Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MD compression and sound quality (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: MD compression and sound quality
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 08:34 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas a CD is 650MB, IIRC, an MD is only 120. So, it would stand to reason that audio gets considerably compressed to make an entire audio CD fit onto an MD. If that's true, it would stand to reason that the quality would be considerably less than the original CD.

So, how close am I to the truth? I know that MiniDisc is supposed to be true CD quality. But then again, most people think that MP3's are, and we know they are not. So, what really is the quality of MD?

It would also stand to reason that audio has to be compressed even further when recording in MDLP mode, since you can fit twice the audio (or four times with MDLP4) on a single disc. Does the quality suffer even more in that case?

What I'd really like to know is how does an original CD compare to a copy of that CD recorded

• using an analog connection
  • using an optical digital connection
  • using MDLP
  • using MDLP4

Unfortunately, I can't test this myself because my CD player does not have a digital line out, and my MiniDisc recorder doesn't support MDLP. Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I've really been wondering this stuff for a long time.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-28-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MD's sound very good, partly because the use a compression algorythm that if I'm not mistaken, Dolby developed. Avoid the MDLP feature. I dont really notice a quality degrading on MDLP2 but the MDLP4 is pure shit, so I've enver used it.

Avoid sony, they are too flimsy and dont hold up that well. I had one I went running with for about 6 months and after that the antiskip lost its edge. The G-protection they put in those units now is very good, I have yet to hear mine skip.

as for the various recording options, it doesnt make much difference, unless you pick up hum or something.

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 01:48 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always though Sony was the best. But I don't go running with my player. Actally, the one I'm currently using is a Sharp, but that's only because it was on sale.

C'mon, guys! I know Josh isn't the only one here who uses MiniDiscs. What do the rest of you have to say?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-30-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of the positive comments about the sound quality of Mini Discs but Sony's quality standards SUCKS when it comes to their portable MD and CD players! It does not matter if the procuct was made in Japan, Hong Kong or elsewhere, they still suck! Another thing I dislike about Sony's MD players is their inability to listen to music louder than the maximum sound level of the player. The sound level is kind of ok on their crappy headsets but it is very soft when I use my Bose acoustic noise cancelling headset. Although the volume control on Sony's portable CD players is better than their MD players, my Sony portable CD player 'died' after only three months of use

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-30-2002 03:05 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I had expressed my opinion about how bad Sony's MD & DVD players are, I was wondering if all of you who have a MD player know that there are 80 minute discs available. I have found the 74 minute discs was fine when recording most movie soundtracks and 'New Age" music but was much too short when I record many classical music Cds especially operas which I love very much. With the 80 minute disc I can record an entire CD no matter how long it is because that it the maximum amount of program content they hold.

-Claude

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the 80 minute discs, too. If a CD will fit on a 74, I use that. If not, I use the 80. Also, when I am making custom mixes, I use 80's since I can get two or three more songs on a disc.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-30-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony MD uses a lossy coding technology called ATRAC (Adaptive Transformitive Acoustic Coding) to reduce the amount of digital data from standard PCM. Incidentally, ATRAC is also employed in SDDS, only for SDDS they use a more complex version of ATRAC than for MD. ATRAC is too complicated to explain in a few words, but I am sure you can easily find detailed information on the net.
Check this URL: www.minidisc.org/aes_atrac.html
You can also find information about MiniDisc and some links on www.howstuffworks.com. Itīs a bit simplistic but still a good introduction. I suppose there will be some information on the Sony website, though I haven`t checked.
Michael

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2002 11:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to a Sony technician who was assisting us with the install of the 6th or 7th SDDS unit in the country (Ian help me out here if you're reading this... which SDDS did the Greenwood get?). Anyway the tech told me that SDDS uses ATRAC 2.0, same as MiniDisc, but operates differently in that it can have 6 or 8 full discrete channels, along with an MDLP4-type back up track. He did not actually use the term "MDLP4" since that was not available at the time, but that's what it sounds like to me. Minidisc is up to ATRAC 4.x I think. My Kenwood has ATRAC 4.5. Of course that is only for encoding... it can be played back on any MD player. Sharp MD recorders do not officially use ATRAC but their own compatible codec which is more or less the same.

I agree that the Sony players suck much ass. They are way too quiet, no matter what type of headphones you use. The Sharp portable I have plays at sufficient volumes and sounds better than any other MD player I have ever heard bar none. The Sony's are designed to break down so that you buy more units. The same can be said for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 videogame consoles. A programmer for Capcom of Japan (the creator of the "Resident Evil" series, in fact) even said that publicly on the radio about Sony. Just buy another brand.

As far as copying from analog or digital, I do prefer digital, but analog can be very good as well if you have a good connection. You just record any noise that may or may not be present in the line. I wouldn't freak out about it if you are forced to record in analog... you actually have more control over the volume and such when you do. It is unlikely that you will notice the difference unless you do countless A/B comparisons.

MD's really missed the boat when Zip discs were popular.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-31-2002 12:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the audio bitrates (and compression types) used by the music only channels on digital satellite dishes? The audio quality seems pretty comparable to MP3, but not quite as good as a real CD. My Yamaha RX-V995 receiver has a number of digital output jacks on it, including one specifically for MiniDisc players. I'm wondering what kind of results I can expect from hooking up a portable MD unit to the receiver.

Also, is there any way to interface an MD player to output audio into a computer's sound card or specialty audio capture card?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-31-2002 12:43 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to play devil's advocate here and say that I disagree with the earlier post on MP3 is not as good as cd. It really all depends on the codec you use and the compression you use. In fact, you can get very close to the cd that the human ear will not be able to detect a difference, regardless of the system it is played on.

I know that the discussion is mini disc, but I had to chime in on the defense of mp3. I use the latest Fraunhoffer codecs and use a high vbr bitrate. It gives a file size about twice that of the normal mp3, but the quality is much much better.

Dave

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 12:51 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to hear an MP3 that I thought was listenable too, but I'm always willing to try.

I too love MD. I don't have a portable, I have a full size Sony deck, packed with features, and all of them useful, which is unusual. Co-ax and optical digital in and out too! Was ridiulously cheap considering eveything it does and how good it sounds.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-31-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before my deck had the USB interface, I'd use the optical out on my creative soundcard to record stuff. Worked really well, and when the Sony software(which sucks major ass BTW) crashes, that's my default method.

I'll look for a short clip on my computer and post it to show how good high rate MP3's can sound.

Josh

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-31-2002 02:14 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See what you think of this one....
((click hear ))

Josh

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-31-2002 04:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good... I just can't place the videogame that you took that from. It's driving me crazy!

Edit: It's not a video game it's Princess Mononoke. You do realize they are coming out with Princess Stereonoke, correct? Actually the Princess Mononoke soundtrack did have some hiss and noise in it on many tracks. Not exactly the best recording ever.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-31-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been very impressed with MD audio quality.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: