Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I Hate... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: I Hate...
Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 02:09 AM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a bad day so I must bitch to blow off steam. If anyone else feels the same, then feel free.

I Hate..

...managers who send all concessionist but two home one hour before close on a busy Sat night.
...managers who take an hour to check the closing duties of box office employees when it only takes twenty minutes.
...managers who try to get off early just about every day they work and bitch because they do not get enough hours.
...customers who wait until they get to the front of the concession line and then begin thinking about what they want.
...customers who "know I got the money here somewhere."
...customers who wait till they get to the front of the box line and want to know "what you got starting right now?"
...customers who come out of the auditorium with a winter coat on and ask if you can turn the heat down.
...anyone who thinks it is wrong for all morons to be taken out in the middle of a field and shot.

I could go on but it has been a long day and I want sleep.

Forgive me Father.
Amen.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-03-2002 02:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Join the crowd...

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-03-2002 03:13 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been advocating the shooting all morons campaign for years. It is time to carry that out already!

Dave

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...customers who wait until they get to the front of the concession line and then begin thinking about what they want.

And they stand right in the way of a crowd who knows what they want.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-03-2002 01:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and they wander around aimlessly like a herd of cows....in a complete daze completely unaware of their surroundings.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 01:51 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teenage girls have got to be the worst. They wander around bumping into each other. And then they start in with the gigles....

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man is smart, people are stupid.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-03-2002 06:53 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic but related to the people at the cocessions: the concept of having one cash register in the supermarket where you can pay quickly if you just have two cans of beer was introduced here only quite recently. Of course it took a year for the majority of people to understand the huge sign which said, quick paying for up to 8 articles. Now that most seemed to have grasped the concept, everybody is paying with their eurocheque or credit card for a coke and a pack of cigarettes...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2002 09:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...people who come to the window during an R-rated movie, kids in tow, and say "Is it really THAT BAD?"

...people who come in 45 minutes after the scheduled showtime and say "Has it started yet?" or "Have we missed much?"

...people who think the aisles are soundproof

...people who don't believe the "sold out" sign and ask "You have room for TWO MORE don't you?"

...people who call in and ask if it's OK if their little kid can come to the R-rated movie because the parents are out of town (or other such nonsense)

...cell phones

...etc etc

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...people who come in 45 minutes after the scheduled showtime and say "Has it started yet?" or "Have we missed much?"

I had one come in 30 minutes after the show started today.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 11:02 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember on one occasion, our last movie was at 10:30. A couple came in at about 11:45 and insisted on purchasing tickets for it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 02:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...people who fail to turn their mobile 'phones off when entering an auditorium, and/or who use them during a film. For them, the shooting in a field option is too quick and painless. Saw Spartacus yesterday which gave me an excellent idea for how to deal with them: crucify the buggers. Nail 'em up, and nail the cellphones up with them!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2002 02:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
...theaters with bad presentations in general, but specifically:
*dirty prints
*scratched prints
*sloppy splices
*poor or uneven light on the image
*stray lights from EXIT signs or aisle lights
*bad sound
*undercut apertures, or noticeably overcut apertures
*sloppy printing from the lab resulting in a shaky image
*"green tinted" prints where white objects such as a T-shirt are green
*poor acoustics resulting in echo
*port windows that leak sound into the auditorium

Also annoying...
*seats that have their armrests so low that it forces you to sit with your knees pressed together
*insufficient legroom between rows of seats
*super narrow seats
*ceiling lights left on during the show, even if only a glow (side wall lights ONLY people!)
*managers who seem to think that 75 degrees is plenty cool for an auditorium (this is most commonly found in theaters with all 3 examples of hated seats above...we aren't sardines!)
*corporate people who seem to think that anything under 120 degrees is plenty cool for the booth (aka: corporate penny pinchers with a death wish)
*theaters that purchase super cheap equipment, perform no maintenance themselves, do not pay anyone to service the equipment, then yell so loud that they raise the dead when they lose a show.
*theaters that do not keep at LEAST one spare new xenon bulb of each size in the building, and then complain when they lose a couple day's worth of shows due to an early bulb failure.
*booths without at least some kind of sound absorption (carpet and ceiling tiles preferred, but at LEAST one or the other please)
*booths with stairs between projectors
*managers who like to move prints on a daily basis for no valid reason (such as during the weekdays between auditoriums that only have a 20 seat difference...this usually happens most frequently in theaters with stairs for some reason)

I could go on, but I'm getting annoyed at thinking about this. I may edit more annoyances into this later.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 08:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True story: We are sitting watching THE MATRIX when about half way through the show, a woman a few rows behind us gets a cell call. She answers it -- the first ominous sign. Everyone in my party thinks, OK, she forgot to turn it off, surely she will dispatch of the call in a few seconds. Much to our disbelief, she explains in a voice that can be heard in every part of the room, that she is watching THE MATRIX, exclaims how handsome Keanu Reaves is, and then proceeds to give a running commentary of what's happening on the screen, scene by scene. But the kicker is, when people from all over the theatre began telling her to shut up and take it outside, this imbecile started ARGUING about her "right" to do what she wanted because she paid her ticket the same as everyone else.

Taking her out in a field and shooting her would be much too lenient a punishment.

And Mike B., "People who think the aisles are soundproof" -- that's got to be the best yet. I am going to add that to our Theatre Courtesy sign.... that along with all the other house rules about no cells, no beepers, no recording devices, no rustling of candy wrappers....and the new addition: Please be aware that the aisles are not soundproof!

Frank

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in groups.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 08:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update to the crucifixion idea: nail 'em up ('phones and all) either side of the queue for the box office, just like Crassus did with Spartacus' army along the road to Rome. Any customer contemplating using one in the theatre should then get the message...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: