Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Health Groups Want Movies with Smoking Labled (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Health Groups Want Movies with Smoking Labled
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-14-2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from NBC. here

R RESTRICTED
Under 17 requires accompanying
Parent or Adult Guardian

Strong Language included
A scene of sexual dialogue
A scene with a actor smoking

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a smoker, but what the hell is wrong with people today? This is the kind of PC nonsense that is getting out of hand. Someone needs to strap the leader of this organization to a chair and bring about 100 smokers into the room for a 5 hour smoking marathon.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Brad. Here in Los Angeles, it is even illegal to smoke outdoors in some places.

Danny

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-14-2002 04:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just silly. I don't smoke, have never smoked, and most likely never will smoke, and even _I_ am sick of anti-smoking campaigns like this one. Let people make up their own minds, based on plenty of available medical evidence. As long as I'm not forced to breathe smoke-polluted air in enclosed spaces (restaurants, airplanes, office buildings, theatres, etc.), I see no reason for anti-smoking laws or propaganda campaigns....

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a virulent anti-smoker. My mother used to smoke and she smoked in the car. My father got cancer of the larynx because of smoking. He's fine, but you should hear his voice. I couldn't stand it. I am in favor of most laws that restrict smoking. Living in California I have gotten quite used to there being no smoking anywhere. I am very surprised when I leave California and they ask me in a restaurant if I want smoking or no smoking.

That said, banning for placing a restriction on smoking in the movies is stupid! Just because some idiot sticks a toy car up his rectum and goes to see a doctor doesn't mean I am going to do it. Just because some dork drives his car off of a cliff doesn't mean I am going to drive my minivan off of a cliff. Just because I thought it was cool when Keanu Reeves shot like a thousand bullets in Matrix doesn't mean I am going to do the same. Just because some guy in a movie goes to bed with 5 high school babes doesn't mean I will. (Damn!) Just because some babe looks very sexy lighting up a cigarette in a movie doesn't mean I don't find cigarettes nasty and disgusting. After all, I don't have to kiss that woman in the movie. And by the way, I can't smell or breathe cigarette smoke that happens on film in a movie.

The concept of personal responsibility seems to have gone missing.

I still think smoking should be allowed in Bars that have no restaurants.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-14-2002 05:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The people who thought that up obviously have too much time on their hands, or they are trying to justify their jobs.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 05:46 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I'd hate to see what would happen if they re-released a Humphrey Bogart movie!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be like Pop-Up Video on VH1.

Someone goes to bed with someone else and an ad could pop-up and say, "To prevent pregnancy, use condoms." Two gay guys kiss and a pop-up could say "fight HIV, use condoms!" A kid starts to seduce a 15-year-old girl and the pop-up says "Remember kids it's statutory rape to have sex with an under-aged person." During the car chase the pop-up could say, "speed kills. Please keep it under the speed limit." During the atomic blast scene, "Write your congressman and encourage him to sign the anti-nuclear proliferation bill." And finally when Bogart gives Ingrid Bergman a cigarette it could say, "The United States Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking causes cancer." When a woman sips a drink, "The Surgeon General has determined that drinking causes birth defects."

Please, sit back and enjoy your film.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-14-2002 07:26 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they include the bubble sound effect I'm all for it! Otherwise, they can find something worthwill to bitch about.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-14-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with everyone here so far. To me smoking is disgusting and repugnant (is that redundant?). I don't smoke, never will, I hate it when other people smoke, and think people look damned stupid when they smoke. I also would never ask out a girl who smoked. But this suggestion is just lame. They cannot seriously expect it to be enforced like they want it to.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-14-2002 08:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe said " I also would never ask out a girl who smoked" but Joe what will she do after Sex

I am a confirmed Pipe smoker and always have felt it unjust that you can go into a pup and in the SMOKING AREA they don't permit pipe smoking

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 08:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to tobacco smoke. It irritates my nose to the point where I will sneeze six times in a row. I was kind of glad that Amendment 6 passed here in Florida which prohibits smoking in any enclosed public place except smoke shops and free standing bars. At last, I can enjoy a night at the bowling alley or pool hall without leaving looking like I have the flu or something. Nonetheless, I have no problem with people choosing to smoke.

Putting smoking in the ratings reasons is absurd, though. Our local newspaper in West Palm Beach ran a small column in the weekend movie section called "Is it OK for Kids" or something. Here, they listed absolutely everything remotely questionable, including smoking, drinking, women being hurt, and car accidents that was in the movie. While it may be useful to some people who want to shield themselves (or their children) from the dreaded on-screen-second-hand-smoke, it should not be a condition that determines a film's rating.
"Uh oh! Jack asked to 'Bum a smoke' in Titanic! We have to give it an R!!"

What's next? Going back and adding ratings reasons for films that "Contain images of the World Trade Center" Wait! No! I don't want to give anyone any ideas.

Gordon -- I've often wondered about places that don't allow pipe or cigar smoking. My mom's friend smoked a pipe, and I found it to be a lot less irritating to be around than cigarettes.

=TMP=

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 09:55 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, here on campus, a lot of people smoke and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with the sick feeling I get when I have to breath in stagnant cigarette smoke in the bus tunnel, or just outside the entrance.

Smoking in the ratings is completely absurd. I'm sure something this stupid will blow over in a few weeks........

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-14-2002 09:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think cigarette smoking is a filthy, disgusting habit. I certainly applaud any laws banning smoking in restaurants and other indoor-public places. I would even greatly enjoy it if smoking were banned in night clubs.

But it serves no purpose to tag a movie with an R-rating or special warning just because cigarette smoking is involved. Also, do the proponents of this rule know what kind of effect it will have? I strongly doubt it.

Many people want to discourage teen smoking. Teenagers have more smoke belching out of their heads than the smoke stacks of a steel mill. Teens think smoking is cool, primarily because they are not supposed to do it. It is rebellious behavior. What will happen by plastering new "smoking warnings" on movies? More teens will smoke.

This is just like those Parental Advisory stickers on music CDs with foul language and lurid content. That's like the quality seal of approval for many teens. They're listening to the "tough" music then.

Hell, I remember when Tipper Gore was addressing a senate subcommittee on behalf of the PMRC. She held up the W.A.S.P. 12" album single "Animal: I F**k like a Beast". The cover art featured a blood-drenched fellow wearning a cod-piece equipped with a circular saw blade. My reaction to that (keep in mind I was like 16 at the time) was to run out and buy a copy.

If people want to discourage smoking, particularly among teens, they have to find ways to embarrass the living shit out of teens who smoke. Insult them. Ridicule them. Make them feel like they have been accused of not bathing in a week or brushing their teeth at all in the last year. Tell them they stink like shit. If teenagers can't score any cool points for smoking they might not do it. But just telling them "no, you can't smoke" is going to make them want to do it even more.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-14-2002 11:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, maybe you should ask a girl if she smokes after sex....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: