Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Digital Drive-in sound (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Drive-in sound
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 06:10 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hi all

I stumbled across this article which talks about a drive-in theatre in the USA offering digital sound to drive-in theatre patrons.

here

What puzzles me is that it appears that all they are doing is just mixing the sound down to 2 channels. Most of our drive-ins here in Melbourne already have stereo fm sound so what is the advantage of what they are offering?

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-30-2002 08:04 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Berrett:
Most of our drive-ins here in Melbourne already have stereo fm sound so what is the advantage of what they are offering?

Practically nothing but perceived marketing advantage. They can say they have digital sound.

Note that they mention it right at the top of the page here

FM, stereo or otherwise is a lot better than a 4 inch window speaker, but it doesn't have the noise floor that a reasonably well-installed (and much less expensive) SR system can produce. Unless you have an expensive, recently made FM exciter (transmitter), good theatre components feeding it and an interference-free clear shot to your customers' cars, you'd be lucky to see noise floors down more than -30 to -40db or so at the output of a car radio. With all the "activity" going on in and around most cars in a drive-in, (read that one any way you want), you're not going to hear much sound below that level, even if it was there... which is part of why broadcasters use a lot of compression-based processing to REMOVE those dynamics!!!

Stereo separation can vary widely, too, which really defeats the quality that digital film systems produce.

The stereo generator in an FM transmitter contains an audio filter which removes everything above 15kHz. This prevents interference with the signals that "tell" your radio how to make stereo out of a single-channel analog transmission. This pretty much brings the FM transmission process down to a level, maybe somewhat better than consumer-grade analog tape. Sure, you can get better results in a controlled environment... (that + "drive-in" = oxymoron).

Now, add the uncontrolled dynamics of the car itself. Every car in the field is a small auditorium with unknown acoustics that would be impossible to equalize for.

So... what will you get by running digital? Probably not much more than click-free splices and the ability to say you're digital. Unfortunately, a lot of drive-ins are not the first to play a print.
I wonder how how consistently a digital system would work, considering the reliability of receiving DTS discs or a readable digital track once a print's been out there for a while (unless of course, Filmguard is being used!).

American broadcasters are able to operate in digital all the way to the transmitter, if they choose. However, as our radios are still analog, the signal has to be converted before it leaves the transmitter site... as it would at a drive-in.

Also, you are right about the channel limitation. Any system (digital or not) that generates more than two channels would have to mix them down before they hit the subsequent components of the drive-in's audio chain, or they'd be lost.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some radio stations are just starting to broadcast in digital. It probably wont be happening to drive-ins anytime soon as I *believe* that requires a digital radio, aside the the huge cost.

The point of a DTS drive-in sounds more like a marketing ploy. Not a bad idea though, most people wouldn't notice anyway.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

...A projectionist without a theatre...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-30-2002 11:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this area, WOR began advertising their digital radio broadcasts several weeks ago -- the first in NYC.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-30-2002 12:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WRT digital radio broadcasts: Is this the satellite radio thing or something different? Is the sound quality decent, or is it some nasty form of compression at a low bitrate?

If the DI owners were crazy, they could get three FM stereo transmitters and broadcast six discrete channels on three frequencies.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-30-2002 02:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Norwood:
WRT digital radio broadcasts: Is this the satellite radio thing or something different? Is the sound quality decent, or is it some nasty form of compression at a low bitrate?

It's not satellite based, but a method whereby existing broadcasters can add a digital audio stream to their signal. Dan and Tim are correct... the FCC did authorize the process recently, and those radio stations that had a jump on equipment installation were able to begin using it immediately. As with color tv and the early days of FM, there aren't any receivers out there to speak of... but someone had to be first, so it looks like this it is.

Here's a story on the subject you can read here... printed just before the FCC voted on the authorization.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-31-2002 09:51 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As with color tv and the early days of FM, there aren't any receivers out there to speak of...

Someone on WOR was just talking about this. They're broadcasting to no one on the digital channel.

(Hello there, Jack. Welcome!)

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-31-2002 11:15 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6 (or 3) discrete FM channels is going to be a non-starter for most users. But if they broadcast matrixed FM, possibly with a wider bandwidth than usual for more SNR, then they could be backwards-compatible and hi-fi car folks would just need to get a 2:4 decoder (old CP50, whatever...).

--jhawk

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-31-2002 06:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That DTS at the drive-in press release is pretty funny --and extremely inaccurate. Any drive in could certainly install a DTS booth rack. But to say the cars are going to hear it in digital is freaking stupid! If the output is converted to analog and broadcast in analog FM form, then the audio the audience is hearing is only analog. I wouldn't be surprised if this drive-in was running the DTS flying disc snipe on the front of their shows.

Technologically speaking, it would be pretty easy to do 5.1 digital and simultaneous 2 channel FM analog audio broadcasts to a drive-in theater audience. However, the infrastructure is currently not in place.

If the music industry could get over its war with the Internet and actually back some next-generation audio formats like DVD-A and SACD with some worthwhile music content --and not the same damned 10 songs Clearchannel keeps payola-playing over and over and over again-- we might see a wider proliferation of 5.1 surround equipped car stereo systems.

With digital radio broadcasting now set to hit the airwaves, that could help out in the process of building up car surround sound infrastructure. What needs to happen is the digital broadcast receivers need to be able to recognize an incoming Dolby Digital or even DTS audio bitstream and process it.

Finally, the film distributors would have to come up with different 5.1 surround bitstreams car surround systems would be able to understand. The theatrical DTS APT-X100 codec is different and incompatible with Home DTS CAC decoders. And theatrical Dolby Digital has copy protection flags built into it so it cannot be processed by consumer Dolby Digital decoders either. This last item actually has me more concerned about the viability of digital surround sound at the drive in. The distributors might figure there are too few drive in theaters in existence to even bother with such a system. And the distributors would use copy protection complaints as a justification not to implement such a system.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2002 09:46 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the specs in front of me, but the new radio digital formats are very low bandwidth because the existing AM or FM signal has to co-exist with the new digital signal. I think sending 5.1 down that stream would be impossible unless the equivalent per channel bit rate was so low as to make it unlistenable.

FYI, many radio engineers are complaining bitterly about the new digital formats. They feel it hurts the quality of traditional AM broadcasting, although I've listened to WOR when they have the digital turned on and I haven't been able to detect much of a difference.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-01-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the bandwidth available in the digital radio broadcast format would have to be enough to hold lossy compressed 5.1. Dolby Digital theatrical runs at 320kb/s. DD 5.1 on D-VHS runs at 576kb/s, and typically operates at 448kb/s and 384kb/s on DVD. However, I have seen DD 5.1 dropped to as low as 256kb/s on a couple DVDs (where they insist on having 5.1 tracks in 8 different languages). Hopefully there is enough bandwidth available for a short distance transmission of 384kb/s data.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-02-2002 05:03 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding of the whole process is that there were two versions submitted for "market analysis", one that crams everything (analog and digital) into the bandwidth currently allotted for anolog only, and another that added bandwidth for the digital stream. The former process won, which, in the opinion of many career engineers was not the superior version... but that figures. Look at what the FCC did to AM stereo.

As for compression rates, etc... what makes this a possible issue of interest to drive-ins is the fact that in the end, the car only has 2 channels to begin with, so 5.1 or otherwise, it's not an issue for us. DAB would provide a silent digital pathway from our booths to our customers' cars, something many drive-in owners do not currently have, when considering interference for real, licensed broadcasters (darn their hides!) AM skip interference and the low power levels used in the "transmitters" drive-ins use.

Hi, Tim!

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 04:45 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I hear all T.V. stations have to be broadcasting in digital by 2003. Then when 85% of the market has digital recievers there analog signals will be turned off.

The following bit was from here

"Television stations are required by federal law to add the higher-quality digital signal to their broadcasts by May 2003.

Although standard televisions can't receive digital signals, consumers won't have to run out and buy new sets anytime soon. Stations must continue to broadcast the standard analog signals until 85 percent of consumers in a market have bought digital televisions, Petrowich said."

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 09:15 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The day they require everyone to have a digital tv set just to watch a tv program will be the day I stop watching tv altogether. I'm NOT going to throw away my still perfectly working 1973 Sony color tv!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-02-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll make you buy a digital converter instead. But the 'new and improved dIgItAl' picture will still suck.

edit: I just watched the Toronto hockey game and the picture was severely messed up about 4 times due to 'digital problems'.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: