Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shame, Shame on you, Eastman Kodak (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Shame, Shame on you, Eastman Kodak
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 07:26 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night while I was waiting for "Radio Spirits" to come on, I cought the last half hour of a nationally broadcast news/call in show.

The heated topic was in regards to Eastman Kodak.

In any case, Eastman Kodak sent out a company wide e-mail memo announcing "comming out" day...An employee, a millwright I believe, replied with a e-mail of his own, that was widely distributed.

In any case, the employee basically said that he found the memo offensive and was promptly terminated.

Kudos to this employee for standing up! The workplace is just that...one is being paid to provide a service to the employeer. The workplace is not a forum for political, social, religious, sexual views etc!

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more details on this incident will be found by clicking here

Apparently the employee who was fired was a mid-level manager who criticized (and thus rebuked) Kodak's human resources policies regarding "acceptance of diversity" among the employees who reported to him. Anyone who manages people for a large company knows exactly how sensitive this diversity thing is and how seriously companies have to take the issue. You can't be managing people and publicly state you are anti-gay and not expect to be targeted for "diversity training" or worse. This guy didn't just complain to his manager either -- he emailed 1000 Kodak employees. Dumb.

Should make an interesting court case...

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things like political correctness and affirmative action have run amok!

As a religious minority that has seen his share of discrimination, I am personally AGAINST affirmative action! Acceptance to college, being hired into a position and promotions should be based on ones own mertis and ability ONLY!

I remember a few years ago a case in Texas. A white female, who was at the top of her class, was denied admittance into college (law school I believe) because whe was white. Instead, African Americans, who maintained lower academic standards than this woman, were admitted simply because of the color of their skin. The woman sued and I believe, won. This was a well publicized case a few years back.

When I was in the USAF, we had several homosexuals who "came out of the closet". The problem was that they tried to force themselves onto "straight" servicemen. The result was some well deserved violence directed at the homosexuals prior to their discharges!

The workplace is just that...where you go to perform a specific service for a given salary...and not a political forum for personal issues!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2002 08:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, I agree with both of you to a certain point (not necessarily word for word). But the guy DID e-mail 1,000 other employees, and that was indeed stupid. But the media likes to make everything seem like it was about his opinion and whatnot.

Oh, and having Jerry Fallwell comment about it does NOT help that side of the case!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-04-2002 08:49 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acceptance is one thing; endorsement or encouragement is another.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 08:55 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

John Pytlak shed some light on the Eastman Kodak Company policy
in another thread when he quoted an expression of it:

<<One of Kodak's Values is "Respect for the Individual", which includes Diversity. At a recent conference, Kodak's CEO Dan Carp said: "Our strength as a company is evidenced by our number of diverse people from all over the globe. and from all walks of life. By the company's commitment - and my own personal commitment to living our values, we are creating an environment where every individual feels part of the team and is encouraged to contribute to their fullest potential.">>

These values are reflected in the company's response to the action it took toward Mr Szabo:

<<“Mr. Szabo was not -- I repeat, not -- dismissed for holding a particular opinion, and he could have expressed it to supervisors or to human resources without negative consequence,” Gerard Meuchner said. “Instead, he sent his message to other people in his department -- about 1,000 people -- and in the company’s view, this act created the potential for a hostile work environment.”

Meuchner said Szabo was told “that the company did not wish to dismiss him but merely to counsel him about why his conduct was inappropriate. He was not asked to admit his opinions were wrong but to acknowledge that the way in which he communicated them to about 1,000 people was inappropriate. He refused to create and sign documentation to this effect, despite repeated requests, knowing that his refusal would result in his dismissal.”

He added that Szabo “has the right to appeal his dismissal with an employee-based dispute resolution panel.”

Rochester’s largest employer has regularly been recognized as one of the best places to work for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees.>>

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based only on the information in that link, I don't see anything wrong with Kodak's action. All the guy had to do was hit the "delete" button and forget about it and he'd still be there. Or discuss it privately with his manager. Instead he had to make a public issue out of it and as soon as he did, Kodak had to to something.

Political correctness can run amok though. The City of Eugene often requires job applicants to respond in writing to this question:

quote:
Discuss how you have contributed toward a positive and productive environment in a culturally diverse workplace.

Having to answer that question on a job application infuriates me!! Unless you're a blithering idiot, the only correct response is something very PC and bland like "I enjoy working with all people and I treat everyone equally, as I expect to be treated". DUH!!?? And if you ARE bigoted, are you going to say anything offensive in your reply? What a dumb-ass question. It's pointless.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 01:33 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will wrote :
quote:
The workplace is just that...one is being paid to provide a service to the employeer. The workplace is not a forum for political, social, religious, sexual views etc!

Well, if that is the way you want it, there should be NONE of the following at work:
religious jewelry, wedding rings, pictures on desks, and definately no "what did you do this weekend" or "how is the family" type discussions. This would be the only way to bring about the work environment you advocate, short of getting robots to do the job.

also

quote:
....The result was some well deserved violence directed at the homosexuals prior to their discharges!

That one really speaks for itself.
...so if an old lady made eyes at you, that would make it ok to take her cane and hit her in the knees with it, correct, because you aren't "into" her??

Danny

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 02:12 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Is this why so many Eastman Kodak prints have gone pink?

cheers Peter

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-05-2002 02:19 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago I was interviewed for a job with the British Film Institute, which at that time was a hotbed of trendy leftie political correctness (it isn't quite as bad now, but was then notorious). All went well for the first hour or so, and I thought I'd convinced the panel that I had the necessary qualifications and experience. Then came the equal opps question, very similar to the one David described, except that it was phrased in the form of an example. I was asked how I would 'foster an atmosphere of understanding' toward gay and lesbian staff I had line management responsibility for. I replied that a colleague's personal life should be completely irrelevant to their work, unless a colleague subsequently becomes a personal friend, in which case you're really dealing with two separate relationships. Unless someone was asking for help because they thought they were suffering sex discrimination in the workplace (in which case I would investigate it very seriously and take action if needed), I couldn't care whether they were gay, straight or liked shagging furry animals. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

I too, am fed up with people claming that some aspect of their personal life should entitle them to preferential treatment in the workplace. One of the most blatent cases of it I came across was in a short-lived job about 6 years ago. The chief projectionist left shortly after I started, and was replaced by someone who flatly refused to work evenings and weekends (no negotiation) on the grounds that she had a baby son, with the result that I suddenly found myself doing 7 nights a week. When I raised this with the manager I was told to 'show respect' to the needs of women staff. I'm sorry, working in the evenings comes with being a projectionist - it's part of the job. If you can't deal with that, find another line of work (that's one of the reasons I eventually did).

I agree that this bloke at Kodak made a pretty serious error of judgement by expressing his views so crudely and in writing, but I can't help sympathising with his reaction. After all, anyone who asserted they had rights on the grounds that they were white, male and heterosexual would instantly be branded a fascist.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like political correctness because the way it works consists of making different opinions appear as shameful and unwanted. It's a kind of intellectual dictatorship and I'm stunned to see that people usually advocating it pretend to speak in the name of democracy and free speech. I don't like affirmative action because it doesn't make people getting a job position because of recognized skills.

Maybe the Kodak incident could have been avoided with a company policy specifying that discriminations of all kinds won't be tolerated, rather than focusing on making things better for a specific group (unless Kodak wants to favor a specific group, which I think is also the right of any private company).

On all workplaces I've been, I just refrained from talking about politics, or never talk to somebody about the fact that he/she was gay/Muslim/handicapped or whatever. I just regarded everyone as colleagues, full stop. And, provided they did a good job within the team, there has never been a problem and I always had excellent relations with everybody.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-05-2002 03:34 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to give the politicians view on this, as a former and future politician as I am...

I wholeheartedly concur with the actions of Eastman Kodak in dismissing an obviously distraught individual. The mere fact that he emailed 1000 individuals is proof enough that he has more pressing stress that he is not dealing with. The mere refusal to even admit that he may have acted inappropriately shows that he is not the type of open minded people that make up the wonderful atmosphere felt by my fellow constituents at Kodak.

I however am very concerned that Kodak would terminate a person for such minimal offences. The very fact that they fired him for refusing to apologize is silly. They should all be sent to jail for getting millions of dollars in Enron style tax breaks."""

Making sure I have both sides of the coin.

Dave

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 07:54 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Kutler Said:
quote:
The workplace is not a forum for political, social, religious, sexual views etc!

-I can understand this comment, but in my experience, people that say this sort of thing ONLY say it when they hear something that they do not agree with. (I'm not directing that at Will, but I've heard statements like that in the past)

Will also said:

quote:
Things like political correctness and affirmative action have run amok!

In theory, affirmative action is a terrible thing, but there are so many people in power that are racist and/or sexist, that it is a necessary evil. It's sad but true, in my opinion. Unfortunately, no one has been able to put a better system in place. I would love to think that all races, sexes, etc. would be treated equally without it, but in many workplaces, that would not be the case.

Dave Williams said:

quote:
I however am very concerned that Kodak would terminate a person for such minimal offences.

It's not completely clear that that was the case. Perhaps there was a history there that contributed to the decision. Who knows?

I assume that Kodak was only trying to foster an environemnt in which people of all sexual orientations feel welcome, and for that, I applaud them. I don't see any sort of preferential treatment at work here, at least not in the information provided in here and in the link that David provided. I don't know if I would have dismissed the worker based on this incident only, but clearly what he did was wrong. He was upset for receiving a "political" email, and then basically proceeded to send a "political" email to 1000 other employees. It was a terrible way to handle the situation.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-05-2002 08:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect we won't be hearing from Mr. Pytlak on this one. Kodak is a company that has people to voice the company position on such matters. Any response John should post should be in the form of a quotation on the company's position.

I may have not read the entire incident completely but if this guy's email is constantly flooded with PC propiganda then that is inappropriate as well. Perhaps he felt emailing 1000 coworkers was an "equal time" sort of thing. One thing is for sure, he got more attention to the matter in the manner he chose rather than just whispering to his supervisor. If he didn't like his workplace, possibly mainly due to such items, then he probably is better off not working there and decided to leave in a blaze.

I have a feeling that neither side is squeeky clean on it but I can't think of any company that is perfect nor any perfect employees.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-05-2002 10:53 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, my e-mail is NOT "flooded with PC propaganda".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: