Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Win 98 Start-Up Problem

Author Topic: Win 98 Start-Up Problem
Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I upgraded to the Latest Norton Anti virus , it found the Klez Virus and I had to restall some programs , but then Noticed and message at start up that said " there was an Unexpected error in analysing file , please take a Note of this error and contact this store if it can't be fixed " or words to that effect ... what analysing file and what store ???? there was no application Name in the banner and this appeared during the load of the Task bar after the Desk Top Icons had been loaded , well if I OKd the error the PC seemed to work OK , but then when I tried to upload photo's from my PC to our Community Page on MSN , I would get a GPF Error in Explorer (This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down ) so I changed to the older Explorer 5 but this was no good as I lost the Norton Antivirus Program .......in the end it looked like it wa a problem with Windows Explorer , when I rebooted it said it could not find the file for Norton Antivirus and to reinstall at start up , but it would get as far as loading the Desk Top with out the Icons and stop with the Error (GPF) with Explorer and would only leave me with my Desk Top , no icons or Task Bar , with Crtl Alt Del, the task manager is Empty , did not load anything . What can I do ?????

|  IP: Logged

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 07:01 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found this MS trouble Shooter , so I'll try this and see if it works ????

Method 1: Repair Internet Explorer
Restart the computer to a command prompt:
Insert the Windows 98 Emergency Startup disk in the floppy, and then start the computer.

-or-
Press the CTRL key while you start the computer, and then select Command Prompt Only from the Windows Startup Menu.
At the command prompt, type edit c:\windows\system.ini, and then press the ENTER to open the System.ini file in MS-DOS Editor.
To navigate through MS-DOS Editor, use the arrow keys. Under the section labeled [Boot], change the following line
shell=Explorer.exe

to:
shell=Progman.exe

Press ALT+F to scroll down to Exit, and then press ENTER. Select Yes to save the Windows\System.ini file, and to return to the command prompt.
Restart the computer. The operating system starts Program Manager.
On the File menu, click Run, type control appwiz.cpl, and then click OK to open the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box.
On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools, and then click Add/Remove.
Click the Repair Internet Explorer option, and then click OK. Complete the wizard to repair Internet Explorer, and when you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.
Repeat steps 1 through 5, with the following exception: In step 3, change the line "shell=progman.exe" to "shell=explorer.exe".
If the error persists, follow the steps in Method 2.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This did not work as the PC ,did not find the Program.exe as well , when I put in the control panel it opened but was empty, but the Dial up was there ???? and working but not able to connect to the internet.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-09-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is time consuming but windows 9* all suck. sorry (OS2 rules) but here is what I do all data files are actually stored on a seperate hard drive and every two months I FDISK the main drive and reinstall win98 then Norton then the apps then replug the data drive and scan it
computor gets less slow and fragmented as well

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 07:41 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it seems it was the Latest Version of Internet Explorer 6 and the added Tools that my Norton Anti Virus did not like , so I have reinstalled 98 onto another spare Disc and see if I can repair the other later , so I'm back in business again

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-11-2002 10:30 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you know why we call it WinBlows 98.

I've got one computer running 98 2nd ed. that refuses to hold the desk top icons in the place the user puts them. All the other desktop properties hold, but the icon placement goes back to a line-up default, even though Auto Arrange is not checked. The tool bar on the bottom also goes to Link and Address which and not the user's original setting. Gateway "technical support" says what it always says for any problem....reinstall Windows.

This is why I love projectors. Whatever lens you put in the turret, it always stays there....and you never have to reboot the machine to get the sprocket drives to turn in the right direction.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2002 07:54 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With DLP I hope they don't have the "GPF" This program has performed an illegal operation , half way thru a movie and asking to reboot the Server so the movie can continue .....

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: