Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does this trailer have any value?

Author Topic: Does this trailer have any value?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-17-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About this time last year, theatres started to show the trailer for "SPIDERMAN" but when tragedy struck on September 11, the trailer was recalled by Columbia because it showed Spiderman swinging between the two World Trade Center buildings in New York City. When I say value, I am not referring to any kind of financial gain but more of it being valuable as a collector's keepsake.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno if it's a valuable collector's item or not, but I'm keeping my copy.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 10:29 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same goes for the poster with the twin towers reflected in spidermans eye.

Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 03:12 AM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to some im sure they are, (anothers junk is anothers treasure or something like that) the trailers were going for big money on ebay bout that time like 250.00+. im keeping mine, who knows, one day what it will mean, or bring, though the trailer dropped way off from the 250+ value recently..
just my 2.5 cents

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 06:48 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of movies (and trailers) had the Twin Towers in them. It was the fact that Sony Pictures pulled the trailers after 9/11 that made them valuable in some people's eyes.

I had a trailer of "The Thin Red Line" that was pulled by Fox because it listed John Travolta as having a starring role. (I don't think this was any type of monetary windfall, however. ) The "Goldmember" trailer was almost famous.

What other trailers would be considered valuable because they were pulled?

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of the long 5+ minute "Titanic" trailer for when therelease date was scheduled for Summer. Last time I ran it (2 years ago) the Dolby Digital track was between 1 & 2. I also have the teaser poster with the same release date. Not sure of the monetary value, but I think it's a part of history. Not as much as the WTC/Spiderman trailer, though.

As for Goldmember, I bet all those dorks who spent $75+ on a poster from eBay are kicking themselves now. Hehe!

I guess if you're looking to make a buck, as soon as some brouhaha occurs, jump on it. People lose interest very quickly. I remember Episode 1 trailers sold on there for over $300, now you're lucky if you get $5 if that.

=TMP=

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 03:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When George Lucas produced his third "STAR WARS" film (Episode 6), the title was slated as "STAR WARS- The Revenge of The Jedi" and a limited amount of posters with this title was distributed to some key theatres across the country. When the title was changed to "The Return of The Jedi", theatres were asked to take down the previous poster and display the one with the new title. I am sure Fox had recalled "The Revenge-" posters but it is very obvious some were not returned because they are fetching big bucks on the collectors market. Does anyone know how much these poster are selling for now?

-CLAUDE

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-18-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Revenge' posters sell for between $200-$700 depending on condition and style.

'Revenge' trailers go for between $75-$400 on Ebay depending on condition and type of the trailer and the market.

-Aaron

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digging through a retired projectionists garage,(alright, my dad's garage)I found an uncut original Butch cassidy and The Sundance Kid trailer. What's that worth to ya. Raindrops keep fallin' on my head.
Maybe I should box it up and send it back, they're probably looking for it.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-10-2002 05:07 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes the Goldmember trailer/poster so special?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-10-2002 09:33 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bond people over at MGM got mad at the New Line people for
using a title that was close to "Goldfinger". So New Line
sent a letter for theatres to remove the poster & trailers.
New Line made a deal with MGM to put the trailer of "Die.."
before "Goldmember". Just Standard Opertional Bull [bs]
in the PR Department.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: