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I use 5 identical home JBL speakers with a 12 inch JBL sub at home for my system. they are all horn driven and accompanied by a single 8 inch woofer. They dont sound very good if you are using a reciever but i have never heard a reciever system i have personally liked. Go seperates based if you can for any system.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-22-2002 10:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have control 1's on the home HiFI and A6's behind the screen in the screening room
best of both worlds

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: