Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oscar Hype has started! ARRRRRRRRGGGHHH! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oscar Hype has started! ARRRRRRRRGGGHHH!
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 03:53 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The endless Oscar Hype is back to haunt us! This year it's earlier and worse than ever!

Churning out Oscar Hype is just like being a sportswriter -- rumor and speculation, nothing more. I guarantee you the product that's being pushed for Oscars this year is worse than ever. Want proof?

This is what the Film Snobs are pushing for Oscars. Each is followed by why it should not get an automatic nomination:

Far from Heaven -- director is a critics' darling with no hits. Opens in NYC/LA opposite 8 Mile; goes national opposite Die Another Day.

The Quiet American -- Miramax sat on this picture for political reasons and is opening it only because the star cried "Censorship".

About Schmidt -- its star has Oscars already.

The Two Towers -- Miramax involvement.

Antwone Fisher -- Fox is selling off the international rights.

Gangs of New York -- Miramax.

Narc -- Paramount muscled in on this one thanks to Tom Cruise.

Catch Me if You Can -- Spielberg.

Chicago -- Miramax.

The Hours -- Meryl (Box Office Poison!) Streep. Also, Miramax involvement.

The Pianist -- gawd, not another Holocaust movie. The director also is a convicted sex offender.

If you're gonna tout a movie for Oscars tout something that's already a hit. Disney is doing that -- why can't anyone else?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax will push anything for an Oscar.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a push for Wesley Snipes for Best Actor or Undisputed for Best Picture.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--and the same people, who want the hype and the pr turned down, are the same to wonder, when some day the theatre they work in, has to close because of audience getting to small.
But what the heck - Somebody will build a new megaplex nearby, and then they can have a job there instaed....

go gentle !

p.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if somebody wins an Oscar that means they should never be able to win another one?

That's not exactly fair. Great performances are great, no matter who's doing them.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-03-2002 10:36 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the only one that I can really comment on is "Far From Heaven" and I would say it is definitely, to sound like a trade ad, 'worthy of your consideration.'

As for "The Pianist" I can't believe people still dredge up that Roman Polanski business. As I recall he was going to plead guilty for a short sentence that was exactly in line with what was custom at the time but the judge reneged on the deal (probably because Polanski was a celebrity) and was going to put him away for 50 years. That's when he fled. Even the victim doesn't want him jailed. Read here

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pedophile or not, I've never seen a good film by a French filmmaker (that I know of). Currently I am exhibiting a Jean-Claude Godard (or is it Jean-Luc Picard?) movie called "In Praise of Love". Just walking by the projector while it's playing is enough to bore me into a coma.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 06:09 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My real problem with Polanski is not that he's French or a peadophile, but that, with the sole exception of Chinatown, his films are nasty, sadistic and overrated cack. Even there Robert Towne's very tight script fails to completely stop P's sadistic streak plastering the screen with gratuitous violence which is completely unnecessary either for the plot or the atmosphere (e.g. the nose scene and the close-up of Faye Dunaway shot through the head).

I don't have a problem with violent or sexually explicit scenes when they're there to make a point, but in Polanski's case I suspect it's just because he likes them. Worryingly, I suspect that his incident with the 13 year-old shows that he has a problem separating films from real life. Back to Chinatown again - the John Huston character gets away with a particularly unpleasant rape due to his wealth and status: I can't help thinking that this is a case of life following art.

As for the French, I've seen good French films and bad ones. I agree, though, Godard too is overrated. I quite like Alphaville if only for its very dated view of computers and IT, but a disproportionate critical fuss has been made about him, IMHO.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2002 06:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That "In Praise of Love" trailer is hilarious. The whole thing is quotes from supposedly people in-the-know about what good photography and filmmaking is all about. I don't remember any of them word for word, but they were quotes such as "never have I seen such incredible images grace the screen and blah, blah, blah". Meanwhile I am looking at the screen saying "this looks like it was shot on VHS and duped down a few times!" Good photography my ass.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 07:56 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, what about AMELIE?

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had confirmed Nov/Dec/Jan bookings for Academy Screenings
for all those pictures above, for the last three months. I have Miramax,
Paramount, Dreamworks, New Line, Focus, UA, all coming in during that time.

Looks like a Merry Christmas.
Ho Ho Ho Hooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen Amelie. All I know about it is what the newspaper ad looked like. I remember some chick with gigantic huge eyeballs. That is all.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She also had a cute smile too.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most French filmmakers are quite annoying because there is a lot of blah-blah in their films and they don't care enough about picture and sound technology. Jean-Luc Godard is one of them! I noticed sound was often not as good as with American films. They still enjoy using direct sound when they can because they say it's more realistic.

Speaking of Polanski, I love many of his films, especially The Ninth Gate. I haven't seen The Pianist though because I'm not interested in "yet another film about the holocaust" as somebody else previously mentioned.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amelie opened in the US on 11/2/2001. Miramax pushed it hard -- especially for Best Picture. Not! Amelie only got nominated for foreign-language feature IIRC. Lost to No Man's Land.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Far from Heaven sold out last night and the night before at the AMC Hamilton. The trailer pack is all "Oscar Bait": Talk to Her, The Pianist, About Schmidt, The Hours, Catch Me if You Can. Of those 5 the only one with real box office potential is About Schmidt.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: