Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » CD Prices may take a tumble, big five settle out of court... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CD Prices may take a tumble, big five settle out of court...
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-01-2002 04:12 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right children. The big five record companies, settled out of court in a massive anti trust lawsuit, filed by several states, for nearly 70 million dollars.

The charges alleged that the big five had illegally coerced retailers to artificially inflate retail prices of new CD's. To fail to do so would have meant disallowment from carrying the said CD's.

Without admitting guilt, the big five have promised not to behave in such a way in the future, hoping to avoid further probes by the FTC.

In the past year, the FTC had found against the big five in a similar suit, which showed that the studios did not permit the advertizement of sales on new CD's.

The CD's on average were jacked up by one dollar or more.

This does not necessarily mean that all cd's will take a tumble, but now smaller retailers will have access to the new releases that they did not have before. And they can sell them for whatever price they want.

This can in time, force the major retailers to demand lower wholesale prices in order to compete. This would mean an overall lower price on CD's.

Last I checked, I think we decided that this was the best way to beat piracy. You know, to make music affordable.

It will take a few months to implement the settlement. In fact, 5.5 million CD's are bieng donated to libraries across the nation as part of the settlement. In some states, you may even be eligible for up to a one doller per cd refund, depending on the cd, and when it was purchased.

So here is hoping something good comes out of this.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-01-2002 07:24 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. And, now, my comments.....

[rant]

A measly friggin' dollar!? CD's can -- and should -- be cheaper, dammit!

[/rant]

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2002 11:24 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, this settlement will not lower CD prices and it will probably force many record stores out of business, which will have the longer term result of raising prices.

The original intent was to force the big chains such as WalMart, KMart, etc. not to use CDs as a loss leader. The intent was to keep record stores in business. Also, it never really affected the price they could sell records for...it only affected the price they could place in advertisements.

Also (and I say this even though I think the big-5 record companies are scum), CDs are not overpriced as compared to vinyl albums in the mid 1960's if you consider inflation.

Around 1966, most stereo pop LPs listed for $5 and sold for around $3.66. That translates to $27.78 and $20.33 in 2002 dollars and most CDs are priced way below that. Most new releases are discounted to $14 and classic albums sell for anywhere from $8-$12 at places like J&R in New York. Just this weekend, I purchased the latest Dylan CD for $10. If you go to the J&R website, you'll see them selling any of the following for $7.99: Very Best of Aretha Franklin, Blue-Joni Mitchell, Kind of Blue-Miles Davis, Tapestry-Carole King, Bat Out of Hell-Meatloaf, Moondance-Van Morrison, Greatest Hits -Aerosmith, John Coltrane-My Favorite Things, Sinatra-Greatest Hits. Frankly, I think this is a great value.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2002 11:47 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and that's why I download most of my music....Everywhere i go, new CDs of new bands go for 18-20 bucks. if CDs were a little more reasonable, i'd have no problem buying them, like DVDs. New DVDs are well worth the 20 bucks or so, considering the quality is great, and they have special features.
Martin, you have a good point about the prices.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-01-2002 11:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that someone posted here a while ago that it costs more to purchase the CD soundtrack for "The Matrix" than it does to purchase the entire movie on DVD. Something is wrong here.

I'm seeing CD prices ranging from about $12-20 around here. The largest record store in Boston (Virgin Records) prices most recordings at about $18.99, though some independent stores charge less.

Even used record stores seem to be raising their prices; a few years ago, I was paying about $3 apiece for used vinyl in good shape; now it seems that most LPs are fetching $5-7. Ouch.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that recorded music is overpriced, as I know that the production and distribution costs are huge, but I will say that these prices are high for many peoples' budgets.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2002 12:12 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In australia cd's are generally priced around $29au ($15us), if you go to a large chain store you can get them for about $25au ($13us), the max price that i've seen for a cd(non import) has been $30.95au, too much for me!
DVD's usually go for about $39au ($20us), cheaper once again in the chain stores.

I WOULD CERTAINLY BY MORE CD'S IF THEY WERE CHEAPER!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made this up more than 10 years ago:

THE 11th COMMANDMENT:
Thou shalt not pay $15.99 for a CD. Neither shalt thou accept $12.99 as a sale price.

($11.99 was a standard sale price the first few years of CD, you could even get new releases at Target for $10.99.)

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2002 02:31 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I avoid buying CD's at Wal-Mart, K-Mart ... or almost any other department store! $16.99 + for most CD's. Blah.
(Baroque, Classical, et al, tend to be the only exception - but they tend to be priced under $7) ...

And no, I don't download all my music - only the stuff that is otherwise out of print, and unavailable anywhere else.
I have a favorite 'record store' chain - Bull Moose Music. There aren't too many places where you can get insense, body jewelry, and hair dye - and still be a 'record store'! Typically, the CD's I've purchased at their locations have been priced at $14.97 or less. The exceptions include double disc sets, and imports. Brand-new LP's tend to be marked around $9. Couldn't tell ya about cassettes - I never buy em, unless they're blank!

Oh ... and it's my opinion that record stores in malls are evil! Everything in malls is overpriced!

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration ... maybe not ...

Overly high prices is the devil!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-01-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you wonder why people question the honesty in corporates.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-01-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also (and I say this even though I think the big-5 record companies are scum), CDs are not overpriced as compared to vinyl albums in the mid 1960's if you consider inflation.

Also, CDs (new releases) generally contain a lot more music than vinyl LPs did. LPs were typically ~40 mins total playing time. CDs routinely exceed 60 mins these days. That alone could justify prices being 50% higher. I don't like CD prices any more than anyone else, but if you look at the big picture, it can be argued that they aren't all that over-priced.

I really do have a problem understanding the logic that people use to justify theft of music (or movies). "CDs are too expensive and I can't afford them, so therefore I am justified in stealing the music I want". I guess I'm weird or something, but I wouldn't be caught dead with a bogus copy of a CD, videotape, or any other copyrighted entertainment. Don't want to hear one or watch one.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-01-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Cd's generally cost between 5 and 7 dollars wholesale. The artificial inflation was for newer cd's and only were sent to large retailers.

The big five will no longer artificially inflate wholesale prices, and will allow them to all retailers.

As for if prices will take a tumble, hard to say, only time will tell. If you don't see a tumble now or for a year or so, don't just say it will never happen.

Remember once upon a time that Nintendo once controlled the video game industry. After an out of court settlement that barred them from demanding that retailers carry only thier decks and games, the competition began rolling out.

It took a few years, but now Sony and Sega are now major competitors.

So it takes time, but you have to wait it out and see what happens.

Also remember that the refunds are about one dollar, not actually the overcharge. Sorry if I did not make that clear earlier. This is an out of court settlement, not a judgement.

Dave

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-01-2002 07:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted sometime back about paying more for the original motion picture soundtrack to "The Matrix" than I did for the DVD. That is no lie.

An even more apples-to-apples (and extreme) example would be how I paid more money for my copy of The Eurythmics Greatest Hits CD than I did for their DVD. The plain CD has 14 songs. The DVD has 21 music videos, complete with Linear PCM 2.0 audio every bit as good as a CD. It is easy to see which is the better value.

CDs are highly overpriced, particularly in terms of the events that brought on the justifiable lawsuit. CD prices had been dropping, particularly through big discount warehouse stores like Best Buy. It was not difficult in the early to mid 1990s to find new releases for as little as 10.99 or even less than that.

Then the collusion happened between the major labels and some key retailers. That drove prices skyward toward the stinking $18.99 and $19.99 levels you can easily see when visiting a Sam Goodys store (one of the retailers named in the suit).

The recording industry is losing money for two reasons.

Reason One: CDs are priced in a level the market will not bear. DVDs, video games and lots of other sensory entertainment is available as alternatives to pre-recorded music. So, to sell more CDs, they have to be priced much more competitively. And, believe me, it doesn't cost much at all to replicate CDs. You can get a glass and stamper master set made for $2000 or less and use it to replicate many thousands of CDs for perhaps no more than a penny per blank. The disc, printed packaging, jewel case and shipping cost make the total cost around $1.50 per disc --if even that. Production costs? If you are a major label shipping hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of units you can amortize that cost within that $1.50. The rest is all profit.

Reason Two: much of today's popular music just plain sucks. I don't even want to waste my time listening to half the shit on the radio much less waste any of my money buying it. I mean, damn, I have Morpheus on my computer and haven't fired it up in months. I can't even think of any listenable MP3s to download! The RIAA needs to turn around and have the people they are "protecting" improve their freaking product!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-02-2002 03:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, I paid about 25 bucks for my copy of "Matrix." Most DVD's up here are about in that price range.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2002 06:00 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most DVD's in the UK are between 19 - 24 Pounds sterling (Around $30.00 to $38.00US)

But the prices for cd media has always been hi here.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2002 06:25 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked at how much you guy's have to pay for cd's and DVD's, 20 pound for a DVD? that'a about $55au...damn! i always thought that we payed much more over here, i still feel that what we pay is still too much though.
I would be happier paying around $20-25au for cd's and around $30au for DVD's.

Since getting my cd burner i have found that i have been buying atleast twice as many cd's (pre recorded) than before, i've found that burning a copy of a friend's cd has given me more time to fall in love with the cd and convincing me to purchase either the retail version for the collection or buying another selection from the artist's catalogue.

BOBBY...i think you need to find a better radio station, as a last resort you could listen to my local radio station which is at www.rtrfm.com.au , it is better than most, they play everything from theatre organ music to dark goth to reggae to anything else you could think of?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: