Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Get a free Film-Tech T shirt - play the TES game! COMMENTS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Get a free Film-Tech T shirt - play the TES game! COMMENTS
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. There doesn't seem to be much faith in question #2.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-29-2002 06:28 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because Mr. Carroll is personally taking Technicolor's G5 jet,
down to meet with you in Texas. And he is bring two brand new EK prints with him.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-29-2002 11:45 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He might reply to your email, but the way yourself and others have described TES, I don't think it will be within three days. They seem to put things off, like shipping out film as late as possible.

I seem to like Victoria Film Services & Mavety Film Delivery more and more each day.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's funny cause its true....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-30-2002 12:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing is that it really wouldn't take much to improve TES sufficiently to stop most of the complaints on this forum. I've been pretty happy with the customer service people who answer the phone (which, unlike ETS, is answered 24/7) and their shipping costs are lower than what ETS charges for shipping via "Highway Films," "Film Transport," etc.

The biggest weak point seems to be the "integrity inspection" process (ha!). If the inspectors (monkeys?) would stop placing the reel stickers over the string catch on the reel bands, discard damaged reels and cans, and attach good reel flanges to the cores properly, most of us would be pretty happy. They would get bonus points for switching to ETS-style reels and better-quality reel bands.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I understand the game may have created a lot of busyness, is it possible to post feature info about "Frida" to see if the movie is in fact encoded in DTS? (So we know whether to expect DTS discs with the print or not in the first place!)

***EDIT: Nevermind! Right after submitting the post, I realized the pictures of the print clearly show a DTS track! MY BAD!***

=TMP=

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... I actually don't have any major gripes about Film Trans.
...Maybe the occasional irritation over having to take a reel apart & put it back together, aligned correctly, or once in a great while finding "attached" trailers single-sided spliced onto the print, out-of-frame (i.e. 'SW EpII' on "Ice Age", and 'Star Trek: Nemesis' on "Four Feathers"). But nothing that really pisses me off.

Technicolor, as most of us seem to be only too painfully aware of, is another beast entirely! Broken reels galore, reels missing a flange - just one, and I've seen a print arrive with two reels in that state! (And of course, they were two different types of reel, so I couldn't "borrow" the other solo-flange to make a whole reel out of either one! ) Missing leaders, prints all scratched to hell, prints delivered Saturday when they should have been there before noon on Friday, ...all the usual unprofessional poodoo. They suck!

*stops before a full-blown rants hits*

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-30-2002 02:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracia -- I don't really have any issues with ETS (at least the Salem, MA. and Landover, MD. locations), either. I was just making the point that their courier service costs the theatre owner more than shipping from Technicolor/Airborne. On the other hand, ETS will let theatre employees pick up prints at the depot to save shipping costs (although I have never done this personally).

In terms of packaging, I've been happiest with the Reel Easy depot (which ships Sony Pictures Classics releases); they use good plastic reels and proper reel bands. Unfortunately, they seem to have the worst cans.

I guess I just haven't seen many of the problems that others have with Technicolor. I usually only work at theatres on Thursday nights (and sometimes on weekends and for special shows), and I've never had any problem with TES prints arriving on time for first-run exhibition. Once in a while a print will arrive on Friday morning, but it will come at 10:00am before a 12:30 show or something, so there's no big issue there. Occasionally, TES will arrive to pick up a print while it is still on screen on Thursday night, but they never seem to object to waiting half an hour after the show ends for me to break the print down (oddly, they only seem to show up early at platter houses...).

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-30-2002 03:06 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas Procyk Quote:
You may find that the feature info on "Frida" has been on the
Film-Tech site since August 22, 2002.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-30-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the lack of faith in Brad Carroll is disturbing. I mean, in order to get a free right answer, all you have to do is call up Brad when he gets back from vacation and give him some good incentive to email Brad within 3 days. How hard could it be? ;-)

--jhawk

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-30-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl Victoria Film Service and Mavety film delivery have been owned for some time by Technicolor

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 09:07 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all fairness to Brad Carroll, he does respond to email. I received one from him on 9/24/01 in response to a complaint I had about a damaged print I had received from a theater in Pennsylvania. He thanked me for the information I provided, and explained that it is not TES policy to bill theaters for damaged prints. He said that TES will supply an assessment to the studio that includes a complete history of the print, and provided a telephone number to for me to call him if I had any further questions.

My guess is that he will respond to your email, Brad.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-31-2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a reminder, I will lock the game thread in a matter of hours tonight, so if you want a shot at a free T shirt, cast your ballot now.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2002 02:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have e-mailed Brad Carroll twice, and he has responded both times. The first time, I had an e-mailed response within four hours; and the second time, he called me on the phone at about 8:00 in the evening. This was about 90 minutes after I sent the email.

My emails to him were both about TES service in general, not about specific prints.

I think generally, if you write in a friendly, professional manner and don't send him "flames," he will respond. At least that's been my experience.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-31-2002 03:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people may call this professional, some may not. Friendly? Maybe, maybe not. A lot of it depends on the individual person reading as well as the mood they are in when they read it. Regardless, this is what I sent to Mr. Carroll.

quote:
Hello Brad,

You are probably well aware of the situation going on with Frida print #8. However you are probably not aware of the unnecessary nonsense happening with the replacement print.

I direct you to here
Click on "forums".
On the first page of the "Film Handler's Forum" there is a thread titled "Hey you, you suck! (AKA: Outing bad film handlers)".
Please read this discussion, paying particular attention to the first post on page 1 and the first post on page 4.

I hope you can see to it that whichever theater caused the damage to print #8 is properly billed and I hope you can do something about this nonsense in regards to the trailers and all this unnecessary film handling. This is not the first time things like this have happened and I'm sure it will not be the last. I understand TES is a huge company and many decisions must be arbitrarily dictated by a computer that cannot think through the logic in real-life situations. However it is an excellent example in regards to proper film handling on two separate issues that you can hopefully use in your position at Technicolor to better the overall services offered by TES for everyone.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Sincerely,
Brad Miller

My comments "whichever theater" is in the event the Writer's Guild theater was not responsible for the damage and the use of "well aware" is because it is no secret that he lurks on the forums. Either the guy's hands are tied in regards to posting publicly, or he is afraid he will get slammed by the masses if his presence is made here. (I actually doubt that would happen. The history of these forums has shown that respect is given to companies whenever there is a representative on the forums that makes efforts to assist people as they ask questions and problems turn up.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: