Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Windows Clean Install--seeking advice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Windows Clean Install--seeking advice
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2002 03:26 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our computers has never run very well. I have tried reinstalling Windows 98 over the top of the current (98)system in hopes that it would correct problems by replacing missing or corrupted files, but that doesn't seem to do much at all It crashes often and seems to have a lot of bugs in the system and in some of the software. I have been considering reformatting the hard drive and starting from scratch. If I do so, does anyone have any advice? We have also installed some extras like a soundcard and a CD-R drive. Will these add-ons need to be physically removed before reinstalling the system? Any advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

John Moriarty
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2002 04:28 PM      Profile for John Moriarty   Email John Moriarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Beres said
quote:
Will these add-ons need to be physically removed before reinstalling the system?

No (probably not). Infact, I would recomend the opposite. I have always found that when putting in new hardware, the system is much happier if you do a fresh install of the operating system. I guess this this is because it gets rid of a lot of the junk that Windows accumulates (esp. old drivers and the like). Just make sure you have the drivers for them, preferabley the most recent ones.

Yours
John

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-11-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, did you uninstall Internet Explorer before you reinstalled Win98 ontop of itself? Since Internet Explorer updates Windows when installed, Windows Setup won't copy over a lot of files because it sees that newer versions exist on the harddrive.

Before starting from scratch you might want to try:

1. Uninstalling Internet Explorer
2. Reinstalling Windows 98 ontop of itself.
3. Reinstalling Internet Explorer

If you've got 35 minutes to spare it might save you the trouble of starting from scratch... it's worth a try.

If you do start from scratch make sure you install updated motherboard chipset drivers before anything else if possible.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Make sure you have all the drivers. Make sure you at least have the driver for the device that allows this PC to connect to the internet (should this be the case) so you could get any drivers from the editors sites.

But it's not required to remove the devices you installed recently. Your CD-R should be detected and activated immediately provided it's the standard IDE-ATAPI interface, without any external driver. If it's a SCUSI you shouldn't really worry either.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-11-2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, if you have Windows 98 SE (it will boot from that cdrom) use it. However, you will have to tell your BIOS to boot from a CDROM drive.

If, for some reason, you cannot boot from the CDROM, you can boot from your emergency startup floppy disk and select the appropiate option. The boot disk will load the necessary cdrom drivers and mouse to start your installation. I might mention that it is important to shut the computer down for a minute or so after the drive is formatted, and pull the plug. Some virus programs can reside in the DRAM, and it will stay there unless you cold boot.

Sometimes as a precaution, I take the BIOS down, too. That is done by removing the battery and/or a jumper setting. However, before you do that, make sure you record your BIOS settings so you can re-establish things.

Disable "Flash Bios", too. Some virus programs can change your BIOS settings. If you have a boot sector virus option enabled in the BIOS, it will, more often that not, screw up your installation. Turn it off.

There could be a bunch of things that could cause your computer to run slow. Virus's, bad need of defrag, improper BIOS setup, you name it.

Save your important files, and just format the drive and start clean. That's what I do, and I have not had too much problem. Sometimes (more often than not) I remove all the ancillary hardware except for the graphics card, and after Windows is installed, re-insert them one by one, let the computer find it, and feed it whatever it asks for.

Windows 98 can be kind of lame when it tries to install too much crap at the same time.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-11-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although technically should not be necessary to remove all the "extras" before you reinstall, I tend to agree with Paul's advice. Remove the extras, nuke & pave, then add the extras back in 1 at a time, updating each device's driver as you go and making sure the system boots cleanly after each add-on. As Paul said, Win98 can get "confused" if too many new devices are discovered at once, although this is less of a problem during a clean install. Either way will probably work, but doing it 1 at a time gives you a little more control.

Of course before you start you want to have all the updated drivers at hand. And please tell us you're using Win98-SE, not the original release!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-11-2002 05:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David said:
quote:
Of course before you start you want to have all the updated drivers at hand. And please tell us you're using Win98-SE, not the original release!

Definately. If you only have the upgrade, you'll be dead in the water.

When you get it up and running, go to Microsoft's Windows Update page, download and install all the critical and recommended fixes. It'll take some time. You will discover there is at least 30 megs or more of updates and fixes that should be installed.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-11-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet, if this is the computer you regularily use, go and buy Windows 2000, you won't be disappointed.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-11-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, that's for sure. Mine has not crashed yet!

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have been using 98 SE.

If I were to fork over the $200 for the 2000 upgrade, should I uninstall IE?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-11-2002 05:45 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't hurt to unistall IE first, but in the case of a Win2000 upgrade it wouldn't make a difference since Win2000 Setup, in upgrade mode, upgrades the entire shell no matter what (which is what IE upgrades). So no, you don't have to uninstall IE for the Win2000 upgrade.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-11-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can afford the $200, Win2000 is WAY more stable than 98. Go for it! The only thing to watch out for is if you have any oddball hardware installed, make sure there are Win2K drivers available. And download the Win2K drivers ahead of time.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so perhaps somewhere down the line I will get the 2000 upgrade. This discussion is making think about our other computer, a Dell laptop that came with ME. I am having some similar problems with that machine and similar results when trying to reinstall Windows ME. I don't at the moment want to shell out the $200 for the 2000 upgrade, and I would hate to have to buy a second copy ever. Any ideas there?

By the way, thanks for all of the quick replies.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My method usually works
Remove all but the CD rom drive Hard Drive and Video Card

Fdisk the drive and delete the complet drive and all partitions
shut down the machine and then reboot and create a primary partition

Using the startup floppy create a drive call WIN98 and copy the CDrom cab files to it and the do an install from the hardrive
When windows is installed installe the motherboard drivers (VIA if you have them)
Then install the other cards(sound network SCSI etc) and install there drivers one at a time

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-11-2002 10:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IE won't uninstall. It can revert back to the previous version. If the "repair IE" option is run, it'll tell you what files are missing or corrupt. Sometimes, it'll tell you to re-install the product.

As for removing IE, it can be done manually. But the person who tries it better know what they are doing.

Personally, I would not fiddle with the upgrade version of 2000 Professional. The full clean version is not that much more expensive, and the benefits reaped will offset the cost.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: