Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Clint Phare cue markers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Clint Phare cue markers
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-01-2002 12:57 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't suppose anyone has a good source on Clint Phare 35mm cue markers? (We have one, and I'd like a few more.)

It seems like highway robbery to buy them for $80 (that's what "Theatre cue marker 35mm" runs for in Christy's Editorial's catalog.)

At this point, I think I will mill some myself. Though it appears the cost of tooling is sort of annoying, as there's a specialty keyslot cutter required. That kind of makes me think I should make more than 1 or 2 if I'm going to buy the milling cutter. Would anyone here want a few?

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2002 03:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you make the Jhawk cue detector where the scratched in cues actually line up with the interneg punched cues? Clint's units never matched, so when one of those projectionists would scratch over a set of cues in a dark scene, it looked really bad.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-01-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, good point, Brad. It sure seems like that would be a useful improvement. I don't remember how far off they are, but I guess I'll go measure some lab cues later on and find out.

Unless it's changed, SMPTE 301 says center of the cue should be .281" from the edge, and .148" up from the horizontal centerline, and a diameter of .094".

The frame I scribed w/ a Clint Phare in my pocket is .275" from the edge, .169" from the centerline, and a diameter of .080". That seems reasonable except for the height, but if anything the SMPTE height seems low. I don't have any frames with IP lab cues in my pocket, but I'll measure some next time I'm in the booth.

Any idea how consistent IP lab cues are? I seem to remember seeing them in a variety of different places, but I could be wrong on that. If so, obviously you can't please everyone.

BTW, are IP lab cues actually punched out of the IP, or are they adhesive dots, or Clint Phare -scribed, or what?

--jhawk

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-01-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to see a version that put cues in the right spot on 'scope prints.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2002 05:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This has got me thinking, how hard would it be to devise a marker that has an adjustable plate? Something that could be held in front of a light, the plate put in the desired location horizontally and then clamped down, then aligned vertically and clamped down for scratching?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-01-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid your description doesn't quite evoke a useful image in my mind, Brad. Is the idea that you want to be able to move the location of the cue dot in both dimensions, to match up with an existing cue dot? A sketch of what you want would be cool

It sounds like it would be cumbersome and annoying to use, though...but certainly possible.

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2002 05:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If I could draw, I would. I'll have to see if I can explain it well enough to someone who can like Dwayne or Joe. The idea is for a plate that can slide on a track with a locking screw to hold it in place. The base of the track would have to be open to facilitate looking through the hole where the scratcher would go to get the desired alignment.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-01-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the way to make the thing is to go with a 2-piece design.

The top piece has the holes to allow you to guide the scriber Thus it could be made for FLAT and CSCOPE and you just change the top plate with a couple of screws or a 1/4-trun fastener.

Then, for the bottom plate, you have the milled out area for the film and the registration pin(s).

While you are at it...you could always make 16mm and 70mm cuers too.

We once had a stock pile of the 16, 35 and 70mm cuers (new in the box) but have gone through many on various installations.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 07:04 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone post the SMPTE specs for Cinemascope cues, please?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-01-2002 08:51 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Brad, I generally look through the countersunk hole in my marker to align the frameline. I have thought about making a slot or something bigger than that hole though...

I'm not sure what the concern is with cinemascope cues...one position seems to be sufficient (no?).

I'll admit I thought about a two-piece design for other reasons, like not having to buy a 1/8" width 1-1/2" diameter narrow-slot woodruff keyseat milling cutter...but I'm going to go with purity, at least for the moment.

Joe: SMPTE 301 doesn't specify cue marks for scope, they're all the same.

--jhawk

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 08:56 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John.
Are there other generally accepted specs for scope cue marks that diffter from those on a flat film? I never realized they were different, but from what I am reading here, they should be.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-01-2002 09:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they're in different positions on the film, from flat to scope. The scope cue is closer to the center of the film, and closer to the top frame line. Seems like I remember it being slightly larger in diameter, too.

Hey, how about a staggered design? The flat cues as with the Phare units. But then, down about 2 perforations, is the set for scope, which are distinguished by being inset more than the flat. If there's enough room to do that and still leave room for the scriber, that is.

FWIW, the original Phare markers would align with the frame line along the top.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-01-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Measurements from Austin Powers Goldmember (scope; dunno about the lab, they seem to be missing [ahem]{*}): .363" from left edge (.082" further than SMPTE 301), .220" up from centerline (.072" higher than SMPTE 301), .100" diameter (.020" greater than SMPTE 301). These measurements are probably +- .020, given my rush, the imprecision of trying to do this by eye, and the wigglyness of film. Though I think the diameter is probably spot-on.

Him, I think Tim is certainly right, if the goal is to have different marks for flat/scope. Also, another choice would be to have scribing holes on both the left and the right side of the die; so you rotate the die 180 degrees for scope. Both those systems are prone to abuse in that a naive user might scribe more cues than are necessary.

Tim said, "the original Phare markers would align with the frame line along the top". Perhaps I'm smoking something, but I seem to recall getting cues wrong the last time I tried that; regardless, I do find that sometimes it is better to scribe the cue dot 1 perf down, depending on what's where in the frame.

--jhawk

{*} -- There's an ETS label from the previous theater under ours, but of course its from July, so I'm not sure there's much point in bitching at them privately, much less publically...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-01-2002 11:10 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, John, pretty impressive work on the research there. Very rapid, too.

On the frame line alignment. With the registration pin on the top left, and the holes on the right, the frame line went right across the top. At least in the ones I used in the 70s and 80s.

They may have well altered something in later units. As I remember, the craftsmanship wasn't as good on the newer ones. One problem in particular was that whoever drilled the holes went a bit too far and dished the bottom of the scribing area. You could never make a perfect circle with those markers, because the scribe tip would walk around in the shallow crater at the bottom (the place that was supposed to be perfectly flat). The result was a cue that danced around, and changed in thickness, on the screen. Yuck!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-01-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I'm in the market for a 16mm Clint Phare cue marker or equivalent. I have the 35mm version already and will not pay $80 to order one from Christys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: